Glycen city

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ^Dee^, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

From the game earlier, I noted that most people consider the HDR on glycen city to be far too bright. Even I have noticed that it looks a little brighter since the internal tests.

Another complaint was that the skybox was just a slab of white

Personal complaint: It's too easy to spawn camp the first spawns. Playing as NF, the front door was camped from the fountain bit, a turret outside the side door and a guy on the roof dropping grenades down the ladder. Pretty much nothing we could do :P

---

However, it did receive quite a fair bit of praise (sp?) and I too enjoyed playing it quite a bit. I especially like the BE winter uniforms :)

2. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

The HDR is too bright? Christ, I played it WITHOUT HDR and I couldn't see a crap, because everything was white. I think the map's lighting needs to be darkened a GREAT DEAL.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

mumbles something about gamma and brightness settings on monitors...

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Try to be constructive >.>

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

If Glycen city is the only uber bright map, I don't think it is the monitors.

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I thought glycencity looked great. Not too bright for me.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Not bright at all here. It's dazzling when you move from a dark environment to outside, but I thought that was the point of HDR? No complaints from me. And besides, all this is clientside, so you can tone it down (or off) if that's what you prefer.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

This is what i find annoying. It's as if a giant, perfectly flat, white plate is put against a blue skybox.

The map itself is good gameplay-wise, at least for the few times i've played in it.

9. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

No. Seriously, the map is too bright. Every other map for every other mod and game on my PC looks fine. Darkening my screen just makes the snow look like equal shades of light gray, thus still not enabling me to figure out the shape of anything that has snow on it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  10. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh I dont know, I havent seen the map apart fromt he screenies. Anyway I was just pointing out a rude quick fix for the problem..

11. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

No a quick fix would be to grab some sunglasses lol.:p

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

a less than quick fix anyway :P

13. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

but snow covered areas can be blinding when the sun hits them, untill your eyes adgust. I think Glycyn captures that very well.

14. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

This year at my house I saw 8 feet of snow. I think Glycin represents what it is meant to portray quite well. When you go from inside to out and get blinded, well that happens on a sunny day.

I had no problems with its brightness.

15. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I think the problem people are having with the brightness is not the brightness as such, but the lack of detail on the snow. It just looks like a big slab of white in some places, which combined with the HDR could lead to the impression of overbrightening.

16. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

You bring it to the point,and you already got the answer to fix this "problem" simply make the snow a little more "random"

17. Simon

Simon Banned

People will just turn HDR off because it is too crippiling. If it stays as bright as is it is now I know I will. Other than that nice map.

18. Warfle

Warfle Member

There's a 75% chance I screwed something up on the Non-HDR version of the lighting. Most people that think It's way too bright are probably playing without HDR enabled. Fixing this asap.

And as far as the 3d skybox goes, because it's at 100% fogged (needs to be for z-clipping), any detail you put in there won't be seen because it will just blend in with the fog of the mountains. I'll admit I was really lazy with this, maybe ill change the 2d skybox so it blends with the map better and get rid of the 3d skybox.

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The point of blinding snow is that its blinding the moment you step outside, but once you adjust its not as cripling; unlike in Glycen where the snow practicaly beams white slabs;

Though real snow is also just a white slab (When bright) you can still make out the small sparkling texture of it; thus still giving it some texture...

20. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

playing without HDR or Bloom and it looks great