I figured out how vehicle physics works

Discussion in 'General' started by RoboTek, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Hey, how about we spend hours doing the vehicle scripts, not discussing them?

2. thetim

thetim Member

Here's one way to get the best of all worlds - give vehicles a low-range gearbox. Hold down a key (as per the walk key in counterstrike?) and the top speed and acceleration become very low but it climbs brilliantly.

3. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Two things happened. I got incredibly busy very quickly and nobody posted anything except extremely vague ideas about what they wanted.

"jeeps: like driving a quad
    apc: like driving a fast pickup truck
    light/afv: like driving a faster pickup truck, smooth driving plz
    medium: like a tank lol
    heavy: bulldozer tank"

was seriously all I got.

4. Empty

Empty Member

I'd like jeeps to accelerate very quickly with a decent top speed and good downforce + handling to prevent slides unless you want to.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i was kinda joking, i hoped posting some ridiculous vague descriptions would make people narrow it down how they wanted

6. Demented

Demented Member

The sad thing is, Blizzerd, I thought those descriptions were perfect. =/

How more precise does it need to get?
    "...and I want this one here to accelerate from 0 to 30 in 9.36 seconds!"

7. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Yeah, I had kinda figured you were. The problem is that the best I got was that, followed by one comment on jeeps that is simultaneously vague and impossible (it is impossible to make a jeep where you can choose if you want to slide during a turn).

8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I would say the current AFV is a model for the vehicle that drives the best out of all of the current vehicles. If everything drove more like the AFV, I would be happy.

Things I like about the AFV that I don't like about other chassis' control:

It accelerates very quickly.

It is one of the fastest tanks in the game.

It never has a hard time with slopes.

It bounces off objects very cleanly and keeps its momentum. (not something you have control over, probably)

It is controllable and does not excessively spin out even with a fast engine.

It drifts like a motherfucker. (Best drifting tank in the game)

It doesn't get stuck on random small shit all the time (like the BE medium).

It can be flipped from a standing start with low gravity on.

I'm sure I could think of more things but that's the basics.

9. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

In that case, would you like engines that do not impact the way a vehicle drives at all? The problem I would have with your version is that the AFV responds to only a narrow range of horsepower inputs, rather than scaling amazingly well. That said, it responds better than most, so I could mostly manage.

That said, I can't make every vehicle drive like the AFV, nor would I want to. Does everyone want vehicles that strictly drive well then? I believe that part of the disadvantage of heavy tanks is that they do not drive that well.

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The slowest engines should be faster in the vehicles that are supposed to be fast, so yes, I'd like a narrower range of speed and horsepower with the engines. I cannot stand slow engines at all; I even contemplate ragequitting every time the comm gets bio or advanced coolant right away.

The BE heavy tank handles surprisingly well and you can drift with it. It seriously is probably the 2nd or 3rd tank in the game as far as handling goes. The NF heavy just fails. The APCS are sluggish and shitty and they should be one of the best handling vehicles in the game. At the least, their acceleration and horsepower should be increased. I refuse to drive them for the most part because I can't stand their slow acceleration. The BE medium accelerates like a mule and it gets stuck on everything, but it drifts well if you can get a little speed. The NF medium cannot drift but it accelerates faster and it can't get stuck on anything (you can even drive over unbuilt walls with it) and feels solid and responsive.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  11. Demented

Demented Member

I love the way the CVs handle with scout speed. Not that it's necessarily a good idea to implement. <_<

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The BE CV with max scout speed is almost perfect. The NF CV, on the other hand, is on the verge of being uncontrollable.

13. Demented

Demented Member

Yeah well, the NF CV starts out as a drunken cow, and it upgrades to a drunken cow on speed and roids... It's still an improvement.