Killspawning, what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I've been kinda thinking about this, what's is your opinion on killspawning? A necessary evil? A small nuisance to put up with? A good idea? A way to make games exciting?

Personally I find it something that encourages aggressive gameplay. Knowing you can be back in base in 10 seconds makes defending positions feel like a moot point. I've just been wondering how games would play out if it wasn't around. Knowing you couldn't pop anywhere in a flash would make defense a key part in strategy. I know defense is something to care about in current empires, but it feels mostly like a small after thought. Like there is no reason to tell somebody to stay at some place that isn't a frontline.

Before someone says that there is nothing you can do about it, there is plenty of things to penalize killing yourself. But this isn't a suggestion thread, this is pretty much a gameplay feature at this point. Just wondering what your guys opinion on this is?

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Valid gameplay tactic. Remember that killspawning back to base removes manpower on the front lines, and games have been lost because an entire team would killspawn to main leaving an entire front undefended.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

It's great when it works, but when it doesn't its a waste of tickets.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

My view is that everything about it is mostly fine. You can get anywhere where your team has a spawn point with a slight penalty, in essence trading a ticket for saving time. So in gameplay terms, it's fine. The problem I have with it is that it's not a very intuitive thing. Going further back in time, it's fine because it's wasn't really a feature, it's was just a particular use of mechanics. But the fact is that killspawning has reached the point of being a feature, and I feel that it should be treated as such, with all the polish and in-game information that comes with a feature that can be considered a core component of gameplay.

5. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Meele + speed + grenadier = boxer grenadier

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Meh... I am thinking make kill spawning mean you have to stand still for 5 seconds to spawn in barracks without using ticket. Your body should disintegrate like it was hit with those plasma balls in portal. That way there is no trace left of your body for your team mates to fuck over trying to revive. Its nearly impossible to do on the front line near enemies.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Pretty much this.

A system that lets players pay a penalty to teleport to existing spawn points is a fine mechanic, but making players kill themselves is shitty.

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

How often are you inside a barrack when you are forced to killspawn?

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't like it, myself, but the way Empires matches are played out it's a necessity. Still, I'd rather see the penalty for suicide larger than what it currently is.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

completely unintuitive.
    </thread>

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's a necessary feature but the way it's not implemented is complete and utter fail.

We need a proper system for killspawning and we need it yesterday.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You mean "recall"?

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I think he means 'beaconing' like in Natural Selection. Every barracks should have it with a cooldown and some cost for the commander.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nonono we should totally have a mass recall ability like the SC2 Mothership, just add an ability to the commander to recall everyone in a set radius back to the CV - no more assholes lonewolfing and ninjas will have an extra layer of fun to their game.

Totally legit :p

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

hahaha, and the commander should also have the invisibility field so when you're boomtanking you hide tanks, infantry, and buildings.

16. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[VVB] Be right back!

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

AND he's flying in the air AND he can cast a time warp bubble. We're totally on to something.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We need to add a button in the spawn menu that says suicide. I'm pretty sure we already have a blank bind for it in the controls menu.

Nothing else is required, the system works fine and doesn't need improving in any way. Lots of large-mapped games have killspawning, it's a common and perfectly normal game mechanic.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

A button that just says "Suicide", I dunno, it just doesn't seem enough for me.

I guess what I want is a way that doesn't require people to read a manual to figure it out, but now that I think about it, there's not really any intuitive way to move to any spawn point on the map that doesn't involve either it being told about by other players, in a manual, or in a tutorial.

Ahhh, if only the tutorial worked...

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think there's a redeploy feature in a game I played recently, but for the life of me I can't recall it. What it really needs is some crazy particles drawn over the person respawning and then like a 10 second countdown (while they're frozen in place) and then they can respawn as normal. Alternatively, if you can have the body disintegrate on a suicide death (which admittedly might be a pain if you get stuck and unstuck doesn't work and then you need to suicide), that might work as well.

Personally I think crazy effects and freeze time could be better because you could write a new method in for it, so it hopefully could be treated differently than regular respawn, meaning it wouldn't have the revive problems or be mistaken in any real fashion.