Interesting game... however...

Discussion in 'General' started by LordRoY, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Also, the sniper rifle favors he who has the higher screen resolution, and he who has the higher framerate. Back in the testing, I always ran the game at 1024x768, and on a custom map that was a total sniper fest, I couldn't hit squat. Then I upped my screen resolution, and started getting headshots.

2. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Hmmmm...interesting. I just got a big res upgrade in the form of a new graphics cards and 22" monitor....gone from 800x600 (in Source games) to 1680x1050 overnight. I'm not sure if it's helped my game but it sure looks pretty....

3. Thyreus

Thyreus Member

I never had any problems with the sniper rifle. Usually people go down in one or two shots, unless they are getting healed.

4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

well, shit. Anyone got a spare top-of-the-line video card?

edit:
    :p :p :p i dun no cumputers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Video driver? sure... just go to your video CARD's site...

Now a card alone is not going to push your system though :(

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

/me rummages about down the back of the sofa.

Nope sorry mate

7. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

I did some testing tonight...

I played @ 1600 X 1200 (instead of 1024 x 768) and i was plucking people off very well, much better, but still not perfect. I shot one person in their head, and blood came from their helmet, from about 20 yards, but they just stood there. I wish I could have done a demo of that. It would have shown EXACTLY why I have the issue. Again, 20 yards, confirmed headshot w/ blood splatter ON THE HEAD, and they DID NOT DIE. Has happened more than once, but this time I was so very sure of it.

It did surprise me that upping the resolution helped. I play both DOD:S and TF2 in 1024 x 768, and have no issues. Why would I have the issue here?

-=R=-

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

2 possible reasons for that example: blood splats are done separately from bullets, so they are an estimation of where the bullet lands (assuming blood is done the same as holes in a wall). and if they have increased health they can live through a med rang head shot.

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

screw you all! YOU KNOW I HATE TECHNOLOGY DAMN IT you're freaking lucky I taught myself how to use MANTIS for pete's sake :p :p :p

with your electro-whatsits and your newfangled positro-jiggers.

all i need is my trusty TI-83 and a word program!!!

um, back on task, would an increased zoom thinger help alleviate his issues? idk I'm just randomly rambling about games now i have no clue how to solve the issue.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  10. Scikar

Scikar Member

A blood splat on a wall is the only way to be 100% certain that it hit. Though since the sniper rifles have perfect accuracy then as long as you were scoped a normal blood splat from the model should be confirmation as well. Have you tested with a friend on an empty server?

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Sounds like a latency issue then.

Do you know the tick rate of the server?

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Empires has much larger maps than DOD:S and TF2, and so your enemies are going to be much farther away.

13. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

this isnt about latency (which I said before) or about range.

For the record, ill say it again: 20 yards, confirmed headshot w/ blood splatter ON THE HEAD, and they DID NOT DIE.

The person was standing about 20 yards away (so close I could have probably ran over and hit him melee in the time it took to take aim and shoot). 20 yards is not medium range for any rifle I have ever fired. I could understand if we were talking a football field away, or more, even tho most rifles shoot much much further, even if it would not be as accurate or powerful at the longer range.

The reason it isnt about latency or range is the bloodsplatter on the head. I didnt miss. I know I didnt miss because of the bloodsplatter. I know I hit him in the head because of the bloodsplatter. If I would have hit him in the body, the bloodsplatter would be on the body, right? (and that could say that the range was too far and I was missing the head hitbox). If I would have missed all together, there would have been no bloodsplatter at all. (and that could be explained by either me being too far or having latency issues).

I have all but given up with sniping tho. I cant get my friend to help me test because he go so frustrated with the inaccuracy. Ill try to convince him, but I can understand.

-=-=-=-=-=-

I also wanted to bring something else up... why is it that when you are right beside a wall (or whatnot) you cant go prone? I usually have to take a step away from the wall to go prone and move back to the wall? Some issue with the player mesh not playing well with the wall mesh?

-=R=-

14. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

So players don't get stuck in the wall, and then snipe people from there.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Think if going prone as the player leaning foward; now... Lets do an experiment...

Stand RIGHT next to a wall... and try to lean foward to lie down... Kinda hard...

Now again... Lets try another experiment... Go into a box 3 by 3 feet and as tall as you want it to be...

Kinda roomy, yes... Now try to lie down... Kinda hard again...

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

Actually it's because prone players have a wider bounding box, should be changed IMO. At least to allow you to be pushed away from the wall a bit.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  17. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

I can stand next to the wall and lie down with no problem. I dont see the issue there.

I am not trying to lie down in a 3x3 foot box, I am trying to lie down beside a wall. Wall really has no interaction to me, except it is a wall and I cant go past it.

-=R=-

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The bounding box of the player gets larger. If I tried pushing you away from the wall, then we'd have issues like we did with respawn where players got stuck in things.

19. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

It doesn't matter if you hit them from 20 yards in the head if they have increased health (especially if they were a rifleman)

20. LordRoY

LordRoY Member

I believe it was a engineer, but I might be mistaken. I cant remember now.

-=R=-