Heavier chassis use up more vehicle slots

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Lazybum, May 9, 2015.

1. Metruption

Metruption Member

I think that a heavy tank using more "vehicle slots" than a light tank or apc is a very good idea.

heavy > medium > (apc = afv/lt) > jeep

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I hope, I seriously hope, that you guys who complain about the limiting of tanks actually consider how many tanks you see out at any given time. Honestly, just think about it.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Quite a fucking lot actually, unless youre playing with mr bubbles that is, then its just the enemy.

4. Lazybum

I meant for your team. I know when I play usually at most I see half the team in tanks. There's rarely a time when there's more. The few maps that I can think of where there's more, money/slaughtered/streets(sometimes) would probably be better off if there was a couple less tanks. Like I keep saying lighter tanks don't count for much, so it isn't like getting a set of wheels will be out of the question for the most part.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here comes a similar situation like ticket, you have the same shit for 15 players and 45 players.

So, no.

6. Lazybum

But you don't, tanks being able to change how many there can be based on current player count for that team is totally fine. Unlike tickets where it would be bad for it to constantly readjust itself based on server/team pop.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Your "pros" might not actually happen but your "cons" will definitely happen.

Also it's not just about play count, it's about the map too.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Well, you could always go the other way and make higher counts of better vehicles impact the rate of res income, i guess.

9. Lazybum

You're right, on a map with few vehicles like canyon this wouldn't even really come into play that much. It just makes more of a difference on maps with lots of tanks. Half of which tend to be giant tank grinders anyway.

Z!oom's idea is neat though, in a way it's something like a maintenance fee.

10. Lazybum

Hello, me again. So after people talking about people waiting in vf for tanks I had another idea that would tie in better with this one. People wait because they know they'll get a tank if they just wait long enough. So I propose a personal tank ticket system.

It would use the same values as what's in the op I think, or maybe a simple 1, 2, 3 type of deal instead. Apcs should probably be free along side jeeps though on this idea I think. Whenever a player gets say 5 points, that gives them 1 tank ticket. They can save them up for a bigger tank or just use them for lighter ones. If they want a tank but have no ticket for a tank, the commander can always build one for whoever to use.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Similar to how wages work, but with tickets instead of resources?

12. Lazybum

Pretty much, yes.

I do suppose there's some redundancy in what amounts as 2 separate things to enable someone to earn tanks and only tanks though. Cost of a tank can vary by quite a bit sometimes, so I don't think you could use this as a replacement for wages. It's just an auxiliary cap of sorts on what people can buy with their wages/team res.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well fair enough. In that case the system is pretty much already in place, you'd just have to decide on the logistics of implementation.

Of course the issue is in making jeeps and apc's free. APC's mainly, but also that...well we don't want the new on-foot to be jeeps. People don't get in jeeps so much, but I think that's more because people are still hooked into them costing wages...and some people (like me) don't like to draw from the team funds unless it's necessary. If they are free...there's actually no reason to not be in a jeep, is there?

Or wait, would they still cost res but not a ticket?

14. Lazybum

Umm, I meant free in that it didn't take any of your personal tank tickets. In maps as big as empires denying people the chance to get around remotely fast is kinda bad idea. I was assuming it'd still cost wages/res for anything someone buys, it's just they can't buy a tank if they don't have any tank tickets even if they have wages/team res.

Or are you wanting this to replace the wages system? I'm not sure I like the idea. It simplifies things to a point, but it also means more tanks in general unless the amount of points needed for a tank ticket is high.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just clarifying. Would be better if we could somehow merge them, though.

16. Lazybum

Aye, I do suppose you could make it so different activities give more of these tank tickets. Which is already implemented for wages. Things like deconing tanks or destroying them give more than say shooting enemy players.

The difference on why have it different for this and not wages is the player wouldn't be able to pay for the rest of the tank with team res, or buy a tank outright with team res. So if their only option to buy their own tanks is through playing well it makes sense for the rewards to be bigger.

The small flaw with it is I think commanders will probably spend just a tad more time micro managing tank construction. Or in other words, get nagged for tanks like getting nagged for targets. Though like always, comm can tell them to buzz off or simply say he's saving for something, take a apc or jeep instead.(Which I would think could be bought by anyone, it just takes from team res.)

I should note that with such a system I think it kinda makes sense to bring costs back to research because players aren't actively using team res anymore. Just a thought.

The only slight downside is jeep or apc spam takes from team res, but on the flipside they are a lot cheaper than tanks so I think the overall effect is simply more res for comm to play with.

17. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

This will dissolve like a hamster in cup of acid into one more task the commander is expected to do. And all that will be left of your feature will be a mess of hair and a horrible stench.

If you leave out the ability for the commander to build these tanks, it will feel wrong; you might have lots of res and all the right research but simply be restricted from building tanks.

It seems like a solution to a problem we don't have, and I think it would change Empires strategy significantly for the worse.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Multitasking so hard, so hard.

19. Lazybum

Commander could always pump out basic tanks and tell people to refit them at repair pad. But honestly, it's like targets. Some commanders will sit in comm view and hand them out all day, these people will also build nice little tanks for people to use. Then there's comms who don't bother with targets, they will also probably tell people to buzz off. In between these two we have people who can multitask, and one more thing they will occasionally have to bother with won't slow them down at all.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Multitasking? Answering a looong phone while playing Empires is da best.

Anyway, like I said, your "cons" will definitely happen, these cons are pretty bad to play with. :(