Infantry armours, a possible how-to.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zygoth, Apr 8, 2011.

?

Infantry Armours

1. I voted

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Suggestion

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Suggestion + Addition

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. <Joke Option>

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

After glancing over the class selection menu on mvalley I looked at the 4th slot of the Grenadier.

Then an idea ran trough my mind; would it not be more fun if armours could be selected?

The suggestion is simple; Make the fourth slot on all classes changeable and add the ability to select armour against guns or explosives.

Also, as an addition; make it so that scouts and engineers have light armour and the Rifleman and Grenadier have the heavy variants?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the strange poll questions, they maketh no sense, but your suggestion itself, I like it.

3. Haji with a handgun

Haji with a handgun Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  4. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I like mayamas one, I thought it was for vehicle armours(I misread a certain part).

This suggestion is different, however, I do like Mayama's suggestion with the damage types and ect.

However, by making armours available from the beginning of the game you don't get the problem were one bad research ends the game for you.

Having Bio, Kinetic and Explossive armour would be great too. It would be nice if such a system could be added in the next version.

5. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Seems like a fun idea and another pothole for noobs.
    All good.

Is that poll broken? I'm seeing well over 100% in options. May just be me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. Demented

Demented Member

That's because you can pick multiple options.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Why not give 3 standard armors + 1-2 specific armors?

Light -> 80hp, moves 1.175x current speed.
    Med -> 100hp, same speed.
    Heavy -> 110hp, moves 0.9x current speed.

Riflemen~
    Loaded armor -> 1.5x starting ammo for all guns, 110hp, stamina bar reduced to ½, 0.925x speed.

Engineer~
    Bio-electric suit -> Stamina can be converted into calc energy (full bar = 40 energies), 90hp.

Grenadier~
    Equipped Vest -> Starts with 66% max ammo instead of 33%, 105hp, stamina bar reduced to 3/4's max, stamina regenerates 0.7x as fast.

Scout~
    Recon Armor -> 75hp, 1.25x speed, 1.25x stamina regeneration.

I dunno. I just loved the idea of increased customization with infantry.

8. Haji with a handgun

Fucking This.

9. manbeef

manbeef Member

Now that we have wages, why not have inf armour? The problem with infantry upgrade research was that all infantry would get the upgrade permanently at no additional cost, so the cost to research had to be high to justify that.

Why not research armour (say regen), then have individual infantry be able to purchase regen armour for themselves with their wages? Armour would only last for the duration of that ticket, and then would have to be repurchased after death.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

World of Empirescraft

11. Haji with a handgun

IMO this would add some more complexity to mastering infantry, knowing what armor to use when.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

13. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Too much number stuff; Let's first test how it turns out before we create lots of armours and make them researchable or cost wages(I don't like the later as it only promotes point whoring and playing on the winning team).

I suggest starting with Gun Armour and Explossive Armour that can be chosen without any additional cost with light versions for the scout and the engineer and heavy versions for the rifleman and the grenadier.

After that we can try light, medium and heavy armour and more armours like against bio and ect.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Too many numbers? Fine, here's a concept.

Light armor -> Low health, High speed.
    Medium armor -> Standard.
    Heavy Armor -> High health, low speed.

If the terms Light/Med/Heavy armor aren't sufficient enough for an explanation (which, rather sadly, the probable aren't), than Lord help us.

*Edit
    Not that I expect it to get added. I'm just saying -- in a game such as Empires, increased customization would be a Godsend.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. Haji with a handgun

It would definitely add more to the kind of shallow infantry combat system.

16. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Trololololol

Why do I have a feeling your poll got trolled? :)

17. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

hmm, I made a post and it never got posted.

Anyway, no, it's not hard to understand; it's just that all the number stuff is purely hypothetical.

As I said, I like the idea of light-heavy armours, but let's try gun and explossive armour first with light for engies and scouts and heavy for riflemen and grens. Hence; you could even have med and light for engies and scouts and medium and heavy armour for riflemen and grenadiers.

After that you could always add things like bio armour and ect. Even making them researchable as someone mentioned, altough I do not think that is preferable as that just promotes joining the winning team, with making them cost wages just promotes point whoring.

18. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

Because there is no such thing as an Empires community without trolls.^^

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Adds nothing to the game. Penalises you if you took the wrong armour at the wrong time, or penalises your attacker if it's the other way round. Infantry combat is already hard enough to balance, pointless additions like this make little gain for a lot of effort. No.

20. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

It isn't a pointless addition, you could say the same about skills being pointless additions that only benefit point whores and the penalise you when you take the wrong skill while making the game and infantry combat overly complex to noobs.

If we are going to label possible additions and game features as pointless because they might penalise you then we might as well label half of the current defining features of Empires as "pointless additions".

The only thing this does is adding more possible tactics; either you take gun armour(which will probably be prevalent at the beginning of the game) or you take explossive armour(which will most likely be the most common at the end of the game due to the widespread use of explossive weaponry).

If anything, this may actual help balancing infantry combat and infantry late game; with explossive armour being available, infantry will be a little more powerful against tanks in the late game(Being that weapons such as nukes, HEC and artillery are fairly common in the late game).