L4D Demo: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ScardyBob, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sirATthebox

sirATthebox Member

:( boo! That was fun - ah well, will have to wait for them to release the whole game then :DD

2. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Ahhh... I head shot all the time, but they don't seem to immediately die so I keep bullets on their head till they go down. So they just take a long time stutter and fall down? lol

I've got the russian demo. Not patched at all. XD Yey for server commands and hunter wall jumping! ^,^;

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ive played the demo and its well nice but NOT AS AMAZING as
    they want to tell you.

It feels and looks like a well done mod.

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

It's not as scary as i thought it would be, but apart from that it's exactly how previews described it.

What disappointed you most Mayama?

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, thought of that...
    As I didn't hate EA enough, VALVE is going to make me sad now too?

rrrrrRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It's ok. Zombie running animations are good. Can't see much long term appeal though. Once you've done the demo a couple of times in expert mode there isn't much motivation to do it again.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah the demo has all the enemys of the full game... there is nothing
    new to fight. :(

The whole game feels like "go to a room/area wait till everything is dead
    and go to the next area."
    I doesnt matter if you find equipment somewhere else, or what attacks you.
    Because you have to aim at it and kill it anyway.

Want to know what game comes to my mind while playing that?
    Double dragon, ^^

Oh and the other disappointment is that it feels and look like a mod for source.
    The typical source engine feel and some of the high polished mods have
    the same quality of content for free.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Well, as I understand the full version will allow people to play as the Zombies. This may not sound like much but its the same concept as in Zombie Master and that mod has lots of replayability IMO. I'm also pretty sure you'll start seeing tons of fun and quirky custom maps that will add endless hours of amusement.

Moral of the story: I don't think a two map demo is indicative of the entire game.

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yup, i think the versus mode will add a whole new dimension to the game, playing against humans is (hopefully) much more exciting than fighting some bots.

The replayability of the coop mode is limited because it's like you play a linear single player game with 3 friends. You will love it the first time, but it get's repetitive.

Considering the demo is only a tiny part of the game and i had more than 15 hours fun with it, it's still impressing.

Bottom line: I like it and a steady flow of custom maps and new campaign will make L4D worth the money.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

not gonna happen on the same level as the 4 maps that come with the game are...

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Graphic wise L4D indeed has not that much to offer (compared to many recently released games). But the zombies look and behave great, which is what matters most (in the visual aspect). Also it's certainly not like the gfx are bad, and imo people should be satisfied with them. Valve has always put gameplay over gfx, and have always payed a lot attention to what hardware the average steam user has to reach as many people as possible.

To me the gameplay is insanely addictive. I didn't even had to convince my 2 friends to buy it, they tried it here on my pc and bought it the same day. Now we're playing the demo with the 3 of us every evening for about 90 minutes using microphones and ingame voice spam ^^

I HAVE gotten tired of (looking at) both maps, yet somehow that doesn't stop me from enjoying myself when i'm playing them again and again. I'm very much looking forward to the other 18 maps.

Also, as was the case with HL2 for me, i also bought it because of the mods i'm hoping will pop up.

To be honest, this mod made me want to make maps for it several times already.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Hmm, nothing to do with l4d, but the "the community will fix it" mentality
    of the gaming industry nowadays... "looks at battlefield series"

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Valve already stated that they will add new content to L4D later on, as they do with tf2.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's interesting that this game runs so well on very old computers.

Anyway, I'll have to buy a decent mouse after destroying old one by playing SourceForts.

15. Spooky

Spooky Member

How did you bind H to console without using the console...?
    (unless you know were the demo files are located!!! I NEED LOCATION...
    i want to scriptz and edit files!!!!!!)

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah then you can stop fucking tking us.

17. Cloud

Cloud Member

I like the demo, although i don't like how friggin fast they fix the bugs.
    One day you could take a shortcut in the first part, the other day your character would cling onto the edge waiting to be rescued.

I love the auto shotty and the fact that you can reload while bashing zombies

O rite, who's your favourite character? I prefer playing as Zoey, but i often end up as Louis D:.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Well, my mouse reacted to clicking 1 second after pressing the button. :P Works fine with TF2 and Empires most of the time.

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Right click the game in steam, then add -console.

But it only appears on the menu, but as said, it removes itself after I start Singleplayer. Not sure about MP.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Also in multiplayer.

Haven't done this since the patch, but before you could use -console to have it appear in the menu when you just started the game like DZ said. Then you could use it to bind it to a key. Then when you did anything the console would go away just as before but at least this time you could use that key to bring it up again at any time.