How League Season 2 Will Work

Discussion in 'Clans' started by Evan, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

How Season 2 Will Work:

Season 2 will run for 12 weeks (3 months). At the end of that period, the clan with the highest ELO ranking AND a minimum of 8 matches played will be crowned champion.

How ELO Rankings Work:

Performance can't be measured absolutely; it can only be inferred from wins and losses. Ratings therefore have meaning only relative to other ratings. Therefore, both the average and the spread of ratings were arbitrarily chosen. The average ranking for Empires League is 1500 and the K constant (spread variable) is 32.

A clan's expected score is his probability of winning plus half his probability of drawing. Thus an expected score of 0.75 could represent a 75% chance of winning, 25% chance of losing, and 0% chance of drawing. On the other extreme it could represent a 50% chance of winning, 0% chance of losing, and 50% chance of drawing. The probability of drawing, as opposed to having a decisive result, is not specified in the ELO system. Instead a draw is considered half a win and half a loss.

Let me begin by outlining a few variables:
    [​IMG]

OK, before the first match, every clan will start with the average ELO ranking of 1500. Then, two clans will play their first set of matches. As both clans have to play as NF and as BE:
    [​IMG]
    where
    • 2 = won as both NF and BE
    • 1 = only won once
    • 0 = lost both matches

Next comes the heart of the ELO calculation: figuring out the expected score for the matches based on previous wins and losses. Somehow someone made this formula. I won't pretend to understand it exactly, especially why they chose 400, but it works.
    For Clan A -->
    [​IMG]
    And conversely for Clan B -->
    [​IMG]

The expected score for Clan A plus the expected score for Clan B should sum to 2.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, the new ranking is calculated from the old ranking plus the spread-weighted difference of the actual score of the matches minus the estimated score.
    [​IMG]

What's Great About ELO

The major perk to ELO is that it's based on the amount of success a clan has in its matches. A clan with a high rank cannot get as many points playing a low ranking clan as they would from playing an equal or higher ranked clan. Conversely, a low ranked clan can get lots of points by beating a high ranked clan.

One of the drawbacks of the ELO system is that a clan that is participating in the season but doesn't compete very often doesn't change ELO rankings very often. This is why we have instituted the rule that to be crowned champion of the season you must have played a minimum of 8 matches.

I'm excited to get started and hope a lot of new clans come out to compete this season!

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

god damn

I need to stop sleeping in calculus

3. polaski

polaski Member

uh what? JK this is very great. I dont see many major fualts in this there are just too many unknowns to put into an equation but great job

4. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

Looks nice. Stu, this is only the second time I have seen it applied outside of college =], rest up.

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

now that i'm thoroughly confused and cant be bothered to interpret the formulas. SIGN CW UP!!

:P

do we need to reapply on league site??

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I'll make a new post when it's signup time

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

awesome! If there's one thing I like in my games, it's higher maths. I don't suppose you could integrate some of these scores, could you? Maybe throw in a couple of variables and natural logs? ;)

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Luckily for most of you, the league software will calculate the ELO ranks for you.

9. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

10. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Why is emp_slaughtered on the second list? It's a official map :(.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It does not compliment all aspects of classic empires gameplay. It does not fit into the same category as a map like duststorm or isle, there are only very specific building locations,removing the commander's role partly. The playfield is concentrated in very narrow passages which make it mainly a push map and dumbs down the options for expansion, rushing and general unit distribution and map control. The strategy is very limited, instead more refined, theres nothing wrong with that, it just means that there is less freedom/improvisation and more skill, countering and endurance involved; among things.

Clans are allowed to play it, but not forced to. It being in the 2nd list does not mean it's not meant to be played competitively, or in no way is the 2nd list inferior. All maps listed are playable, the first list however is there to enforce fair match making between clans by not being able to deny a scrim based on map choice.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Seems fair to me

13. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think there should be a rule that players must be informed very well which team they have to join and if they won't join that team they get first warning and if they repeat the thing on second match right after the first match, they get kicked out of the current match.

This to prevent players joining the wrong teams and saying that it isn't against rules and that way getting information which is shared among the clan members who are at one team and then telling that information to his own clan's members.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Lol I think that will be the least of a clan's troubles. If another clanner joins your team, just stop talking for a sec lol

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

What if no-one notices that?

That happened on CW vs. BSID match. No-one noticed that Dizzyone was on our team for a while before I spotted him and he heard quite much.

And without that rule, that means I can join the enemy's team and then share all the information which they have with my clan.

16. Beerdude26

Well that's just fair play. If you're going to make a rule for everything that's unsportsmanslike you'll be waiting for the league a few months longer lol

Also RPG firstly joined your team to play random music, not to be a spy and second you should get a ventrilo server instead of using teamspeak :p

17. Goose

Goose Member

I was on their team for a good 30 seconds hearing their leet strategy. I hear you guys were gonna run NW and city, so I told BSID to expect a rush at NW and City.

18. Beerdude26

zomg bsid is null and void

19. Opie

Opie Member

In that SEEU map, one of their teams joined our team and started playing, I lol'd. Dizzy just joined to play you inspirational music, he played "eye of the tiger" for SEEU and we all lol'd.

Bad Goose. Bad strategy.

Okay, what about minimum clan size for clans signing up. If a clan has only 10 players, they will never get 10 people to play. You need to encourage the new clans to actively recruit and encourage CW to stop recruiting. And just a thought, divide CW into 2 teams so we have another group of people to play against, granted they shouldnt be able to switch (though i don't think any of us would mine). We just need more clans with more people, CW v JPL v BSID is getting boring. Hell where is that ghost clan, they are pretty good.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I heard quite much?
    I heard 2 words, lets be fair here, something like "alright guys"
    Besides, one of your players was on OUR team to begin with, before I ever joined yours.

This falls under sprotsmanship, and I was not being un sportsmans like, I just wasn't aware you guys were doing strategy in the 3 min comm vote, my apologies. The second I figured bitchslap was talking over vent (besides that he immidiatly stopped talking) I joined my own team as quick as possible. I did not hear anything, it was a mistake I'm sorry. If anything, the 3 minute rule should be changed, you should be able to do strategies and everything before the 3 mins, then when your team is ready, map is reloaded and you get 3 min comm vote to take a deep breath before the game.

Also, everyone noticed I went on your team, I was playing music in spec and my team, you think they wouldnt notice if the music stopped? Obviously also all of cw heard the music when I joined and all went in spec afterwards. The music was on at all times, the second you heard the music was the second I joined your team.
    However its sad you make this little story saying nobody noticed I joined your team, while you were the one not noticing one of your members was on our team since the start of the map load ffs. Shame on you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008