L4D Demo: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ScardyBob, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Man, this shit is freaky. Kind of makes me feel like I'm in the 28 days or 28 months movies. Anyone else get that feeling?

2. Cloud

Cloud Member

Nope, 'cause i haven't pre-ordered it.
    I'll have to wait until it hits the stores.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

I bit disappointed, but it's just a demo and i haven't played it with friends yet (and i won't untill the weekend).
    Normal and advanced are much too easy, so i'll be trying expert mode today.

It certainly was enjoyable and didn't get boring, but it didn't give me that "shit we're gonna die" feeling. I played it like i used to play quake 3 (just shoot them as quick as possible), with only a little bit more tension. The only thing i did notice was that you do want to stay with everyone, or you'll have a 50/50 chance of dying.

I played each level twice (two difficulties) and it's true that they played out a lot differently each time. It was as fun the second time as it was the first. The main problem for me is that not once did i got scared. Or panicked. Either i wasn't in the right mood (just came home from work 15 minutes before midnight), or it's just not scary. At least it did not succeed at all in sucking me into the story.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah I didn't get scared at all. The main reason I get scared is because I'm on my own. When there's other people it's not really a big deal that there's 1000 zombies running towards you, because I can throw a pipebomb and they all run towards it.

5. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

My only problem with it so far, is the demo download is too big. *waits eagerly*

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Normal difficulty is good for the first try, advanced is good for the first hours, but after that play on expert and the game is challenging and scary.

Nothing better than getting a smoker and a boomer after you at the same time. I got so paranoid after that, that i tked a mate only because i heard a hunter crawling around.

The replayability of the demo is pretty impressive too, although some things repeat, like that you always have to fight a tank at the end of the 2nd map.

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha, played it three time by now, never had to fight a tank at the end of the second map.

8. McGyver

Try playing it on expert. :P

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

the coop is great, we were playing on expert, and we were really looking out for each other, can't wait to play the whole game with friends :D

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Easy to advanced will feel like a walk in the park for anyone who has ever spent decent time on an fps with a thumb stick. Expert was exhilarating I must say. It was fun even though me and my friend got killed on the second part three times before giving up. You really can't ever count on anything being in a certain place except for safe rooms (checkpoints). That means items, zombies, better guns, etc. I never really felt safe anywhere, knowing that piles of zombies could be sent at me any time.

Boss monsters on expert are a bitch. Its a pain to keep up with a smoker grabbing me through a subway window so my teamates can't shoot the smoker while a boomer was able to spray the entire team, eventually leading to death at the hands of the infected. Kickass.

It is an action game, and you'll rarely if ever be scared. Also, I suspect that after playing left 4 dead a while you'll become very used to surprises, and it'll melt down to a fast paced co-op action survival game. Which isn't a bad thing. Oh, and don't play with noobs. Every player will friendly fire at least once during a mission in order to save you from zombies, but a noob player who friendly fires enough could destroy your team. It really sucks when a teamate backs his head in the muzzle of your gun while your firing and it depletes his health halfway.

Will this game stand the test of replayability? I'm betting yes, but only because of the versus mode.

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

LOL! I think that would be me right now. I was just playing the single player and during a few of the waves I was just spraying and praying. Especially when I got covered with that damn boomer slime. If ff was on under normal difficulty, then I would have killed all my teammates in the first 10 minutes.

12. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

lol... Remind me not to play with you than.

One major gripe I have is checkpoints. When you die and have gotten a checkpoint, you return back to the state you were in when you got there. If you got especially bad luck in the first half, than your screwed no matter how many times you retry the second half.

13. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

At least they don't strip you of your weapons R-Type style :p . Sadly I can't play the demo because the system requirements are "WTF Crysis" high or maybe they're lying? I don't know I'll see if the demo runs when it goes public. :p

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

They're lying, its not nearly as WTF as WTF CRYSIS and it should scale down well, if you can run OB that is.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Though, I bet they would like you to run them on a Crysis-level. Even on medium settings, it looks stunning :)

16. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

The demo looks amazing. The Source engine really really really excells at dark indoor environments.

Gameplay is fucking amazing. While I agree that I have never truely been scared, That shit gets suspenseful, Especially after fighting off a horde of zombies only to be thrown to the ground by a hunter, or dragged off by a Smoker.

I Witch is a Bitch, but, I haven't been killed by her yet. The Tank is also a bitch, but, hes easier to kill than the witch.
    Also, the only way to play is on expert. Also, I blame the lack of 2.2 this week on L4D Demo...This shit is FUN

17. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I only heard the moaning of the witch. Never saw her. This made me sad. The map feels a bit cluttered, or is that just me?

First time I played, I went down the stairs from the roof, and then there was an attack... From the roof. I was like. "Wtf. How'd they get up there?" That was silly. :p

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Do I have to send the ninjas again to get you to work!!! D:

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

L4D has one problem. During the first half hour of playing farcry2, after having played L4D for a while, i was turning around looking at every corner to see if there were zombies. Couldn't stop it.

Edit:
    Just played coop for the first time, on expert. It's a lot better than the single player. Now all i need is for my real life buddies to buy it so we can play through to game on the 18th with headsets.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  20. McGyver

Only problem i have with L4D is that playing with random strangers sucks most of the time. Either they run off (i'm rambo!) or stay far behind (i'm exploring!) and then they disconnect after 5 minutes leaving you behind with a team full of bots.