Improved F Menu Look

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Destroyer224, Oct 1, 2007.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Its funny how it seems people only use one system

i've never used the CSS system, and i love the Empires system

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well i'm hardly gonna suggest a crap system now am I? Although it does seem that most people who love the empires system say they haven't actually tried the css or other systems out, or have been playing empires a long time that they're so used to it that it's second nature.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Krenzo likes this system as do much of the community, also it doesn't take all tooo long to get used to. It's not a problem. :)

3. Simon

Simon Banned

Ewwwww css menu suuuckkkssss. Once you memorize the keys I find empires works pretty well.

4. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Remember, this thread is about ways to visually improve the F menu.

Everyone is always saying it looks a little bland and could use some touching up.

*weak excuse for a bump*

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

How about something like this? In this example you hover over the "Local Menu"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i like it.

nice artwork too

prolly too fancy for emp thou.

looks more like quake stuff

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

that looks cool.. would have to see it in game tho

what about it being like 50% tranceparent?

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Personaly I find BF2142's Comm Rose the best...

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Shinzon, I like your proposed command control because I can click a much larger area to get to the next menu/action, plus, it looks cooler. Like dubee said, WAY WAY WAY more transparent, maybe even so you only saw like the button outline and the writing, but it looks cooler and might even function better.

I don't see why you'd even have to change the command selections- you have different menus, which I could live without. My main concern is marketing appeal, hooking new players and whatnot, and in that area, looks are all that counts. (well... you need gameplay too, but the system is good enough arleady.)

dont get me wrong--the system could be streamlined, but it's good enough as-is to not need any overhauling.

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i still like the hexagon one on the first page. in the empires menu there is up, right, left and center, the function and organization should remain the exact same just replace the tiny rectangles with something more perdy.

11. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Shinzon, that comma-rose looks perfect for Empires. It would keep the same exact button layout and functionality, but it would also look great in the game with a few visual modifications to make it look a little more Empiresey.

I guarantee you that if you take that and polish it up a little, add in the same layout as we currently have in the F-menu, and PM krenzo with a DL link, it has a solid chance of being included if most people like it on the forums. I would defenitely have tried the aforementioned steps if I wasn't complete rubbish at Photoshop and all other graphic editors.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I touched it up a little bit; I like the circular idea alot because everything in Empires is so; corner like :p

[​IMG]

13. Simon

Simon Banned

Red one for NF?

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

bingo, good idea simon.

translucency is a great idea too. and i love the look shinzon. proffessional. I love this thread!

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

This thread is made of awesome.

May it make fruitful babies that inherit the Empires!

Now I'm just saying random crap.

16. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I will say one thing, and that is that I do not like the hexagon suggestion, because I use my mouse to pull up commands, and the more option/different places you put on the screen, the more difficult it is for me to choose the right thingy in a split second action. The main focus here should be application in-game, not organization or logical placement (and I could easily believe that the hexagon stuff makes way more sense then the four button system).

17. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

dont dumb down this menu to fit with other Empires HUD eliments, they need to be redone as well and we are definatly open to sugestions and forum help.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I don't think the current F menu needs alot of rework... It is fine as it is; everything has to be brought together inside a little bit though so you don't have to drag your mouse far away, and made in such a way that you don't have to aim, but a general drag to the right and bam options, another drag and your screaming something...

19. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Hmm, that menu reminds me of NS quite strongly. Probably because it looks so holographic, I'd suggest adding some sort of a silvery metal outline to make it more in line with the shiny metal part of the BE theme, and it could be rusted a little bit for the NF theme (If you decide to make an NF theme).

I agree, this thread is made of win.^^
    Keep up the drool-worthy work Shinzon!