Idea - Modeling Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Centron, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Centron

Centron Member

I have made this thread because I am tired of everyone who thinks that torrenting 3ds or XSI makes them a hardcore modeler. Not only are bad models being released, but they are being released every other day, with each having its own thread. Because of this, every time I log on I see new AFVs/Grenade Launchers/Gunships.

This must stop.

My proposal is that all future model posts are placed within a single thread as not to cluster the forums, and that the developers let us know what they actually need modeled or what they want to see modeled. If the developers and the community like this idea, I will create and manage the thread, as well as keep the first post edited and updated with current model needs and any models submitted in response to those needs. Also, intelligent criticism of the submissions could be rendered by the community.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Just to be subjective, but there's only one AFV replacement thread, and that'd be me!

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

You must be referring to intelligent criticism such as this:

Modeling is going to get either it's own forum or be combined with mapping (and until then please use the mapping forum for models) so if you don't wish to see models which aren't amazing professional quality then you don't have to venture into that area of the forum. If you wish to post constructive criticism to modelers (beginners included) then do so. If you wish to post comments such as the one I have quoted, I'll let you take a little break from posting altogether. ;)

4. Centron

Centron Member

Edited. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I apologize for those comments, as I was in a bit of a rant and let it get the better of me. The reason (not an excuse, though) for my rant is that I am currently modeling a few things myself to try my hand at it, such as a railgun that I have been working on for around a cumulative total of 6 hours so far with much more to come, and have made a personal decision to wait until I have at least finished a near-final render (only missing texture and ultra-detailed parts), so seeing the very blob-like and amorphous (there is my intelligent criticism) models recently posted sort of touched a nerve.

But yes, a forum for modeling would also work, but it is imperative that it is implemented before general is overrun with posts. Also, if one is a beginner, then they should say so instead of posting something that may or may not take only and hour or two to make and call it a final design.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Finally someone who realises that bad modelling doesn't deserve a pat on the back.

If you make something ugly.
    I am going to tell you.

Think of it this way, if you wanna hurt my eyes with crap models, I'll be obliged to hurt your feelings with shitty comments.
    I'm done looking at the models anyway, except pwnyoass and the guy who actually made a good BE bomber, since they obviously put effort into making it look good.

Remember, 50000 polies a good model does not make.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Empty is correct.
    Would be nice if some work seemed to go into some of these models.
    Then again, that is why I don't post what I think of that stuff.

And on topic time.
    Models, if they become a new thing to talk about, need there own thread.
    Right now, hanging out in mapping is fine.

7. Centron

Centron Member

On that note, what are the source poly limits or what are the average poly counts for current empires models? I would like to try my hand at modeling a few things for the mod, but I want to know what the limitations / needs are before I put several hours into something that will only not be practical in Source.

Also, I promise that if I post anything I design on these forums, that I will have put at least a few hours into it and when I say it is a final, it will be a near-final render from a developers standpoint. This means it would be missing only the texture and ultra-fine details such as grip ergonomics or a serial number.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I support this thread.

9. Centron

Centron Member

At the rate that people are posting with new models, and with the need for devs to point modelers toward things that would actually be beneficial to the team, a new forum exclusively for modeling is needed.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Note the sticky in the mapping forum.

"All 3rd party developement such as models and mapping is to go in here"

That's a new sticky.

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think that if we're going to get a lot of models, what is really needed is to have a regular dev in charge of collecting models, guiding modelers to producing useful stuff, and critiquing models that aren't useful. Basically, whether it's pat-on-the-back or flaming-Molotov-cocktail criticism, people who are trying to contribute are probably going to react best (and will be most likely to be guided into useful contributions) if they feel they're getting feedback directly from a dev. I think it would also encourage more people to contribute if they feel they're getting relatively fast feedback from the devs (which is good, even if a lot of contributions aren't.)

Having a dedicated forum so said dev can just quickly go down the page and tick off "yes", "no", "needs more work", "we don't need this right now", "we're never going to need this", and so on will probably help.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  12. Empty

Empty Member

I vote myself.

13. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Let me give you an idea of the polygon limits, the usual view model is around 10,000 polygons maximum, Alyx is 9300+ Polygons, CP (Civil Protection) is around 3300, and so on, I haven't checked the vehicles in Empires yet though.

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

NF heavy tank has about 4000. Also, the engine limit is 10000.

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Engine limits are: 10,000 polygons/model, 17,433 vertices and 2048 texture size