Interesting game... however...

Discussion in 'General' started by LordRoY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

IF headshots do double damage which last I checked they did (although I might very well be wrong about that) then the most the rifle can do is 120 damage; the hp upgrade gives them 130 hp. The rifleman armor only reduces this by a fairly small fraction. The best way to know is if you knock them back. If you saw blood splatter but he did NOT get pushed back hella far, then the issue occurred.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

They were standing against a wall, not sure if they could be pushed anywhere (I was behind them, the wall was on the other side of them, they were facing it).

So, maybe he had the HP upgrade and I only did 120 damage to his 130 health. That may have been the answer in this particular case, but they dont ALL take the health upgrade, and I really feel that the scoped-rifle doesnt hit where it is aimed a whole lot.

SMG2 & SABOTAGE is the best route for the Scout, I guess.

-=R=-

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Of course, SMG2 is made of win. :D

4. Chahk

Chahk Member

Have you tried combining that with Melee Upgrade? Nothing like speaking up on an Engy reparing that VF you just sabotaged and whacking him over the head :)

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Won't he hear you coming though? xD

6. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

Id rather shoot him.

And I never seem to get to a 2nd skill upgrade, first being Hide, naturally. So melee upgrade really doesn't get even looked at very often.

-=R+-

7. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Get your first skill point fpr free - join a squad.

8. Scikar

Scikar Member

He already said he spends that on hide. It's not technically free anyway, it's more on credit, since you don't get a skill unlock with your first promotion if you're in a squad.

9. MKM

MKM Member

I really like the 5th idea of surrender, although I think it should be the commander that should be able to press a surrender key so that he doesn't have to suicide the CV, it's just lame.

10. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

Exactly. I am the one who seems to have to tell everyone to join squads. There are lots of us newbies out there, some have no idea to "squad up" at the begining. I kinda wish that the squad join would be a choice after the Commander vote but BEFORE the class/skill choosing, as is now, you have to go back into the class/skill choice menu after all of it. A little streamlining would be nice.

The problem with having the commander having all the power to surrender is that some people will grief (like the suicide of the CV). Making it a vote system with a high percentage needed to pass (but not 100%) will make it work. The reason for this is, say, a bad commander who goes AFK ect...

Its just a good idea I think.

-=R=-

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You're forgetting about damage falloff, i doubt it's an instant kill from that far away.

12. Chahk

Chahk Member

loltypo :p
    Yes, but alt-fire does not unhide you. Scout + SMG2 + Hide + Melee Upgrade = never need to uncloak.

13. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

Well, I hate creeping all the way across the map anyway.

If you are never going to use the SMG, why bother changing to it might as well go ahead and get the scoped light rifle (not a sniper rifle).

-=R=-

14. PaperJack

PaperJack Member

LordRoY , i'm not really onto sniping , still i can EASILY snipe someone from middle emp_money and giving an headshot . I suggest getting the " Accuracy " upgrade for better aim .
    I saw people making headshots from the Red doods base to the city in emp_cyclopean too .
    It's a personal thing i believe , everyone got different aiming .

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I personally as a matter of principle never surrender. I will keep fighting and shooting when the CV is surrounded.

sadly I broke my own rule for the first time a couple days ago when a noob stole the CV i had been voted into (I was actually typing "press C to join a squad" :() and spent all our resources on useful things such as an armoury miles away from our barracks in a corner of the map noone would ever visit, and also a nice long line of walls in the middle of a massive field. If we had been against a noob team then I would have fought hard but we were against Hipovski, who I was very much looking forward to dueling, and the team was 1/3 scouts anyway.

16. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

My main issue is when no one is alive, except for the commander, he is surrounded by enemy, there is no spawn point, and the enemy team is not killing th CV for whatever reason. Not a huge issue, but I can count too many times when this has happened. People just dont want to finish the map off and go to the next for whatever reason.

-=R=-

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It annoys the hell out of me when people quit because they feel they are losing. Your fighting a hard defense when you realize half your team have quit the server. It's hard, but I have been in games when a team on the brink of losing has turned the game around into a victory. And even if you do lose, holding out as long as you can is damn good fun to me. And it's about respect. I'd be embarrassed if people thought I just give up when it starts getting tough.

18. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

I generally agree, however...

In the above situation, where it IS hopeless and there is no reason to continue... would it not be good to go to the next map and try again?

Have you ever played games such as Warcraft or Simcity where it is just impossible to come back from, and its time to move on or restart the next game? Something like that.

-=R=-

19. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

there is a fine line between letting the match play out and needing to just restart things. You have to balance the losing team's dissatisfaction at losing with the winning team's dissatisfaction with their victory being stolen b/c of a map change. The longer that the situation lasts, the longer that the losing team has to sit on their hands, the more the map should change. However, in empires, it is VERY difficult to tell when the game is truly over, because it's possible to win by attrition OR by assassinating the cv. As is, I think that the game is only really decided in the last minute or so, and this time limit doesn't cross that fine line. Now if it were five minutes of sheer loss, then yes, i might suggest allowing the surrender vote.

20. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

The idea of having a surrender option is a good one, I totally understand where Lordroy is coming from.
    Problem is, I've played Empires enough to actually be able to tell (sometimes anyway) within 10-15 mins who is gonna win. If the looser knew they could upset the game by just surrendering after 10 mins, it'd kill the server anyway cause the team that just started to kick ass would get p'o'd.
    Too much possibility to exploit this feature.
    Warcraft, Simcity, the opposition is a carefree computer/bot.

So yah it sucks when the other team has all the res nodes and is bombarding the base with he shells. Run out of rax, die, repeat. Lots of players leave the server. Seen it so many times.

Grab a mortar , some sticky nades, taunt the chicken attackers who suck cause they are affraid to charge infantry in their big ol battle tank.