Gears of War

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rampantandroid, Sep 8, 2008.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Out of curiosity...

Am I the only person who thinks GOW is one of the worst games ever made (let alone ported to PC from a console)? The cover system on PC is painful as hell, the friendly AI consists of "RUN IN, DIE, YELL FOR HELP!"...story is nearly nonexistant (and yeah, who are the locusts? Why did you not tell me if I go into dark areas raven like things eat me...? etc.)

And my GOD is it boring. Point, shoot, empty clip...I mean, in my opinion, when I start to count how many clips it takes to kill each enemy type, its a sign the game is FAR too repetitive...

Its redeeming quality? Ummmm...It has good graphics? Hell, Crysis has a better storyline!

Anyway...

[/rant]

2. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

i conqure.

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's redeeming quality is a chainsaw gun.

Plus it appeals to people who like big sweaty muscular men.

4. davee magee

davee magee Member

lol.
    so true.
    i bought it the other day aswell, 10 minutes then bored.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I don't feel so bad as I didn't pay much for it, from the company store...but still. Wow.

And lol at Avair, the game is designed that even on PC, you can use an XBox controller with it....but Halo 2 is different....it doesn't become so easy its boring on PC....so not all console ports suck horribly....

And is it just me, or has every character in that game used steroids since they were an infant?

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I made a post last night about GOW on another forum...and that's the same conclusion I drew there - the console crowd is too easy to please. Nearly all console ports to PC are terrible...or at best, bland (cough, oblivion, cough)...

7. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I think it's safe to say that Oblivion would have been equally bland had it been PC-first (cough Morrowind cough). Don't get me wrong, I love both games, but that's just their style.
    Granted, the interface wouldn't have been so completely and obscenely shitty.

8. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

On the bright side, Multiwinia is on 360 and pc, and if you've played Darwinia on pc, you know how it could behave pretty damn well on a 360.

Most hot FPS's are more in the tradition of action movies x.x. Good for one ride, than its boring and you realize you just paid 60 bucks for 10 hours of entertainment, where if you bought an old school gem you never picked up, you'd be glued for months.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I liked the graphics a LOT. Plus it always crashed for me except for on this one good computer, so I just said "fuck it" and I played it for an entire week, finished it and then threw it into a thrash compactor

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Graphics don't make a game good though. If getting REALLY good games meant new games that looked on par with SS2, I'd be pretty happy.

But yes, the graphics do look good....UE3 does pretty good at that, but the graphics only last for so long. You need something like HL2 that combines good graphics with great storyline.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

new genre...

RPFPS....

>_>

12. Empty

Empty Member

The chainsaw gun might get used once if you're lucky.

The thing was a bitch to install, it took me 4 hours to get the installer working, then we had to download a crack for LIVE because it didn't work and wouldn't allow us to save, THEN we found you can only save at checkpoints, and only one person can play at a time, WORSE than that, if you play coop, it overwrites your normal game! WHAT THE SHIT

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Xbox version is the same. You just need to create a new account on the xbox to save coop to. PC version installed fine for me though - I was done installing inside of 5 minutes...and Windows Live doesn't need to be cracked - its free now.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

The little bit that I played I just spent the entire time trying to chainsaw everyone. XD

Come to think of it that's what I did in Halo and Fear. :|

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

So you're the ass who ran around punching people all the time?! BASTARD!

Melee was SOOO funny in Fear.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah I know lol, currently playing Dwarf Fortress so I know gameplay comes before graphics.

Also, there is not a big chance that anything as good as SS2 will come out in the next years or so. Maybe Left 4 Dead, but that's a whole different genre.

17. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I always expect the worst from games. Very few are at all original these days. Most are just cookie cutter copies of what MAY HAVE BEEN a good game ages ago.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, but in FEAR and Halo, it's first person, so you actually knwo what your chainsaw is aiming at.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

please explain to me how i start up a self sufficient dwarven colony, turning the manual upside down has not helped me at all and i just want to build them some houses or something and still failing :(

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

big sweaty men, skimpy clothes... reminds me of "meat hammer 5".

i thought it was pretty fun actually, especially curb stomping. yum. enemies taking about 2 clips to kill was a bitch, but i enjoyed it i gotta say.. i even liked the charecters.