Global Banlist

Discussion in 'Archive' started by rampantandroid, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

People seem to be forgetting that the ban list is totally transparent and that the ability to be an admin is not given out to random idiots. it's given to trusted members of the community that understand the game and . as has already been said several times, bans will require PROOF.

you're acting like there are going to be bans for stupid reasons. you act as though the admins of it will be able to get away with banning without proof, and as if bans will be undetestable.

there are not going to be clans banned. there simply are not. Sharing of information at the top level? have you seen my griefer blacklist thread? that's sharing at the top level, ever server owner can see that, yet because the bans didn't get automatically added to the servers it's not going to get through. someone on the griefer blacklist thread was able to ruin several other games on other servers.

offenders go away? after what, they've already ruined several games on several servers?

you act as though players arn't being turned away from empired due to griefers, because there are.

empires cannot, i repeat cannot be made griefer proof. that is impossible.

how do you stop people getting voted in that only intend to drive the CV into water?
    how do you stop people buying vehicles that they have no intention of using?
    how do you stop people ramming friendly players and vehicles just to irritate them?
    how do you stop people walling off areas of the map such as canyons purely to stop their team getting past (seen it done)
    for some griefs i can see a long winded code around that could take minutes to hours of krenzo's time. but empires is not ever going to be griefer proof. and there ARE griefers out there.

people will grief on counterstrike and TF2 by doing stuff such as standing in front of people so they can't get a shot off. that is the extent of how low they will stoop. pointless, boring and plain dull griefs that can be a pain to everyone.

2. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

@PS - Agreed

It will all be out in the open and the ban process will be transparent --> forums

Global bans will not be made INGAME, but rather by complaint/dicussion.

I think the way RA is making the plugin is it will update the server banlist once daily and constantly via mysql (banlist is a fall back if it can't contact mysql).

And as I said --> optional.

I've talked to a number of server admins and they are interested by the final product

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No, they wouldn't. The system will be set up to be impartial, so Evan's dislikes...my dislikes....and anyone else's dislikes would NOT have domain on the banlist. If someone hated a clan enough to ban them from their server, fine, but it won't go on the global banlist unless every last one of those clan members is shown to have been griefing or doing whatever else that was worthy of a global ban.

A whole heirarchy of offenses and matching levels of punishments would need to be laid out - for example, would nine mining a CV to be an ass be treated the same as suiciding the CV when the round is hopelessly lost? I don't approve of suiciding the CV like that, but I think it is a lesser offense.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

An issue I have yet to address, this is. I feel that, if it is a properly hosted server (dedicated, not in someone's basement) then it should be OK...but I also see that it might be worth it to ONLY allow for bans to be submitted from servers running the plugin, which raises the question of having the plugin track when a server becomes passworded or has cheats on, to avoid a ban being submitted that is not legit.