Have you ever read the manual.

Discussion in 'General' started by Roflcopter Rego, Oct 21, 2009.

?

Have you read the manual?

1. Never begun to read it.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Never read from start to finish.

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Have at some point read all or near all of it.

42 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I came straight from sourceforts, which meant I was good at the pure HL2 style of killing that's found in most HL2 mods, as opposed to the fucky shit you get in CSS. So even though I didn't really know exactly where to go, I could kill stuff bliddy fast, so I was still an asset. And as Dezzi said, learning the ins and outs of a game is the good bit - I play for fun, not the victory music, after all.

2. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

theres a ... manual??? :eek:

i read the wiki a few months ago, just out of curiosity and to find some pictures. But the manual nah, it should just say

1. complete hl2 on max diffuculty
    2. play on an empty server till you get the hang of controlls, whats what, etc.
    3. ...
    4. play a regular game, listen to your commander (unless its patton) and anyone with a CW tag, profit??

3. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

I was one of the lucky noobs who had helpful and mature players to help him out
    I started playing empires, during the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony, really, it was on my TV at the time

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

most people are only hard on noobs if they're acting like douchebags. I even make an effort to be civil if they're being receptive and observant, but those kinds of people don't stay noobs for very long.

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Oh man, hasn't that mod died? It had such great promise.

6. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

It has about 6 players on most of the time. Though the clans left, so the mod died. Let that be a lesson to the devs - keep your clans happy, and the newbies will come.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Worst conclusion since the invention of logic.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Agreed.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'm not sure if this is ironic or not (logic was discovered, not invented, and you wouldn't be able to make that statement or any other statement about anything without it), but hardcore players are the ones that keep a mod alive. if the people who play this mod every day or at least a few times every week aren't around any more (overwhelmingly clanners, though there are important exceptions) this mod will die almost overnight.

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Same thing here

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Well that's maybe true but he concluded that clanners bring in new players and in my experience the worst thing that you can do to a new player is to put him into a server with the hardcore guys.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think he reffered to more to competitiveness ...

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Most clans 'withdrew' from Empires for a short while earlier this year, mod went on without us...but I can see if we don't have a core fanbase, the mod would die pretty quick. Could happen in the blink of an eye really.

It's a good thing in a way that empires is so hotly debated over - if you leave it for a while, you can't be sure something utterly ridiculous wouldn't happen in your absence :p

14. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

The only clans that are really active at the moment are BSID and EPIC, If the game truly relied on clans then you should have noticed the drop in activity.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its not relient on clans, its relient on the competetiveness of the game (aka balance)

clans only are a "sideeffect" of this. if clans leave its an indicator that the game will die soon.

also CW is still around, just because we didnt have scrims for a while doesnt mean we are dead ... :rolleyes:

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

We play, we're not inactive. We don't have to be doing scrims and matches to be considered 'active'. If you see a few CW's on a server regularly then we're active. When we were inactive only about 2 CW's were active fairly often.

/offtopic.

Maybe we should link the manual in this thread, lol :p

17. Empty

Empty Member

Miss MAD :cry: