Include every decent custom map in the installers

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by recon, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

mesa is stock worthy too

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

No andriod, it isn't. A few MB is a few seconds for most people to download.

I agree with you that it shouldn't need to be done, but it does. People have been leaving servers instead of downloading for a very, very, very long time. Those servers had fastdl setup, and all maps bzipped, but it wasn't fast enough. People will wait for a few extra megabytes when they download the client, but not while they're playing.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

A few MB is though when the hosts aren't fast; Looking at the dropbox files some are 10mb in size...add those up and it's bad. You shouldn't be adding an extra 100mb.

Moreover, what happens when a new map comes out? Spin a new installer? That doesn't fix the problem...

And if a server's fast DL wasn't fast, they have a bad host. When I was helping Cyberkun with a fastDL link, I think I was personally seeing maps DL in a few seconds.

4. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

I made this all around every map you'll probably play in your empires career. Plus it was made like a month ago for the clan.

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The speed of download mirrors is not even something to discuss, because the ones we have are plenty fast and couldn't care less about another hundred megs, which isn't even what I'm suggesting we add.

It goes into the next version, and with releases as frequent as they have been, I doubt it'll be an issue.

How fast is your home connection and how big were those maps? Granted, there are a few that are so small they download and load instantly, but they are not the majority.

6. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I see it as keeping up with progress. It's been too long since stock maps were expanded. No it doesn't "fix the problem" but it mitigates people bailing when they see they have to DL a map.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I again repeat then that you're optimizing for the ONE time PER MAP issue. Some of those maps were 10MB.

A better question to ask is: why isn't fastDL doing it's job? A server in Europe need a european based fastDL; one in NA needs an NA based fastDL. I've seen fastDLs do wonders, and THAT is what we need to do.

Moreover, you shouldn't argue for a new patch every month...with no autopatching that I'm aware of that's painful. And then you make the patches include the new maps? This is just getting complicated. It'd be simpler to just write an exe or batch file that will robocopy maps from some website onto your local emp install for you that you can run to get all the maps the first time and then re-run to update maps (MD5 hashes to see if you have the right map version...or similar.)

All the way back to UT:GOTY dats (aka, 2000) I've been going on servers with custom maps and DLing the map in a few seconds. This is normal these days. If people cannot handle it, they don't know how games that allow customization work and they don't understand mods in the first place. CSS has custom maps, DODS, UT, mods, quake...hell, even Halo does now I think.

8. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I want crossroads back.

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That's correct. I agree with you that it seems stupid, but people will NOT wait for custom maps to download, fast download or not. Also, custom maps are not necessarily 10MB, and the client may not have the fastest internet connection either.

No Android, that is NOT what "we" need to do. You should stop arguing over something that has absolutely no effect on you. You seem to be intent on sabotaging this discussion to prevent any change whatsoever, and your arguments have no technical or logical basis. Here's a summary:

Recon: Put customs in the installers so we can play them without losing players who won't wait for them to download.
    Android: It will make the installer bigger, and a few MB is a "fair amount." (notice here how a few MB is a fair amount)
    Recon: It doesn't matter if the installer is bigger, it's already huge, and people understand that games are large packages.
    Android: What happens if new maps come out?
    Recon: Put them in the patches.
    Android: Optimizing for a one time per map . . . 10MB . . . why doesn't fastdl work . . . robocopy . . . MD5. (and here a few MB is almost inconsequential)
    Recon: Sigh.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Custom maps can be up to about 30mb, depending on size. I think king was about 25mb.

Putting some good custom maps in would be worthwhile I think, if only so that maybe main will just use the standard maplist with the good maps in and I won't have to play a load of shitty customs.

11. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

don't forget to add airfight to the list!

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Necro bump since Steam is right around the corner.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Once we have a steam release out, I see absolutely no reason not to start throwing in a few new maps.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

1: do steam release
    2: wait a few days
    3: start putting in maps into the steam content server slowly
    4: new players believe in on-going development
    5: ?????
    6: PROFIT

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

+1

id do this personally... like each month 1 or 2 extra maps

16. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah man
    do it
    done yet?
    why not?

17. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

airfight is actually pretty fun, i must admit.