How many people are here from the start?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darg, Jul 6, 2006.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Damn, you people are old, in game terms. I've only been playing since 1.01, but I've been playing pretty much constantly to make up for it. I've been active on the forums (at least three of them) since 1.01 though, if that means anything.

And I hope Garg isn't TOO p.o.ed about my jeep antics in that last game i played him in. We pretty much had it in the bag, so I figured, "what the hell."

2. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I've been here since...*checks HD*, january 2004 (the oldest empires file I have)? I think it was earlier.

Hopped on board with playtesting the BF42 version. Stuck around ever since.

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Been here a couple of months before the first release. I havn't been playing so much since 1.06, its just a bit too laggy on all the servers.

4. Thor

Thor Member

Been here since day one. The first few weeks I was very well known on the official and other varying servers, and the second week of Empires I founded the Brenodi Sixth Infantry Division.(BSID) Since then i've been playing off and on a few days at a time due to real life interference. Cpatton and me ruled the official server back in those days, hehe. I remember my first great game. Me, palehorse, beerdude, and 2 others I don't remember the name of all squadded up and did an amazing job via teamwork. We almost lost, but made an amazing turn around playing as the Brenodi, back when the heavy machine gun was god and was my weapon of choice most of the time. Not to brag but I consider myself one of the first skilled members of the empires community =D

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Joined the first around my birthday when I was just browsing mod forums, this game looked very awesome but didnt think of it much back then, infact I wouldve probly guessed it wouldnt be released till late 2006, was i pleasently surprised ^^

played religously the first 2 months or so, I even dream about it...
    Had a very awesome game on LoC server the first day, when it was passworded, I think if i never played that game with the playtesters I wouldnt have been so fucking enthousiastic about it (seeing a lot of other ppl had very bad experience with the first release alsobecause of noobs)
    Also played on another passworded server with General1337, was around a 5vs5 so no lag issues (another reason why so much ppl didnt like the first release)

Had the greatest fun ever, the same weird warm feeling I had inside when ns 1.00 came out :D

Played so many games I remember little about the first days.
    But have to say the first days is what really made me stay and the dev team ofc.

Played so many mods where the devs keep everything in the dark like its some secret government project
    While when I joined the IRC channel of empiresmod the day before release, everyone was like talking strategy and then about "cmon release it"
    and krenzo is like "meh wtf do i care *releases empiresmod day early"

XD never seen anything like that, next to updates so fucking fast

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I joined 1 week after the first release.

7. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

I'm here since the 1.0 release for Source-Engine. Was the 4th of March I think...

8. AlexCA117

AlexCA117 Member

late 2003

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I started 4 days after it was released. I lurked the site for two years before that. :p

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I'm pretty sure I had this mod bookmarked on Moddb or something like that. I had the trailer and played it continuously to anyone who would walk by my room in res. I must have played 1.00 soon after it came out, i don't remember much, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have more than 20 posts on the older forms.

11. colonoh

colonoh Former Developer

I've been around (but definitely not lately) since the first line of #empiresmod. :D

12. Darkfox2002

Darkfox2002 Member

Well I have followed the mod since 1942 but just never said anything I just sat in the shadows looking on and I think they should have stayed with the battlefield engine becuase the mod was a lot better on the battlefield engine than on Half-Life 2 engine the game was alot more stable on battlefield and their was no lag! :)

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Also on the BF1942 engine they were very limited coding wise, and there wasn't much room to expand. Also, source graphics > BF1942 graphics.

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Oh boy, Empires started in theory in September 2002, so I've been "here" since then. Battlefield 1942 came out, and I played it straight for a whole month. That was right after I graduated from navy nuclear power school and had a month of leave. The whole time I was thinking "this game is good, I'm going to have to make a mod for it." Then I thought up the commander vehicle and my whole focus was "how do I get people to rally behind this one guy and follow his orders?" Then NS came out like a month later, and I was like "oh, I guess that would work."

15. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

and it did tbh, if you had a decent team :p

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ya... IF you had a decent team... quite often you had a bunch of rambos who would go off on there own in there brand new HA or jetpack and hmg and get owned by a single fade.

17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I found empires a week or so before the 1942 release, I dropped NS for this because I did't think NS did the RTS/FPS genre any justice (Oh noes some brown hairless dog called a "Skulk" jumps from a vent and attacks me).... Anyway.... I remember the large amount of disappointment I felt when empires decided to make the move to farcry. Me and another fellow by the name of "CrushedBiplane" Stood in protest (Hell, neither of us were going to get the game anyway) but because of DICE's lack of mod support krenzo didn't have a choice and I left after that happened.

As you can expect, the people over at ubisoft didn't deliver... Well not ontime as far as I'm aware of.

In the interviening years, I became a senior member of the popular Sven Coop community Cafe Of the Rabid Snarks. a many months before the clan section collapsed, I had found out they were porting to the source engine. Which was good because it was a game I liked and was going to get. I was once again an acitive member of the community.

A few months before empires release, I had put in an application for and made the cut for Tester which was a real honor and alot of fun to boot and ofcourse I do my best to find the bugs and try to help out which is Obviously expected of me. And well.... here I am now :p

Ofcourse I cannot forget those who were here before me suckh as Scoutbz and the team of testers, aswell as Krenzo and and by now have literally done 2 and 1/2 FOLD of work, which is by far more than the NS team has ever done.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

As it turns out, the offer was from their "community manager" who is some random volunteer off the internet they pick to represent them on their web site and forums. They promised me a free copy of Farcry too. I was so jaded after BF1942 I didn't bother to touch the Farcry code at all.

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I have a feeling you made a wise choice. Considering the lack of mods for it, I would assume that it isn't too user-friendly.

20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Besides HL community is far larger and FarCry community(if there even is one).