How terrible are music concerts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Dec 21, 2015.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

~35€. Rock concerts on the other hand are one of the biggest wastes of money one could imagine. You can hardly see the stage if you don't camp a day in front of the entry, the music is worse than a 64KB mp3 and you have to wait hours to use a toilet.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I've only been to 2 concerts, the rush one wasn't at all what mcgyver said, it was really nice. I think the other one was called family values or something, had a bunch of bands like korn and evanescence and that one was kinda meh. Was kinda cool how it started to rain when korn, the final act, started to play. Gave a nice atmosphere.

Still, beyond watching some of your favorite instrumentalists play to pick up something I don't get the whole deal, rather go watch a movie.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

korn and evanescence are not really the first thing to come to mind when i think of family values

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

25€, don't put everyone in the same basket.
    I agree with Lazybum, concerts are overrated, take a good headset/headphones and you'll get a much more enjoyable music.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

and whatabout bass? i mean thats the reason* you go to concerts right, to FEEL the music?

if its just about ruining your ears, the cheapest inears at max volume do the trick cheaper. because no tinnitus, no good concernt ...

... and speakers > headphones

*aside of that socializing thing

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. McGyver

Right I forgot the tinnitus, three days of buzzing in your ear and praying that it isn't permanent.

7. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Wait... was this moved solely to protect the precious star citizen thread?

Pretty sure that's not necessary.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Have fun not being able to hear silence ever again

9. McGyver

You don't know man, maybe this thread has potential.

https://i.imgur.com/7T6ujL7.webm

10. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Gigs are only fun when you're the one playing.

If you want a good musical experience then buy a decent set of headphones and buy the FLAC files from the band's website or rip them from a CD.

I'm all for supporting bands but I'm not paying to have to put up with other people making noise, the drinks being shit and expensive and barely being able to see or hear the band anyway. (Also tinnitus.)

(I didn't read the thread before I posted this.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  11. complete_

complete_ lamer

maybe see better bands. and possibly find a venue with good acoustics. posting about concert noise hurting your ears has to be the lamest thing ever

i guess play shit games listen to shit music (though mentioning games is now off topic cause the topic is now music concerts)

12. Space_Oddity

If rock bands at gig volumes (i.e. driven amps and heavy drumming) don't hurt your ears then yours are already damaged beyond repair so knock yourself out, I guess.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

ive seen indie rock bands and shitty electronic djs and i had no hearing problems. still have a keen ear. never had a problem with the sound in the place (because i only go to good venues)

14. flasche

if its around 100db from the speakers you either have a temporary tinnitus afterwards or your ear canal is clogged (or you stood far in the back or left after a few minutes).
    at this levels its no question of equipment quality anymore ...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  15. Space_Oddity

Tinnitus is chronic by definition. If your ears are ringing for any reason then you have permanently damaged your hearing, regardless of the ringing being temporary it not.

16. flasche

if you say so ...

... maybe its the wrong term, im no doctor.

usually my ears aint ringing, but after loud concerts or parties i hear drumrolls when i yawn. so far it went away during sleep and the next day i heared as good or bad as before.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  17. Space_Oddity

IIRC that kind of noise is due to damage to a muscle in your ear that's designed to stop you from hearing your own talking/chewing/etc but is susceptible to really high external volumes too. I get it too but that's from compulsively cracking my jaw and neck more than anything.

I get ringing and roaring in my ears when there's no other noise (as a result of playing loud gigs without ear protection and having my headphones always on full throughout my teens) so I end up listening to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts at night.

Back on track though; I still feel like a well produced album with a nice pair of headphones and significantly more affordable beer is a lot more pleasurable than a live gig but if you want to support an artist, absolutely go for it.

DarkHorizon likes this.
  18. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Them FLAC formats

19. Metruption

Metruption Member

concerts are about the people not the music. the music is basically just a background that happens to be there.
    in high school i went to a bunch of super hipster concerts of less than 25 people and had a blast despite the fact that the music was mostly a joke

20. flasche

ewww people :D