Is Empires dead, dying, or just on hold...

Discussion in 'General' started by LordRoY, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Dubee's right. 2.0 is still a new game :)

I don't expect what is currently referred to as "3.0" to be out before next fall/winter and maybe with a different name and on a different engine.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

In software development, I think the cycle is sometimes v.Current is done... Where's v.Next? ;)

2.x is a great game... We all want to know when it's getting even better (e.g. taken to the next level)... Personally, I've been wondering how long it'll take some commercial game studio to pick up Empires. People play really complex games these days, I think it'd sell better then Halo 3.

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

2.2 is SLOWLY being worked on. Krenzo won't go commercial on the halflife engine, so that is a ways off.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

He can, but he needs to license the thing, which is a few hundred thousand, if not near a million.

edit: oops, misread Evan's post as "can't" instead of "won't". Meh, I'll leave it be. Good troll bait :)

5. Reef

Reef Member

You guys remember the 2.1 release? It added... New walls. It's nothing compared to the mod itself, but it was so fun to have a new version!
    If there would be a single new research item or map or vehicle model added every 6 weeks, everyone would be like omg I can't wait!. Knowing the date of the small release is much easier to predict and for players it's very fun to actually know the release date. I would say sometimes it's worth more than the if there are 4 or 3 features in it. (this is ofcourse all about what will be _after_ porting to OB).

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

so if does decide to go commerical he'll do what, make his own engine? Seems like alot of hard work. Do what garrys mod did I, and save yourself from starting from scartch.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

petemyster: why do you care?

9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

There are open source engines out there that can compete with HL2

For example, check out: http://www.urbanterror.net

If Urban Terror went commercial it would still cost them $$, but much much less than HL2.

10. taiiat

taiiat Member

do we really need a new physx engine? source is fine for empires. and reef, for once you see my side of the situation. small releases are just as good if not better than having one huge release. if we do that, im thinkin a new gun(as it seems the simplest to me) every month or so? and new vehicles&aircraft&ships every once in a while. then prety much after a year, empires'll be loaded! there would eb sooooo many guns... it would take you like 2-5 min just to choose your loadout! i do have some weapon suggestions:
    THEY ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS DONT CRITICIZE EM
    --missile launcher(slower rate of fire than the RPG, but does more damage than even fully upgraded RPG)
    --heavy sniper rifle(mix between heavy rifle and the sniper rifle)
    --shotgun(its very odd that there isnt one)
    --heavy pistol(.50 cal pistol)
    --cluster mortar(the mortar just makes some grenades when it hits an object)
    --knife(not that great damage but has no ammo)

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I'm not saying we need a new engine to continue to play Empires. I'm saying if Krenzo wants to go commercial we need a new engine.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Small releases is still asking for too much.. Thats what we did before 2.0 came out and if you guys ever played 1.7 you would realize how many changes were made to get 2.0.. we had like 30 damn rc's and thousands of bug fixes and new things.. But this was all after krenzo left the navy and was still getting paid by them.. That was free time to work on the mod that he doesn't have anymore.. And then the recent switch to the OB has brought up A LOT of new issues that are making it unreleasable.. So chill out and enjoy this already great game..

13. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

id be surprised if 3.0 wasnt released. this is one of the longest living mods about other than CS:S, and the leap from one engine was a bold move but it paid off

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

CS:S isn't a mod...

15. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

cs WAS an internal mod

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

CS, yes, but if you go there, theres also TFC to consider, which beat Counter-Strike by about a month and a half.

17. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

So what? :D

He's just saying it's been around awhile

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I know, I just love TFC so much that I simply cannot let that somewhat relevant fact be overlooked here :p

19. J_4mes.

J_4mes. Member

empires should take out a loan build their own engine and release it as a game! 'one small step for man.. one giant leap for empire's kind!'^^

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

If steamworks was available for mods then a high frequency release schedule would be tenable (not taking programming into account) but as it stands downloading content that often would lose Empires the more casual players

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.