Getting Revived deducts one from your "deaths"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Getting Revived deducts one from your "deaths"

very simple suggestion. people who play in a squad or work together will finally be able to look at their score and see what it truely represents. You'll be able to tell who has been sucking up tickets.

If it's not hard to code, I'm sure this most trivial of suggestions would be a nice addition for people that like to see their score as an actual representation of their ability.

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Or maybe it should be spawning which puts the death on. That would show who is using tickets, and who is waiting for respawns

3. Goose

Goose Member

I would hope the person who kills them, still gets credit for the kills.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Yea, of course

5. Reef

Reef Member

Carefull player will have 30-6, rambo that dies all the time and gets revived will have 30-6 too. Stats will totally change it's meaning. Personally I like the system like it is now (and like it is in every game that I know, especially gungame, deathmatch, quake, BF). Just don't fix something that works.
    Dying is Your fault, if You get revived You are lucky: You don't use a ticket and You don't have to run from spawn... But still, You have died, so the counter is incremented.

6. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Deaths count how many times you died, and revive just makes you alive again. If this was to go in, then you should also take away a death every time you respawn, because it's the exact same thing, except in a different spot.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Two seperate columns, one tickets used and the other death :)

8. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

^I think this is a more eloquent solution and would seem to take less code. I like the general idea though. It would really put the emphasis on team play. Shooting a lot of enemies shouldn't be the sole measure of someone's skill.

9. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Separate offense/support points?

I fail to see what this suggestion would contribute. It sounds like you're arguing for an easily recognizable scapegoat.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

That's not true. Two things:

First, someone who stays near a revive engineer is making a strategic decision that saves tickets; someone who decides to push harder and die more often because they know they've got good engineers who can revive them is making a decision, that helps their team. It's not random, it's strategy and skill, and it's something that is perfectly valid to factor into scores.

But second, and more importantly, players should not be playing the game all worried about their personal score or death count; they should be thinking about their team. If there are several engineers nearby who can revive you, you should go rambo (as long as you're careful to die where you can be revived.) You should run up and set off mines, knowing your team can revive you; you should dive directly into the line of fire to protect revivers, tanks, and other important goals. Someone who still plays 'carefully' even when there are engineers devoted to reviving them is not playing the game well; in fact, they're playing it badly, worrying more about their own stupid statistics when they should be pushing hard with the advantage the revivers give them and helping their team.

The point you made is a strong reason to support this suggestion. Players should be directly and harshly discouraged from viewing their own death count as an 'achievement'; it is not. A sniper who hangs back and gets many meaningless kills who instantly get revived, while never managing to take out the revivers for good or achieve an important goal, has done badly, and they shouldn't have any feel-good advantage in scores or stats over the rifleman who charges forward, dies twenty times and gets revived, then finally takes the point. The rifleman is a good player; the sniper isn't.

The game is all about pushing. When there is an engineer or two around who can revive you all the time, players should never ever ever be dissuaded from pushing harder just because of some stupid meaningless death count. As long you aren't costing your team a ticket, the death absolutely shouldn't be recorded on your stats.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

when i suggested it i just thought that if it's a pretty quick code it would be nice for everyone, so you can see your score as a real representation of how much you've worked for your time. currently, because you could die but be revived loads, i think it lies, so you can't really say that someone with 3.0 kd is better than someone with 0.5. The best people, working in a squad, pushing out of the base, will be getting kills, getting killed, but will stick with their squad and be revived, so are helping their team a lot more.

If it's hard to code then it's not worth it.

12. Reef

Reef Member

Aquillion: You are right, ofcourse.

In BattleGrounds 2 personal stats were... compleatly hidden, to encourage teamwork. The game is a bit weird, You use muskets (1 shot with a big cloud of smoke, weapon is not that accurate, reloading it takes 7s). I would ask if we need the death counter in Empires at all. Not having it would encourage teamplay even more than substracting a death point upon revive. We could add a ticket-usage counter instead. It would be usefull: Your team would encourage You not to use tickets and to get revived --> teamplay level increases --> success.

Sandbag: it seems to be trivial to code.

Ah I forgot: both death counter and ticket-usage counter would clutter the hud, but if We need both of them, we should have them.

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

How about ticket-use, ticket-use/min, and ticket-use/life?

Okay, maybe not the last one, but the first two look good to me.

After all, someone who's been in the whole game may have a high ticket use, but a low tickets/min.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I fully support the suggestion to not show the kills.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I like the kills, deaths, and points. Just add another for Tickets used.

16. Mutant Freak

Mutant Freak Member

If something like this is going to be in the game, I agree with Metal Smith and others. Anything beyond this seems like unnecessary statistics to me.

17. Reef

Reef Member

-Mayama-: Hiding kills is not fun (I played BattleGrounds 2 for some time so I know).

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

just the score, kills and tickets used plz :)

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

TF2 hides kills (it just shows your overall score, so things like kill assists, captures, destroying turrets, etc factor into it, while backstabs and headshots count double.) Nobody really seems bothered by this.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

You can see your own kills on the scoreboard, just not anyone else's.