Increased Lock On speed in conjunction with Scout/Radars.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metal Smith, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Okay, this suggestion is quite simple, to me at least. I don't know how much it would take to code it, but I do think it will definitely add to the game play.

Everyone knows that right now, most games NF is eventually over run by Heavies with full comp and rail guns. i believe the reason for this is that one of the most powerful NF weapons, the U ML's, are underused. There are several reasons for this, ML's are slow moving is the predominate one. However, there are guided ML's and Homing ML's.

Homing ML's and Guided ML's are actually the 2 most powerful weapons in the game besides Nukes and Artillery shells. They can do more damage than even HE tank shells. However, the conditions under which they are useful have made them really, well, useless. First, you must be in sight of the enemy tanks. Second, you either must stay in sight for a long period of time to get a lock on the enemy tanks, or you must stay in sight for a long period of time to keep your cross hairs on the enemy tank.

Guided missiles are alright when the enemy is a little ways out and before they have rails or ER. But after that, it's hard to not take aton (if you can say alot, you should be able to say aton) of damage.

Okay, now for my idea.

Make it so that Homing Missile's lock on speed decreases by a substantial amount in conjunction with a scout's spotting ability or when they are in range of a radar (notice I said A radar. If the enemy has a sabed radar, it should work against them too in this concern ^_^)

If both spotted and in range of the radar, how about making the lock on speed only a quarter of the time? This will make it difficult for those composite rail tanks to simply rush into your base and fire off 10-15 shots into your com's tailpipe to finish the game. It also balances the homing missile, because without a forwards radar, or a scout to help you out, it is almost worthless. This also helps with the problem of Homing missiles generating a huge amount of heat (16 heat I believe, that makes 6-8 shots before you over heat, with a mediocre engine, will be able to shoot almost indefinately with 3 phase or adv coolant. But fire rate is slow as hell, and rails have the ability to shoot off all 80 shells without overheating.)

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I agree the guided and homing ML's are a little underpowered atm.

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

As I've mentioned in another thread, though, the most obvious use for homing MLs is against aircraft. We should really see how that works out first.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

at their current speed, homing missiles will never hit an aircraft from what I understand about it's speed.

I think that SAM missiles should be in a research class all it's own.

also, if the radar did help lock onto targets, it would greatly help especially with aircraft, as they would normally be in and out before you could launch an attack. This way you can quickly lock onto anything within range of radar/engy placed radar/spotted building.

5. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I like that idea very much. In all the years I played Empires I maybe have used those missiles maybe 3 times and everytime I did regret it. Also it is a great way to reward team play and give the scout a bit more usefulness in the late game.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

About this aircraft.. There is actually one with the name Fighter.

Point: Why is everyone so much up for AA when you can use Fighters instead?

And yes, anything for less standard missile spam! (I think that thing broke my loudspeakers..)

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Well i love my dumpfire missiles and useing them as a "shootgun" in close
    close combat. I even guess that a nf heavy would be able to take down
    small planes if he uses them for curtian fire.

My only problem with guided is that i cant aim only on possitions my turret can
    "look" that means i cant attack tanks a level below my own tank.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

This idea must be realllly good. the usual critics can't find anything bad about it XD

It would also give the scout some satisfaction if when he sabs the radar, any target that is painted by the radar that is killed would give a squad point if you are in that scouts squad. It would also make a use for forward Radars and give people more of a reason to protect them ^_^

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

have your turret aim a bit upwards before firing then guide it downwards, you can't aim downwards if you're starting out at the lowest point.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I only ran the search in the suggestions forums :P

12. flatmush

flatmush Member

I think that's a great idea, it would make me use homing missiles more often (at all).

13. thaile

thaile Member

There's two things you need to know about the Lock On.

1. Lock On speed is depend on the range you are from the target. At max range its like 11sec and point blank it's ~.5sec

2. The lock on time only goes down when you're crosshair is in that little red box, I think. I'm not sure if it auto countdown after the first time you point in the box or even resets every time you leave the box.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

so if in range of a radar or scout spotting, the vehicle that is spotted either gets extended range added to the lock on or lock on speed is halved.

and there is a 2~ second time frame to readjust your crosshair back into the box.