Hey FAGS! EMPIRES IS FIXED!

Discussion in 'General' started by ViroMan, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Valve updated:
    HL2 Lost Cost
    Source 2007 Dedi Server
    Source 2007 SDK
    Source 2006 SDK

Try it out NOW... works for me bitches!!!

lol missing textures. Think they missed something...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Just in time for the pug :)

nop didn't work, back to the source 2007 hack fix.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Nope, still doesn't work for me either.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

...why would they update the weird ass Lost Coast? Is it something more than just a bizzare demo of sorts?

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Pretty sure it's used in a few mods, or the content of it is.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

lost coast is source 2006, its when they introduced hdr

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Fixed just in time for the next set of bugs.

Haschte tried to join and got a bug, so I tried and got the same.

"STEAM Certificate length error! 0/2048"

It occurs when I try to join Viper. I'm running source sdk base 2007.

8. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Bullshit stop trolling us viroman D:

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

My friend had this problem, so I decided to try something. You know how you get a can't find startup_loading.vtf file, if you start normal empires? I tried doing that copy paste thing where you rename the background image to startup. Now I have that error length.

I thought I could fix it by just getting rid of that file, but no. Deleting everything in my steam folder except steamapps and the steam application didn't work. Reinstalling empires didn't help.

I do find it strange though, I was able to join DDD's listen server. I couldn't join vipers or epic's server though. I did read somewhere that this might be related to servers using old HLDS instead of the new SteamCMD. Can a server admin verify that they use steamcmd or hlds?

Edit:http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/648817377580847440/#c648817378382247898
    Might be a valve server problem.:(

In the same thread someone mentions the server owner fixed it by installing with steamcmd. So again, server admins might be able to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yes I've been able to join DDD's server everyday but VIPER is borked. I can confirm that.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We use SteamCMD as far as I know, or at least VIPER does. EPIC might use SVN snapshots but I can't remember.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Weird, I was able to join vipers today but not epic's. Didn't change anything except reboot my computer the next day.

13. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Just to clean up the confusion.
    The bug reported by Gofly, me and others happens when the server version is not compatible to the client version.

Valve has updated both recently (i think in order to fix some security issue concerning steam id authentication), but the new client software which we all get automatically via steam is not compatible with the old (dedicated) server software, which was still running on vipers and all the other dedicated servers.

However, after updating the dedicated server software (Vicki did that yesterday for the vipers main server) anyone with up to date client can join without any problem.
    That means all server admins should update to the new source dedicated server 2007 software.

Unfortunately Valve keeps updating their SDK software very often, which is not a problem for clients because they get all the updates automatically, but it is a problem for servers, because they need to be updated manually, because there is no "on the fly" updating system for servers (at least not to my knowledge).

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

well i wouldnt say empires is fixed yet, since i get a missing file "startup_loading.vtf" when i try to launch empires

15. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

You have to install
    Source SDK 2007
    and run empires through it with command line setting:

-game ../empires/empires

The old way to play empires (with gcfs) stopped working too.
    Vicki had to switch to SDK 2007 yesterday as well, although she has the gcfs.

16. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Something definitely changed again today. I got a steam update. Afterwards, the fix above gives an error again if tried. I need to check which 2007 SDK I'm using though.

But now when I try to launch from the game menu it works... sorta. Before I got the well know content server error. That is GONE, yeah! I'm hoping that means we can find our servers again on the network from the game launch menu.

However... I'm getting message as stated above. Can't find startup_loading.vtf. I tricked it past that one and now get " can't find models/props_interiors/lights_florescent01a.mdl" It's like it's trying to load HL2 stuff that doesn't exist in the empires/empires folders.

Maybe if we can get these pieces in place, we can get back to our old Empires game launcher again??

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Thing about anything that would require any amount of code to make 2007pires work is that Candles is well into the 2013 port, so there's no point in taking time away from that :rolleyes:

18. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

So I've set up the Empires-SDK 2007 hack fix, but no servers appear in the server browser, and Epic gives me the aforementioned "STEAM Certificate length error! 0/2048" when I try to connect via console.

Any thoughts?

P.S.
    Good news is, everything else seems to work. Also, what is Viper's new IP? and Epic's in case I have it wrong?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

Often I find if refresh doesn't populate, then changing back and forth between map and list view does the trick for me.

20. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Works! Thank You. Now to hope for a server to populate;)