I need an anime

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ^Dee^, Sep 11, 2006.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

So for the past couple of months, my bf and I often sit down to watch some anime before bed. We've just recently finished watching Full Metal Panic's 2nd raid and are left without anything to watch.

We're thinking of Full Metal Alchemist (no relation to the above) but I'd like some recommendations before we start into a new series =P

I personally prefer anime that's silly and cute and funny and stuff. Some action I don't mind but not too keen on the over the top, blood and guts stuff.

For reference sake, the anime I have seen follows:
    - Full Metal Panic
    - Trigun
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Love Hina

Things that don't need to tbe recommended:
    - Ghost in the shell
    - Outlaw star
    - DBZ
    - Naruto
    - Tenchi (Muyo/universe, I can't' remember the names >.>)

It's more along the likes of FMP and Love Hina that I'm looking for but anything like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun would do :)

EDIT: Good animation would be nice too and preferably not too old (although not out of the question)

EDITEDIT: Also not out of the question but something with at least 20ish episodes would be best =P

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

ranma 1/2 :P

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

MEZZO FORTE! I'm sure your BF wouldn't mind :p

Lol jk, when you say cute anime, do you mean stuff that isn't very serious and comedy? If it's that, I suggest Fooly cooly. Gawd, so many things I can quote from that series.

As for a more dramatic, good anime, in fact it even has a splash of Kawaii in it, TRINITY BLOOD! Humans, Vampires, and a nano-bot good guy that pwns the shit out of Vampires. And then does a ^^ asking for rice cakes. :D

4. dsi1

dsi1 Member

Full Metal Alchemist is awesome but you need to watch it from the beginning.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

samurai champloo,,, i love this show,, really check it out

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

AH Samurai Champloo is a MUST for all those who liked Cowboy Bebop and it's flow. Close to the same characters, with 2 males and the female...

Also, Dee, sorry in advance for maybe freaking you out, but I just might have to assasinate your BF and take over his life because you and I like the exact same anime :D (I would wear one of those mission-impossible masks and pretend I was him, you know, the whole sha-bang)

And it was probably Tenchi Muyo that you liked, I pretty much got obsessed with that show and for a while I think I lived in that universe, oblivious to my surroundings...

7. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Yeah FLCL kicks ass I've seen every episode at least a good ten times, too bad it's only six episodes... As for suggestions... well I'm not really sure I haven't really bothered to sit down & watch an entire anime series for a 3 years now (Last series I saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion, Though I still haven't seen the movies...) As for Full Metal Alchemist, ehh it's alright Though I only saw it to like the 28th episode & then skiped ahead to the final episode which is like episode 52 or 3.

Well you might like Gundam SEED it's really dramatic & action packed, I love it.
    I can also suggest D.N. Angel it's pretty funny though a bit on the shōjo side.

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

FLCL only has 6 episodes? I just thought I missed them and they stopped showing them or something... As for DNAngel, I agree that it might be Shojo, but seeing as Dee is Shojo herself, one would think it wouldn't be that big of a problem, only for her BF :D

I still say Trinity Blood is perfect, because a guy can get into the ass-kicking while Dee gets to laugh at the Kawaii-ness ;D (not that Dee doesn't like to kick ass :))
    (No one gave me a o.0 for the Mezzo Forte joke? Wrong crowd...)

9. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Vampire Hunter D if you don't mind a little blood

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Meh @ Vampire Hunter, it's a little older then Trinity Blood... this way you don't even have to rent it if you don't feel like it, just watch Adult Swim

11. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Gungrave and FMA

and if you're into ecchi, Ikkitousen >_>

12. ^Dee^

I've heard of samurai champloo. I think he was trying to get me to watch it a while back but I couldn't be bothered =P might check it out now though =o

Never really got into tenchi though, I remember watching a few episodes on CNX but mostly out of routine for when I came home from school :P

Not a big fun of gundam stuff either. I remember watching gundam wing (I think that's what it was called) and found it to be too much politics and I'm not a biiig fan of ninja mechs :)

Was never a fan of vampire hunter D but I might check out that trinity blood thingy =o

ikkitousen sounds interesting from what I've read of it though. FMP can be slightly ecchi at times :P

13. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Samurai Champloo is made by the same people who made Cowboy Bebop, and even the main character's voice actor is the same as Spike's (in the dub, anyway). If you liked Cowboy Bebop, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Samurai Champloo. (I couldn't get into it, dunno why... Just didn't have a deep enough plot for me or something. Don't let that put you off, though.)

Does the "doesn't need to be recommended" list mean that you aren't interested in those shows? Because I adore Stand Alone Complex. It would bum me out if you didn't dig it.

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

someone mentioned fooly cooly earlier, am i the only one scared by that show?

15. Elkano

Elkano Member

hmmm... anime suggestions?
    besides the ones mentioned abouve:
    - .hack
    - Mahou Sensei Negima
    - Elfenlied
    - Fullmoon wo Sagashite
    - Amenaideyo
    - Puni Puni Poemi

there are too many out there :/

16. ^Dee^

I could never get into any of the Ghost in the Shell stuff. Don't know why =o

Does anyone know if "Lain" is any good? =o

17. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Excel Saga if you love hyper stupid crazy insane and officially dubbed "Experimental anime".

18. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

iv'e herd carton network is good if your into this kind of stuff... ;)

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Adult swim is the shit,, im a fan

20. ^Dee^

CNX used to be good, even when it turned into toonami but they gradually moved away from the more serious anime to things like yugioh and the likes =(

Now the only thing close to anime they show on toonami (here anyway) is one piece =/