Heavy tanks don't have good enough guns.

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what's wrong with an arty cannon on a heavy? at least the heavy has to get close, costs much more, is much slower, would be a less powerful version and wouldn't be able to fire very much (heat)

2. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Balance. BE heavy can carry twice as much cannon as the NF can. Can you imagen how much damage twin HE artilery could do? Also why would any one get a reguler artilery then? Reguelr artilery doenst let you put on machine guns and after the next patch suposibly more expensive..

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Twice the Heat! Even with adv coolent and the engi skill, you would really only be able to fire a couple shots off.
    Even so, it does sound a bit one-sided. I guess it would cost more to put in the field, and the NF could likely get away with an HE cannon and Nuke

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

If you want, I'll ask RPG if I can put it in to test it out.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

thanks beerdude. just am i the only one that thinks the railgun is a bit naff?

6. Beerdude26

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

peashooter.

8. Beerdude26

Well, it's pretty good against anything but absorbant.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

The biggest problem I see with the HE tank cannons is that if a BE heavy has 2 and a nuke, it could fire off both cannons, and then the nuke. During the overheat it could drive like hell to safety with a phase 3, and then repeat.

10. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Drive during overheat?
    That only works at half speed if you are already driving or you have the bio eng.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Well, before after firing a nuke, I drove off with a phase 3 quiet quickly, and even dodged one shot from a ML turret. Then I got blown up on my second run.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

IIRC overheat only affects your acceleration, and not your current speed. Might also slightly lower your top speed, but not that im aware of.

This could be a bug, im not sure

13. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea I can say for personal experiance when the engine over heats a vehicle simply rolls to a stop. No acceleration, no maintainging the currents speed. Over heating should do that. Once you have a radiator go Chernobyl on ya, you know what I mean. Hell it happend to me today. Im not saying make it realistic. Of course dont have them stuck for two hours waiting for a tow truck but do make them helpless and unable to retaliate.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Over all, the total shutdown is unreasonable. Perhaps make it so that with weapons like the nuke, that do uber damage, cant move. Like with the nuke, it should drain all power, its reasonable in this case because of the sheer power of the nuke.

15. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Yea I was specificly thinking of the nuke becasue of how much heat it does. Maybe have it depend on how full the bar is? Say Green your good, Yellow slower acceleration, red half speed, full complete shutdown?

16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

So 2xHE Cannon and Nuke + Bio Engine + (composite?) = Teh Pwnage

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

On the topic of overheating, perhaps you should lose a proportional amount of horsepower once you exceed the heat limit?

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

What might also be good is if each engine type has its own specific issues, and each impacts heat levels and weapon usability.

E.g:

coolant leaks if the engine takes too much damage;

fission reactor has a heavily armored core, but if it is breached the vehicle goes nuclear (focused though, not a large blast radius);

phase 3, since its electric, could suffer from EMP, and possible create an EMP shock wave when destroyed, temporarily disabling all electronics nearby;

gas turbine could leak gas if damaged, and possible erupt into a column of fire;

standard engine could just plain and simple explode, scrapping the vehicle and doing light damage to anything nearby;

bio-diesel could leak diesel onto the ground, that can ignite.

This would add an interesting dimension to game play, because you would have to manage your engine's health so it doesn't get you killed. Of course, some things would probably have to be dropped, because I don't really know what the Source engine is capable of, and some suggestions might not be balance able because of of the lack of manipulation in an area (e.g. a vertical column of fire when turbine goes critical, since I don't think it could actually be directed)

19. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Be like facing those stupid UNATCO agents in Deus Ex, the ones that explode and kill all when they die. Also, people might throw a certain engine into a jeep and ram the enemy CV

Wow, it would be sweet to EMP the comm, so that the Comm Screen fizzles with static for 5-10 seconds

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I know the reactor could be unfair, its all about balancing. Perhaps make it so that its weak damage outside vehicle, but strong enough to scrap the vehicle.