Large scale internet overload ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Mar 17, 2013.

1. REX

REX Member

Got a question have you guys had the impression that the internet bandwidth has gotten shittier everywhere ?

I find my own connection, my parents, brother and even the university seems weaker than it used to slower load times, shitty streaming and buffering, ping

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yes, my torrents aren't as fast as they used to be.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Quite the opposite, everything goes faster these days. Every year is better than the previous one without any extra cost or effort on my side.

Of course, websites have so much flashy stuff and automatically enabled instantly starting movies and commercials, ...
    You need 200 times as much speed to be able to load them as quickly as 8 years ago, when it was just text with one or 2 small images in them

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Hmmm, I wouldn't notice.
    I had really bad internet like a few months ago, the moment I plugged in a Ethernet cable instead of using wireless it worked 10x better.

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Not in Canada! Where Telecom companies have the masses by the balls.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

One of my buddies in the UK mentioned they got Fiber optic cables on a national level or something, going to improve their overall internet.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

The connection is always shit where I live. Comcast can suck an elephants shit covered balls. The speed is great... the ping is ok.... its the CONSTANT SHIT SERVICE THAT GETS ME! Watching a movie on TV and then... BAM nothing for a minute. I can be on the internet and the cable router box will reset(literally power cycle) 4-5 times a day some times. They say there is nothing wrong so they won't let us exchange it.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

ISPs are forced to do more traffic shaping to remain profitable and competative. In most densely populated areas bandwidth is increasing but not always in sync with increased demand. Sometimes the physical infrastructure just isn't there and it costs huge amounts of time and money to put it there.

Depends very much on your ISP - but you can be pretty certain that at some point between your traffic is being classified, if not policed by Quality of Service.

The UK is pretty densly populated and quite small, despite everything being built on top of victorian roads we do have pretty good backbone connectivity and a pretty good amount of investment thrown at it. In the past few years last mile" fiber to people's homes has become available but I wouldn't say it was common place yet but it isn't prohibitively expensive where it is available, not much more than broadband over copper.

Interesting netrics - http://www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

BT Infinity is in my town and it's not that big (Loughborough) in the UK. I get 72mb down and 17mb up. Only been available for a year or so but I can see it lasting me a long long time before an upgrade is needed. Only the villages lose out in the UK because no company sees it as a worthwhile investment.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Fiber optics is becoming the standard. My ISP put me on Fibernet automatically almost 2 years ago for no extra cost. I had a slightly above average internet contract but by now i'm guessing at least half the people should be using it.

Edit: well actually ... the backbone is fiber optics anyway for everyone everywhere, and the last yards in the streets are coax cable for everyone everywhere, so the "fibernet" i have is nothing more than a name. Almost no one has access to a 100% fiber optic network here, there's always a few yards of cable.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

DE CIX has a peak flow of ~ 2530 Gbit/s every day. That may sound much, but concerning how many ISPs all around Europe are routing their traffic through it isn't. I've read an article a year ago, that technological availability of more powerful routers would always be holding those Internet Exchange Points back. Most of them would operate close to their maximum possible level of throughput/routing.

12. REX

REX Member

hmm I just have this feeling that all the new services like netflix and cloud stuff like dropbox is sometimes slowing everything down. I can sense it depending on day of the week and what time. I go from 100/100 to fuck all where I am at. At the university it often turns to shit in the first 4-5 hours of the day I suspect people are syncing their dropbox folders on to the uni computers that just dumps them at the end of the day when they lock off.
    It just didnt seem that bad to me like 1-2 years ago...... my phone calls also never ever used to be dropped. I never really got those commedy references to like AT&T until like this month now my calls are dropped all the fucking time.

The row houses im living in now have 100/100 and are going to get 250/250 in a week or so and are talking about trying to get 1000/1000.
    It wasnt a problem sharing 100/100 a year ago same nr. of people.

13. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i dont like how ISP has control over an area and you cant do shit about it.

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

You can. You can start your own. Quite a few villages, towns or even cities have done so.
    Ohh and another good trick if you want your ISP to invest in infrastructure in your area is to go around to everyone in the area and get them to register their interest with the ISP. Or just register everyone yourself

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My internet in the UK comes via the phone line which has probably been there since the early 1900s. All the lines/exchange are owned by BT regardless of which ISP you go with. As a result of this, I have to pay more money for a shittier connection. Most ISPs would cap me at 20-40GB, though Virgin don't. I get a maximum of 5mbps. My connection constantly drops, and sometimes goes days where we don't have one. I believe that back in the UK, my household hasn't had internet for 3 days. This is a pretty normal occurrence. They have no intentions of ever upgrading our lines.

It fucking sucks.

16. REX

REX Member

Yeah we have a copper net aswell owned by TDC so most connections are also just like that.
    The energy companies started to put down fiber on a large scale but failed to get enough support and now the dirty fuckers at TDC bought it and
    re established their monopoly.
    I once saw our politicians arguing in a hearing on tv. A lot were against fibre.
    then one of those shitkickers say we need 1000/1000 to every home! which is impossible on the old net. Worst of all none of the people who were supposed to be for getting large scale fibre corrected the other side showing that NONE of them knew wtf they were talking about. It was an odd mixture of wanting to strangle them and embarrassment over my government.
    It is ridiculous as it is becoming almost as important as running water over here. The wast majority of government stuff you need to do is now digital here taxes, medical journals, hunting licenses, all kinds of shit with the municipality. They even issued every single citizen with a government email address and made one single system to log on to all of them and it keeps expanding. Its also used to log onto your bank account. Yet they dont invest in the infrastructure.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, it's pretty similar in the UK. I have a government gateway thing which I'm supposed to use. Problem is that if you don't live in a city, it's not worth the money for the ISPs to put fibre in, the density isn't high enough. That's where the government should be stepping in to put it down themselves, but they can't be bothered. They've said my county (County is like a very small state, it's a name for an area) should have 97% fibre coverage by 2015, but I can't see it happening.

18. REX

REX Member

hmm so it sucks everywhere not just here, unless you live in just the right place.

What pisses me off the most is our media license. It used to be TV license a relic from the 50s forcing everyone who owned a tv to pay money to our public service channel. That channel has grown into like 6 channels that have nothing to do with public service.
    They then made a web page and BOOM the already retarded license was expanded to be for ANYONE with an internet connection even on a phone because people have "free" access to their page.
    They rake in more than a billion dollars every year to produce piss poor tv that I havent seen in more than 5 years. They even have big dudes roll around in cars threatening people to pay forcing their credit card info out of them. I will never ever pay. I would rather set fire to myself.

If that money had been put into a proper infrastructure every year we would have blazingly fast internet everywhere, rather than just pissing it away.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

What's really annoying is how slow YouTube has become for me. I can hardly watch in 720p because download is so slow at some times.