Improved F Menu Look

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Destroyer224, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I played some Empires today and couldn't help but notice that the F menu really needed some new visual flare. I went comm the next game and while I was researching, the idea hit me: Why not have the F menu kinda like the research tree is? 15 minutes later I had a couple of MSPaint drawings of my idea. I decided to use the typical Segmented-Oval design for my pictures because it was easier, but it could be done with hexagons too just like the research tree is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse my mediocre MSPaint skillz.

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

The same principal, except you would use more than just F-W-A-S-D.

It would be more like:
    Code:
              Q     W     E
              A     S     D
              Z     X     C

Or it could just be controlled with the mouse.

EDIT: Here's the hexagonal version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This would work like how the research tree works currently, but probably with a lot faster cycling because people will want to use the menu quickly and efficiently without having to wait for animations to play of it cycling to the next set of hexagons.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  3. arklansman

arklansman Member

I like it, but it could be more Empiresish. If you could work the whole angly edges thing into it I would love it. :D

I don't see how you could have hexagons with four sides though. D: Also, not everyone uses WASD. ;)

4. TheAllmightyMighty

TheAllmightyMighty Member

i think the "system" is ok as it is but i approve that it should be graphicly advanced ...

5. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

the 4th pic you have looks great, plus wasd (esdf, or whatever yall weirdos use) would work just fine with it. just make it more empiresish like arklan said.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

esdf is made of ownage in games that require quick access to a lot of buttons.

Like Tribes.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i agree that a visual overhaul is needed, i have no knowledge of what system could be used, but off the top of my head, your proposal seems good.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I like the idea.

I have to ask though, do none of you find it cumbersome to have to stop to spot someone? Or use some squad abilities? It's not really a big deal, but i've always thought something like the CSS menu would be better - whipping out "enemy spotted" by pressing C and then 2 while still being able to run is rather a lot easier than stopping to press f then w then w again.

I'm not trying to throw a spanner into the works, but if you're thinking about giving the menu a mini rehaul then it might be something to think about.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

fantastic suggestion :D

the menu needs to be TRANSLUCENT! YES!

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Fuck those other menus that require you to move your hands around to use the menu. Those things suck. I like having all the menu buttons right under my fingers. If you want to change it, then bind the spotted command to your own key.

11. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Disclaimer-I am not the greatest at MSPaint. These would not be how the actual F-menu looks if it got implemented. This is just the general idea i'm putting out. If someone wants to take this idea and photoshop some empirey designs, feel free.

Well, the hexagon would just use the keys in the shape of a hexagon on your keyboard, if you look closely, the W,E,A,S,D,Z,X keys form a hexagon and could work with it like it's worked before. Or it could be given a mouse-over ability like they use in BF2142 which is what my first design is based upon.

I agree wholey here. I hate having to move my fingers all around just to spot something or say I need a medic when I can press F-W-W or F-A-D-D. without moving my fingers.

This thread is about ways to visually improve the F-menu.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  12. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Well, like I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the system as is, i only briefly skimmed your proposed system (sorry). I never use the CSS commands... or pretty much ANY other system of voice commands, but i have the Empires layout memorized and can fire off commands using my mouse in the time it takes to press the buttons.

But i would NOT be opposed to a visual overhaul. In that respect, I could understand a change.

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i think is the genral agreement, keep the basic system the change, but a less clunky visual menu would not be bad.

14. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I always use my mouse on the F menu. I never took the time to memorize the wasd paths.

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I think combination of gestures and buttons would work quite nicely for everyone.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ouch! well I have to say that alot of keys are under my hands and easy to access when I play, but you have a point. I'll shut up now.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i'm not so much interested in the look as the responsiveness. i've notices this is a trend with ALL menus in the game: the first time you open them, they seem to go really low FPS for about a second, like it's loading it. for menus like the F menu this is very bad. I wish the menus would load when the map does.

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Hmmm, I never seem to get that problem. But then again, I never paid any special attention when opening a menu.

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

agreed

20. Archanor

Archanor Member

I hardly use the Empires voice commands, if it was more like the CSS menu I would probably use it. The CSS voice command menu has a great system.