Jeeps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by CobaltBlue, May 31, 2008.

1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

This just needs to be said ALOT. There has to be some way to restrict jeeps without restricting everything. Maybe make jeeps researchable so I never ever have to see my team making them ever ever evar again?

2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

No. Jeeps are important for early game expansion.

3. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

First. No. They aren't. APC are, but jeeps are only important for handycapping teammates.

Second. An individual persons opinion about jeeps isn't the important issue. When you comm you are more than welcome to give your team jeeps in an attempt to 'PWN' me when I don't give my team jeeps. The point is that it is a personal playing strategy/preference. I nor my team shouldn't be force to cope with jeep spammer in our attempt to play the game.

4. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Member

If it had a one slot MG of some kind, it would be more important early game.

Otherwise, not so much. Maps are simply too small for it.

5. petemyster

petemyster Member

useless atm, will have a role in 3.0 with the mega maps, cause the jeeps will be faster than the APC's, making them better for rushing key points.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

And there is already plans on giving it MG/ML turrets, used by infantry.

Use the search button.

7. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

yea, so when 3.0 comes out jeeps will be a big use in empires for early refinery control and rush points.

8. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I HAVE read that people want to give it an mg turret. --And on larger maps in version 3.0 AKA Empires the waiting, with MGs on them, I'd still refrain from researching them as commander.

A longer distance just makes a mobile spawn-point that much more important. 75% of jeep purchases end in a one way ticket to a single destination, and either get blown-up or ditched and waist a vehicle spot for 3 minutes. If the user of that jeep dies, they have to buy a new one to get back over there. If they need help other people need to buy a jeep to get aid to them. The difference in arival time would have to be enough for the jeep to get there and build a RAX before the APC arrived, and even with good meaning tactics like that, the jeep would still get abused by jeep waisters.

I'm not trying to tell you not to use jeep, I'm trying to make it so I don't have to if I don't want to. If it were the first thing in the mechanical menu, that'd work fine I'd think.

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

restrict the vf and drop the tanks yourself.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

And you'll get completely slaughtered when your APC arrives at key locations a minute or so late, only to find that the enemy already has a barracks and several turrets there because they used jeeps and rushed.

The maps are too small for jeeps to be good right now (and I think that the speed difference between them and APCs is maybe not enough -- APCs could stand to be slowed down a bit, they shouldn't be useful transportion options until you've researched better engines.)

But the basic concept of using jeeps for early movement could be fleshed out quite effectively.

11. Demented

Demented Member

Can't we just make the jeeps useful?
    Or, failing that, make them cost 25 resources, buyable from an armory, and they never, ever, ever spin out.

That way they'd be decent for the busy base-bitch on the go.

12. Vaun

Vaun Member

jeeps will be much more useful if they dont change where a persons aiming while theyre turning, same with all other passenger gun seats.

I heard jeeps are getting mounted guns (like the hogs in halo and ww2 jeeps).

13. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

Why don't we just replace the jeep with a humvee/technical (that can carry a machine gun or a homing missile but not both)? OR failing that, what about doing what one guy suggested and make the jeep a dispense vehicle ammo?

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i used to think jeeps should be allowed, but honestly they're just annoying. everything about them is annoying. even fighting them is annoying. they have too much armour so that even a grenadier is likely to have trouble taking them out

imo: make them cost 35 res, have no armour, take damage from small arms and MG turrets; THEN you'd have something with a bit of purpose. then you can add the armoured version with machinegun when that malarkey is all coded later.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Holy shit that's sexy.

I'd support making them vulnerable to small arms fire, actually I'd support making HMGs come with AP ammunition which can damage all vehicles but which would only do enough damage to be effective against lightly armored targets like jeeps and maybe the odd light tank/APC if you get a couple of gunners on it.

This would be keeping in mind the proposed deployability of HMGs though.

Jeeps though should indeed be destroyable with a bit of small arms fire, perhaps two AR clips to strip one plate of armor, and a further clip to destroy the body, that way if you have two or three riflemen you would be running a risk attacking them, and as a jeep with a gunner uses up two soldiers, the jeep makes up the difference in numbers. Whatever you do you'd have to use hit and run tactics, you couldn't just park up and hose people down because your armor would get eaten pretty fast.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  17. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Member

18. Demented

Demented Member

Actually, it's the hull health and not the armor. Nearly all vehicles have 150 hull health. Only exceptions are jeeps (120), apcs (80), NF heavy (100), and the command vehicles (1200), that I know of.

For reference, the NF RPG does 80 damage. The BE RPG does 105.

19. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

20. BumGravy

BumGravy Member