Google Music has [good] free music for my birthday

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Dec 29, 2013.

?

Where do you get your music?

1. Pandora

27.3%
  2. Spotify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Grooveshark

18.2%
  4. Rdio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Last.fm

9.1%
  6. iTunes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Amazon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Google Play

9.1%
  9. CDs

36.4%
  10. Piracy (seriously? It's fucking 2013)

63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I usually use Pandora for music because this is the shuffle generation, bitches. However, Pandora has a shitfit a couple times a year and tries to reimplement their 40 hour/mo listening limit for a month or two. A fleshed out Google Music library is handy for those times.

https://play.google.com/store/music

Google obviously knew it was my birthday, so they made a bunch of their 2013 top sellers free. You don't actually download anything (although you can). They just add the track license to your Google account.

They have various lists of free stuff all over the site and a few individual songs that weren't in lists.

The free songs that I liked:

• Yeezus (the entire album!)
    • Reflektor
    • Young And Beautiful
    • All Apologies
    • Tiny Dancer
    • Welcome To The Jungle
    • With Or Without You
    • I Can't Stop
    • Still Into You

And I don't want to hear your peasantry bullshit about music being cheap enough to buy outright. Nonpeasantry is a lifestyle.

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

ITS HIS BIRTHDAY AND HE IS LIKE GIVING SHIT FOR FREE.
    imspartacus for *****2014

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Christmas is great.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Meh, I like using pandora for finding new stuff. Usually I just listen to crap on youtube though.

I'm looking at this google thing and I find it a bit unnerving at the suggestions it's giving me based on what I watched on youtube.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Where's the Vinyl option and the DVD option? Your peasant ears might be okay with bad quality, but not everyone is made of the same clay.

(I am using CDs yeah)

6. ImSpartacus

If you think that's freaky, Google Now figures out where you live & work and provides automatic travel time estimates, amongst other things. The goal of Google Now is to guess the things you would google and give you that information before you have to search it.

I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords.

They didn't do it because it's Christmas. They did it because it's my birthday.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Imspartacus confirmed for pleb babby taste.

grooveshark is the best way to listen to free music at home/near an internet connection

but you idiots can't seem to understand that cloud-based music services are silly, you can't listen to that music in your car which is the best place to listen to music. 320 kbps mp3s or gtfo.

8. ImSpartacus

There's a place for you, my well-cultured sir.

And if that doesn't wet your whistle, please explain to us your culturally superior musical tastes in excrutiating detail.

Google Music automatically caches stuff. Grooveshark does not.

I understand that the the log cabin capital of the world sports some of the worst data caps on the planet, but a few hundred miles south lies a place where smart people locked in unlimited 4G data on their smartphones years ago for $30 a month.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. complete_

complete_ lamer

i get my music from my music folder
    and sometimes listen to stuff on tumblr

im dumbfounded how you think piracy is obsolete

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

None of the services listed have music I listen to. You also forgot another source, artists who give out their songs for free. I'm also surprised that you say Piracy is obsolete but not CDs.
    Real men use FLAC and transcode to 320kbps AAC if needed.
    Their recommendations are shit and entirely unrelated to what I look up on YouTube. Google has failed me once again; they're turning out to be some pretty incompetent overlords.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

FLAC takes up WAY too much space. I remember downloading the FLAC OST for Bastion and it was a gigabyte.

Pitchfork is a joke, especially Ryan Dombal who has the worst taste in rap, ruining any music discussion on /mu/.

and yes that's my place for music, /mu/ and di.fm

12. Sitka

Sitka Member

Not using 128mmp/s stereo FLAK
    [​IMG]

do you even make people around you be burnin' through the sky yeah?

13. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

No Bandcamp. lel u srs?

14. ImSpartacus

Music piracy is dead. We won.

There are multiple competing free options all over the place (the first half of my poll options) and multiple competing paid options offering DRM-free local options as well as convenient cloud-based solutions.

PC gaming is also pretty damn close to that point as well, but the AAA games are holding it back (and Steam has no legitimate competition). AAA publishers own the consoles, so the consoles are much further behind. Movies & TV are in the fucking stone age.

EDIT I feel like replying to your post will set you into a minor shitfit so I probably should elaborate to minimize said shitfit-ing:

[​IMG]

Right around 2006ish, everyone and their sister used shitty p2p services like limewire so the music industry shifted their business model. In the years following, everyone else has just been settling into a post-piracy equilibrium.

I agree. They are pretty terrible.

I think that's because it's kinda hard. Suggestions of any kind (Netflix suggesting movies, Amazon suggesting products, etc) are hard.

Google is impressive because they are trying and they are trying at a breadth that shames their competitors.

CDs will remain a great way to get high quality music for enthusiasts. I probably should've made the "CD" choice something like "CDs/vinyl/tapes/misc hipster sources" because that's what I meant with that choice.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Record player master race reporting in.

16. Candles

But Spartacus, you've forgotten that there are other reason to pirate. I don't pirate because I don't want to pay for music or because I don't want to deal with DRM. I pirate because it's impossible for me to get my music any other way. The major failing of modern music distribution platforms is that they simply don't have enough music.

17. ImSpartacus

Fuck, you're such a hipster.

I should've named the thread, "everyone tell me how your music taste is so much better than mine"

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Know your place pleb.

19. Candles

I didn't say anything about how my music is better than yours, just how it's different and that there are multiple reasons to pirate music.

But if you want to get defensive about me having better tastes in music, go right ahead. Although, I'm fairly certain that most people have better taste than me :3

20. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Google Music is for mainstream shit music. Lacks my distorted bass music.