Infiltration Round 3: Alone in the Dark

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Dec 14, 2009.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

No one read my post before, so I'm reposting.

OK, fine, don't listen to me. I'm tired of people doubting my intuition. So you know what, I'll prove it to you.

I'll vote cloud. Its the more obvious and extraneous of the two "clues" anyways, frankly if he hadn't made his post I would have voted him anyways. Apparently I'm not obvious enough, maybe it will be obvious enough once he dies. I believed him because I've gotten raegin pissed at Empty for fucking shit up before as well.

@Ikalx, I didn't notice that but, to be honest, as a math major, if it wasn't a Caesar Cipher, then I don't know if anyone here would have been able to solve it. A Hill cypher or affine cypher would have changed the message drastically, who here other than me uses mathematica, or maple, or works on JCryptTool? (I never told Empty I did any of this). TBH, as a GM I wouldn't have used any other cipher, I would have felt it unfair. Also, a substitution puzzle can take forever (substitute a letter for another, basically at random). There are web tools to solve those as well, but again, without them it is hard and time consuming.

EDIT: After Ikalx's post, it's now 3 clues XD, but I don't buy the 3rd, it's too convenient. Like I said, the "cloud" clue seems the most out of place. But I've been told that this round "the clues work both ways".

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Exactly, that kinda proves my point. What if the reason they used a cipher like that, is that they could kill two birds with one stone? There are many ways to make a coded message - many ways that are easy to make a message garbled. I bet they probably thought that someone would get it - if not, the clue is more obvious, but if they do, then the clue becomes completely overlooked.

At least, that's how I be thinkin'.

3. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

well, I'll wait to see if the next message is ciphered. If it is, then that means that they are just using it because it is there. If it isn't, then this was a *clue* IMO.

Otherwise its a scout target. Brutos hasn't been throwing out accusations right off the bat like some people in this thread <_>.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I solved it without any method. i didn't even know that the subtracting X letters thing was a method of cypher called caeser's cipher. I just took the one word that was blizzerds name and used that assumption to figure out the rest by using the most probably words based upon the sentence structure and process of elimination :D

5. Empty

Empty Member

Day ends in 6 hours, get the votes in.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

im aiding indecision? what about the accusation that i don't post? its a complete lie, and not only can you prove it by checking, but McGyver already did so in the ooc thread:
    THEN MCGYVER GOES AHEAD AND MAKES THIS POST!
    so tell me, how am i aiding in confusion? i told you guys to go read for yourselves, and you wouldnt so there is my argument.

now id like to vote for mcgyver (or possibly shadow) but if i change my vote ill die, so im left voting for a gren/base

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

<filler>

Nothing is sure here. No one is ever sure, or they're dead.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

well last round we knew who all the infils where, and they didnt die until 2 days later

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Real nerds use matlab.

10. Empty

Empty Member

My dad downloaded that the other day.

11. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

I was going to mention Matlab, but in reality, it can't do the sort of cryptographic precision that Maple can.

Matlab can only do.. 9 digits of precision, maybe 14 if you are lucky. When working with RSA, you need 30-40 digits of precision, easy.

Engineering department though, they use matlab. Math department uses Maple. Since I am getting a major in both, I need to know both, but cryptographically, Maple is stronger, because cryptographically you need that much precision.

Engineers, we fucking guesstimate at 10 digits of precision, and usually, we don't fucking give a shit about the last 7 digits XD.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

@complete

Well you got a point there, i wasn't really looking at the vote count list when i made my post. ^^
    I just don't want Cloud to be voted, since i'm sure he is the grenadier. I highly doubt fake reveal in the second round is his infiltrator play style.

After Cloud you are our next best suspect, so i have to vote you, sorry for that.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would not allow something to be encoded so that its imposible to decode just by head

as soon as you "need" a calculator and there is no other way, its kinda a nono to me :(

we dont want to exclude anyone without a good knowledge of math, and ofc the americans
    although a basic image editing tool is a totally different thing

14. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

You know what, fuck your shit. I'm voting McGyver.

That's a fail excuse. You make shit up and "don't look at your list" Even after *you spent the time to make the list*, and complete got listed as one of the top posters subsequent to your post.

I'm sorry, that is totally inconsistent, which is a sign of an infiltrator covering shit up. If we believe in cloud, I don't see the "complete" clue to be suspicious, it's less suspicious. Vote McGyver.

EDIT: I'm going to say it: I think empty's clues are shit. Last round, i figured everything out based on people's responses and inconsistencies. Thats how I caught Deadpool, and aaaa50. McGyver is being inconsistent. Like... I can't make this any clearer: He made the damn list of posters lol, and then he makes up a shit reason instead of referring easily to his own list? No one has reason to make evidence up except infiltrators.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

also it would be nice if people posted exactly what clues they got from the image, so i can know how to handle it next time, it would be appreciated

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

whatever im dead anyways, might as well change my vote to vote mcgyver

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Must......resist.......bandwagon........

Oh, I can't. Death to McGyver!

18. Cloud

Cloud Member

Could someone count the votes?
    I'm rather certain that one of the votes on me is the infil who killed varbles, as i'd have to get fire squadded for him to survive, since firing squad is during the day and not the night, right?
    Grenadiers revert to base crew upon getting the revenge kill, and will be revealed as base crew on death aswell.

19. Empty

Empty Member

There's still 40 minutes to get the stuff in.
    Day/Night is being capped on 24 hours, we're not changing that limit forward or back.

20. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I will vote for _complete aswell.

Also could any scouts who have yet to contact me please do so and anyone who got scouted please say so.