"Hey! Comm! Look at me!"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think that there should be a voice-chat option to attract the comm's attention. When you use it, some icon flashes on the comm's minimap at your location, remaining there for a few moments... to keep people from bugging the comm endlessly with it, it can only be used once a minute or so, but it would be very, very useful for those times when you're standing next to a res node and just can't seem to get the comm to look at you and build. Something like "Command, I need your attention here..."

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i don't think this would be bad at all, if you could only use it like once per minute. Useful, but only an emergency measure to prevent spamming.

Alternatively I'd just settle for a voice command that said 'hey i need a g** damn refinery over here, jeez.'

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The main reason I want it to do more than that -- flash some marker on the comm's map, in particular -- is because it can sometimes take the comm a moment to notice where you are, particularly if they're a newbie comm.

Granted, newbie comms are going to have problems in any case, but there's no reason why we shouldn't try and make it easier for them.

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

a visual echo like those ping circles from a sonar, starting from the messenger and advance through the map could be a nice thing that the comm finds you quick

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like this idea and I think it was also stated a few months ago.

6. sickre

sickre Member

Yeh, this is a good idea. The minimap needs to be used a lot more than it currently is.

7. thaile

thaile Member

Not a bad idea at all, with the current system it's hard enough to find someone with the chat which gives the sector they're in, but almost impossible for people who voice spam since, unless they say where, you don't know where they're are or who's talking most of the time.

8. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

How about a command in the voice menu that says "Ready for a refinery" (or whatever) that also puts a notice to the commander similar to the building/vehicle/player under attack. So when the com presses space key (default) the screen automatically centers on the player.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

I suggested a while ago that the comm should be able to click on the player's name in the chat and jump to him. :)

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

ark that is GOOD.

should be double or triple click those so you don't do it by accident.

11. sickre

sickre Member

Good idea Ark.

12. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I like that idea. I'd even add another way to do it: have a roster window with each player's name, class, current location, and checkboxes under eight headings; 'squad', 'current selection' & 'groups 1-6'. That way, the COM has an easy way to group the players as he needs to. To give players a bit of a say in squad selection, rather than immediately changing it, a HUD message would appear, asking that player to change to the requested squad. I would also make clicking on the headings be a sort up/down toggle.

13. Reef

Reef Member

I think this suggestion is already being discussed in another thread, but I can't find it.

14. Vaun

Vaun Member

Good idea, needs to be spamproofed somhow (like the time delay idea), because i cant tell u how many people use mics and ask for stuff and dont tell me where, then i ask and they say "over here".

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I'm going to necro this thread (found it in the Organize Stuff Archives) because this would be a killer addition.

You may want to look at how Natural Selection does a similar system of notifying the comm. They implemented 3 requests, orders, ammo, and meds. However, most people only use orders and meds (ammo usually comes with meds over mic), and people use the order request to "ping" the commander to give them res nodes or just to let the comm know where they are (build awesome stuff here comm).

16. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

ark gets awesome dude reward. again.

17. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Or get mic and say, comm I need you at XY.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But it's much faster to instantly double click than to find xy, maybe get stuck in skybox, repeating.

19. ChJees

ChJees Member

This sounds like a good idea. It is no fun waiting for orders needlessly.

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

If people are closer, the notification scales up above the group. o: