Infantry armours, a possible how-to.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zygoth, Apr 8, 2011.

?

Infantry Armours

1. I voted

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Suggestion

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Suggestion + Addition

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. <Joke Option>

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FN198

FN198 Member

infantry shouldnt be able to go head on against tanks late game. it is a pointless addition because it strays pointlessly away from simplicity.

this game has enough customization as it is to give it one of the steepest initial learning curves

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm sorry, were you under the impression that I didn't think half of Empires' features are pointless additions? Because you'd be sadly mistaken.

3. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

:pathetic:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuu-

4. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Skills are pointless too and can penalise you if you take the wrong skill, they promote point whoring and stacking and only make the game more complex to noobs.

Let's remove skills; and while we are at it research. To be exact, commanders can be noobs and penalise the team; let's remove commanders.

Let's remove different classes too; it adds unneccesary complexity, 1 class would make the game much more noob friendly.

To be exact, we should remove different weapons too, and different squad auras; this all adds unneccesary complexity.

This is not trying to make the game more complex for the sake of complexity; this will just make infantry slightly better against tanks in late game, and adds possible tactics with other armour types.

5. FN198

FN198 Member

please avoid sarcasm, its troll like.
    empires at current is relatively refined in light of this suggestion. complexity is a step backwards, creative, effective and efficient solutions to existing problems are steps forward.

by possible tactics you mean already existing tactics

by armor types you mean already existing classes (each has an armor type)

6. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

By increasing the amount of features in a game you increase it's complexity.

There is no choice, there are no different armour types that players can choose once they have picked a class; the proposed increase in possible tactics is not yet present in the game.

You don't seem to understand; as opposed to making it SET, this makes it something you can choose; it adds another layer of depth for any those that do not have the IQ of a gnat.

The proposed addition is not pointless; however if you are labeling it as useless and as "unnecessary" complexity then the same could pretty much be said about every proposed addition; from aircraft to revamping the scout hide mechanics.

If then the point being made is that "X adds unnecessary complexity thus it should not be added" then I truely wonder why the devs are still saying that aircraft are going to be added or that the way scout hide works is going to be changed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Except, when playing, there should never be any thoughts of, "Oh man, what if the enemy grabs heavy armor?". Customization should merely alter the game to suit your playing style. Almost like TF2; every class has its own unique playing style, and (save medic) each has an equal chance to get a kill.

But I digress, 99% balance must be achieved before more alterations are made.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Also, Empires isn't a complex game because of customization. Really, if you think about it, each class has no more than 5 guns to choose from (+ a grenade for scout/rifle), no more perks than CoD, and usually less than 5 spawns.

Tanks? There's 6 chassis to choose from. There's a total of 6 armours, 5 cannons, 5 machine guns, 6 missiles, and 6 engines. Armor allocation and weight distribution obviously contribute immensely to complexity of customization, but it's still not terribly hard to understand. The typical game is about 40% of those values (+2 chassis). You can also discount from each about mid-game, as I've included standard weaponry/engines/armours, which become extremely obsolete.
    Compared to other games (Mechwarrior comes to mind, *nostalgia*, Bad Company 2, Black Ops), Empires isn't much at face-value.
    What it truly has is immersion and game-by-game competitiveness. But customization isn't a huge factor. Not that I'm complaining -- I understand that there's more brains here than brawn, so to speak.

9. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

99% balance is impossible without totally destroying every defining feature of Empires.

To be exact, balance in general is a concept that is impossible to achieve if you are trying to make a diverse game; for their will always be noobs and pros, there will always be better and worse tactics, weapons and skills in a certain situation. To be exact, the very fact that their is diversity makes the game impossible to balance to a point where total harmony is reached.

By saying such a near complete balance must be achieved you are saying the game should move towards complete sameness with all aspect of the game being fused into a singularity without any depth; or any dimensions at all to even speak of.

You are saying that the goal of the dev team should be moving the game towards total equilibrium.

Either you have a diverse, and with that a complex game while accepting imbalance or you will have a game without depth and complexity to the point were it is totally lacking in any sort of features or diversity.

10. Michael

Michael Member

Ohhh meh wants space marine power armour!!! :mad:

Zygoth your suggestion is already in the game. Health upgrade as "heavy" armor, stamina regen increase as "light" armor (which is pointless skill to take meh knows, but it's there) and else.
    Skills and weapons already covers infantry customization, although I'm not against new weps and skills. (Like heavy bolter, meltagun, or recovering some memory of enemy by eating him:vampire: )

11. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

No it is not. Health upgrade only increases HP and regen gives you the ability to regenerate damage suffered over time.

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

an armor that lets you be underwater for an extended period of time.

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

to make sex to fish or why?

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

cause i like to use water as cover. go underwater so i will get shot less often.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That would be fun. Interesting idea.

Although infantry armor would be neat, it would just increase the gap fucking Grand Canyon between noobs and all of us.