Get rid of the commander target ability

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -Mayama-, Feb 23, 2008.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Get rid of it.
    We have cameras & radars.
    It makes it more boring for the comm.
    Yes but damn get rid of it. ^^

Maybee let him only target units that one of your
    team can see or the cameras / radars.

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

ehh... Tahts already the case?

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

You can target someone and the targeted person cant hide somewhere.
    Thers no chance to get rid of your "mark".

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I agree, get rid of it. It essentially replaces the camera and forces commanders to spam attack orders everywhere. There's no point giving single-attack orders to mark specific targets because it will just hurt your team.

5. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think you can get rid of the mark by driving "under the fog of war." That makes the mark freeze until you come inside the "visible area" again and it may even unlock from you. I have seen unlocking too.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

The problem with targeting is mass holding ctrl and drag well...
    You can spot people in the 'visible' area, even if no one knows they are there.
    Very unfair for some, and it does force target spamming.
    Maybe getting rid of ctrl drag would be alright, but I want to tell people to attack single targets.

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

how's it a pain? just drag a box over them or the terrain. it's that easy. it takes less than a second

I'm 100% behind you, attack orders against infantry and vehicles really don't make much sense. it's a wallhack. It gives one player an unfair advantage over another for no good reason, which in turn creates a reliance on your commander to do it, which means that it's one more reason why new commanders suffer and get abused. It means that players under a new commander don't get a fair game either.

also, this was discussed here: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=3557

10. REX

REX Member

yes especially on crossroads I sometimes feel that it is unfair when I can see a group is about to rush around corners and so on. That gives you time to stop and go for ironsights. Also people who try to hide.

Also because it doesnt blink you can see exactly where they are going. Up close you know exactly when they rush. With the orange camera things you can sometimes be surprised and often dont get the timing of the mortar right.

11. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Just make the target reticle drop as soon as the target can no longer be seen by anything on your side(player/camera/radar). How hard is that? It is usefull for like asking the comm to spot a sniper on a hill but its over powered when it can be used with artillery and feedback skill.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Have the order only vissible on minimap.

13. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

as much as i enjoy using it i have to say the current target marking is just a wallhack, and i kinda doubt that it should be available in a multiplayer game.
    no idea how to replace it, maybe keep it minimap only or only allow one person to be marked but sumthing has to be done about it imo.

14. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I say just make it one person marked. Even if it's for the minimap only it's a HUGE advantage.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

This wallhack is almost fine. It should blink like camera diamonds do.

16. Chahk

Chahk Member

It should disappear when the target moves out of the soldier's "draw" distance.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

this doesn't always help on maps like crossroads where they can be perfectly hidden behind some brush or a giant stone, but the com can just set attack orders.

Also, if you get an attack order on a scout before he uses hide, it will stay on him.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It adds to teamwork, I don't see the problem. Should it be unfair that your commander is faster at dropping buildings?

19. FalconX

FalconX Developer

The trouble is that it gets the commander more directly involved in troop combat than he should be.

It seems to me that the best solution would be to only allow the order to be set on locations. This way the comm can still direct his troops, and even tell them about the enemy he sees if he so chooses, but the troops are still fighting the enemy on their own. In addition, the attack order will still work against buildings, because if you place it at the location of a building that building will stay there and be painted. So, overall, instead of "go here, shoot this," it would be, "fight people in this general vicinity."

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yes falcon, static attack orders and not moving ones are the solution.

This is not akin to dropping buildings faster. as you know, while the strategy is down to the commander, the players on the ground are what should decide the fight. you shouldn't have an unfair advantage or disadvantage fighting an identical infantry person just because of who your commander is. when it comes to mono e mono, it should always be the players skill that decided the winners of battles, not who has the best commander.

that's not even begining to mention the "elitism" that it creates, offering the team with the more experienced commander a massive unfair advantage over the enemy team. even if the enemy team had better strategy, better accuracy, better teamwork, this could easily lead to the crummy team winning, just because of their commander. Last I heard, that's not what empires is about, and nobody should deserve to lose the match just because their commander isn't as good as the enemy commander at drag selecting areas of the map.

if this wasn't implemented, could you justify adding it?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008