Large scale internet overload ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

This....
    Sometimes even trying to get to youtube at all is nearly impossible.

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I had the problem that 1080p would not start to load ever, but 720p was fine (at least sometimes). Then I disabled Hardware Acceleration in flash and 1080p loaded as fast as it could. Just now everything youtube is broken again and loads only the next 8 seconds, then stalls. Sometimes, reporting speed issues with the current video helped directly. As if telling them again that your internet speed is above 20Mb gives you a better download slot. --> Youtube is a weirdo.

3. REX

REX Member

Yes especially youtube seems to have become horrible eternal buffering and sometimes it just seems to force me onto 240p they seem to be prioritising paying channels and popular stuff and if you bumble around the odd videos some of them even seem unable to load at all.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Same for the UK, but I don't mind paying. The BBC still produces quality content and I use their services every day, so I don't mind the £150ish/year license fee.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I would happily pay 3 times the license fee for more services from the BBC.
    The quality is pretty good, their sports coverage is usually pretty good and the holy grail of no adverts. I barely watch TV, I cancelled my Sky because I hadn't plugged the box in for 3 months after moving the TV...

Also bring back the world service.

6. Trickster

I listen to BBC world service a lot when I'm in the Netherlands. I'm still kind of upset that the BBC lost full coverage of F1 to Sky, not to mention that Jake Humphrey left now. But we still have Sky. It's pretty great because I can watch anything on Sky live via my VPN, not to mention all the football. To be honest, we only watch the things you'd get on freeview, plus Sky Sports with HD, for football and F1. Pretty much everything else is a waste.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Some reason I regularly get 4kb/s upload, but still 4-10mb/s download.
    I blame australias shit net. I paid fucking 250 dollars for setup and this is what I get.

8. Trickster

Yeah, I get ~600 kB/s download on an off-peak really good time, but I never break 40kB/s upload.

Doesn't Australia have shitty download caps though no matter which ISP you go with? Some UK ISPs give true unlimited now (no fair usage policy) if you're on a line which supports their equipment. Sadly I'm not on such a line but, I know it's pretty good for people who are.

9. Empty

Empty Member

We're on 200gb a month at my place

It's enough but in a fair world it'd be unlimited.

10. Trickster

With my previous ISP, they told me it was unlimited, minus a fair usage policy. I was downloading an average of about 200GB/month at the time. They sent an email complaining, said to stop it. So I dropped it down to 100GB/month. Then I got an email a month later saying we were being dropped as a customer. I rung up to kick off about it, and asked what "unlimited" actually meant.

"Well, it's based on an average of your area. If you're in a city it'll be around 40GB, but rurally it'll be closer to 20GB. Either way, it's more than anyone could ever reasonably need".

I was not pleased.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Restrictions like that were horrible in Belgium for most of the time. It wasn't untill 3 years ago that they removed those insane limitations. For years many had a limit of 10 GB download and 2 GB upload, while people in other countries had 100GB or even no limit at all. There were actually games coming out on steam that were 8 GB to download.

Then when it got into the media often my ISP improved it to 12GB/month for download+upload. Since i didn't upload, that was 2 GB more i could download. Then a few years later i had a limit of 20GB and i just found that out by accident. (i noticed i hadn't been dropped to 4 kbps for reaching the limit for a while and looked into it).

And then for some reason, while it took nearly a decade to go from 4 GB to 12, they went from 20 to 60 to 100 and now fair use policy in 2 years. Their site mentions that i get noticed as a big user between 150 GB and 650 GB.

To me ... that IS limitless.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

wtf i though euros all had imba interwebs

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Internet comparison general
    [​IMG]
    (We get free internet)

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Wait, are you serious it's free, and it's that fucking fast? Holy shit I hate this country.

I did a speed test on my phone for my school's open wifi, and it has a download of 10 Mbps, upload of 15 Mbps. I am totally going to do all of my downloading at school now.

16. BigTeef

We rent out a portion of our house, they pay for internet and cable.
    We knock money off their rent for letting us use it.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Holy crap jews are so intelligent. It's like you win triple and they lose quadruple.

18. BigTeef

:C

<6chars>

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I get 15/15 down/up from my dorm WiFi. On the wired I can hit 75+.

20. REX

REX Member

hmm well I never ever had a limit from any ISP here and I download a serious amount of crap all the time, never had them say anything

I guess its not all that bad here.