Give weapons actual names

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vulkanis, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

This wouldn't take much time to do for the next release, some weapons are modeled after after real guns such as the NF SMG 1 actually taking after the Polish Blyskawcia. I don't imply that the weapons should be named after their real life counterparts, just think of something like.

Gievolok MK22
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I was going to do a thread on this at some point, but then I realised how much effort it would require. I'd have to type and click and everything.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I did already mention this a few times, and other people did too.

We can do it piecemeal, name whatever we can - the good names, and just update as we go.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

5. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

This is a nit pick but one word names for weapons can be a bit confusing when you try to refer to them in any communication. MK22 is far faster to type and has less discepency than Digger, Defender, Negotiator etc etc. New players would have a difficult time differentiating between the weapons.

6. flasche

why should anyone refer to them in stressfull situations anyway. its quite unimportant tbh.
    i think ive never told anyone if the engi that runs towards us has SMG1 or 2 - thats irrelevant information.
    the only weapon i sometimes refer to is the HMG and i think ill always say "careful, HMG whore around the corner" - and scunt rofle will stay scunt rofle too ;)

if this serves any purpose, then its to please the RP-faction here that cannot live without a background story and reason (aka the "if NF is more genetically modified why does their calculator not shoot green blobs instead of sparks" guys)

7. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I don't mean in the middle of combat Flasche, I mean just in casual conversation kind of things, If a new player is discussing some weapon or asking how to use a certain weapon effectively.

8. flasche

then its equally irrelevant since new players probably wont refer to them by those names ...

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

DUB-33 BE Hand Cannon

10. FN198

FN198 Member

Clearly the BEHR should be named after me or my idol, Relikie.

FN Enhanced Automatic Rifle
    or FEAR for short.

11. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Northern
    Faction
    Harry
    Rifle

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

quit stealing my idea to name a weapon after someone.. Ignore them!

13. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

why dont we ask krenzo for suggestions on names? the reason is that most of the names we come up with is gonna be lame. but its ok if krenzo comes up with lame names since it was/is his mod ^_^.. he should have the honor in naming.

14. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

NFAR : AK-47

Serious list of names with made up arms companies.

NFHR: Kozlov Mk55 "Veliko" (Big in Slovenian)

NFMG: Petrova Avtomatska Puška (Petrova Automatic Rifle, PAR for short)

NFAR: Kozlov AP-76 (As in Anti-Personnel 7.62, Don't know the caliber of it.)

BEAR: Bauer KR-9 "Mörder" (Murderer in Deutsch)

BEMG: Fleischern Automatische Steun Wapen ( Fleischern Automatic Support Weapon, FAS for short)

BECAR: Bauer KR-8 Sulm Karabinë (Bauer KR-8 Assault Carbine)

You could probably use the English or the Foreign names, I thought the Foreign names might be cool seeing as NF and BE aren't English speaking .Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. FN198

FN198 Member

rename that to slaughterer in deutsch

16. flasche

Gemetzel, Metzelei, Schlacht (its more like battle though i think), Schlachtung

ur choice - in that context, id go for Metzger though, which means butcher ;)

alright, so - neither of those are german, idk if it was intentionally, but if you want german thats how we'd call it. ill use the same Fleischer/Bauer brands you used ...

BEHMG:
    Fleischer Schweres Maschinengewehr (which actually - oh wonder - translates to heavy machinegun; yours directly translated would end up as Fleischer Automatische Ünterstützungswaffe, which isnt wrong but no german would ever call it this way; idk what Automatische Steun Wapen should mean, maybe Automatische Sturm Waffe? but that'd mean automatic assault weapon and wouldnt make much sense)

BECAR:
    Bauer KR-8 Sturm Karabiner (though wed prolly say Sturmgewehr, which translates to - you guess it - assault rifle)

17. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

NFHR should be called STRELOK

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

Schlächter?

19. Empty

Empty Member

BE talks like americans and NF talk like russians.

20. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

Some of the Names were intentionally done not in German to give it sort of a multi-cultural empire thing. Sulm Karabinë Is Albanian I think, and Automatische Steun Wapen is Dutch.

I like the "Metzger" a lot more than my nickname, partially because he was the Slave Guild head in Fallout 2.
    Fleischer Schweres Maschinengewehr Sounds pretty good too. Strumgewehr would be a good choice, but I think the Carbine should have Carbine in the name, albeit in some different language.

Quiet you. I can't see any reason BE would be English, an I demand fiction that proves it. Plus, Foreign-named guns sound infinitely cooler.

Revised Gun List(Changes in Red)

NFHR: Kozlov Mk55 "Veliko" (Big in Slovenian)

NFMG: Petrova Avtomatska Puška (Petrova Automatic Rifle, PAR for short)

NFAR: Kozlov AP-76 "Upor" (As in Anti-Personnel 7.62, Don't know the caliber of it, nickname means rebellion)

BEAR: Bauer KR-9 "Metzger" (Butcher in Deutsch)

BEMG: Fleischern Schweres Maschinengewehr ( Fleischern Heavy Machinegun, FMG for short)

BECAR: Bauer KR-8 StrumKarabiner (Bauer KR-8 Assault Carbine)