Good AGP Vid Card

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NobleDragon, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I'm psychic :)

2. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

OK guys, out of the ones i posted above (added a few more that i found) Which would be a good one to buy? And feel free to add your own suggestions if you have any.

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I love the 9600 because it is an excellent budget card, and still a fair competition.

4. sgman

sgman Member

i have the 9600(got it about 1.5 years ago). i can get 30-100 fps usually. dont know what you guys are playing, but most games i play rearlly go unplayable or even choppy at all. my card is even 128MB

5. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

But ATi GTOs are the toned down versions(While NVIDIA GTs are the upped ones)... :( Almost everytime I've bought a toned down version I've felt miserable afterwards. But I don't know what's the situation now. I suggest googling for tests. :)

7. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

best AGP card is a 9800pro untill you can afford a PCIe one

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, just letting you know, I don't know what an AGP card is, but the ATI Radeon X800 is a PCI-Express one, and it's a step up to mine for onl $150 from a local Fry's Electronics. I usually have aroun 40-60 FPS.
    EDIT: Nevermind, you dont' wanna upgrade to PCIe. Sorry, can't help you then :/ I upgraded from a 566 Mhz, 10 Gb HD Windows 98 to a 3.2 Ghz, 250 Gb Hd, Windows XP. For the same price I bought the 98, or less. Lol.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  9. Jn.

Jn. Member

So would you all recommend an AGP or PCI express card? I'm shopping right now and I've seen really cheap prices for x1600s and such. Can someone also help me with brand names?:) Take something like a GeCube radeon x1600 pro 512 MB pci express AVIVO edition card for 140 bucks. I think that's really cheap, and I have a feeling it might be cheap because it isnt very good. The ATI radeon 512 MB x1600 is around 215. Can someone clarify this for me? BTW I got my info from tigerdirect.com.

10. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Well, I try to wait for Windows Vista. With that, DirectX10 will be introduced and withat Shader Version 4. And until now, there are no Shader 4 graphiccards available.
    When, I will migrate to a BTX-system.
    Until that, I won't upgrade, so I'll stay on AGP.
    Best cards for AGP are X850somewhat or NVidia GF 7600GS (or 7800GS?), but both aren't very cheap.
    Cheaper and yet good enough are GF6600/6800 or 9800pro/x800GTO.

And because of my broken fan on the graficcard (9700pro) it got a permanent damage, so I will have to buy something, before Shader 4 is out.
    As I wrote above, I'll look for a X800GTO.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

thats a lie, its not even this generation :P

I had one and have bought a 6800XT awhile ago and I can guarantee you its a lot better

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

my X800XT AGP serves me well, I'm also waiting till Vista SP1 comes out to upgrade my system. at least in canada you can get an x800 for $150. AGP prices are going into free fall because of PCI-E

13. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

Ok guys, thank you all for your helpful (and some no-so helpful :p ) replys. And based on all the info gathered here ive come to a near descision on the card i want (link below). Now unfortunatly there are no Customer Reviews for the bad boy on Newegg so if anyones has heard anything bad about this card I would be greatly apprcieative of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150155