Gameplay Style Equality

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by NemesisLeon, Apr 15, 2013.

1. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

Strategy gameplay is fun, FPS gameplay is fun. So is racing, fighting, managing, and every other style of gameplay in every genre that videogames can provide.

Why not make an independent, self-contained version of each genre and allow the player to choose which style they wish? All of these gameplay styles happening simultaneously. Obviously, Empires mod only contains RTS and FPS gameplay styles, so that would be the focus of this idea.

Basically, it seems ridiculous to allow only ONE player to have a RTS role. I wish that FPS and RTS gameplay were handled on a per-player basis. Each player could choose how they wish to play, and they would manage their own, independent gameplay style. Of course, the overall power of each individual player would need to stay the same despite which gameplay style they are using. Game balance must be maintained.

A possible alternative is that RTS players provide supportive roles to more active FPS players via a form of management gameplay. This alternate idea isn't fleshed-out though.

Thoughts? :headshot:

EDIT: I don't suggest that Empires be reworked to fit this.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

This would be a complete change from what empires is and the rts mechanic would have to be completely redone.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

You sort of have a RTS function as the "infantry" man.
    You decide where to attack, how you play and where you spawn.

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I think he means being able to decide between playing starcraft and playing battlefield even if theres already a com. Which is a good idea because it lessens the "OH GODDAMNIT A NOOB IN THE COM" problem, but it's such a huge change that you might as well make a whole game around it.

5. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

Yes, this. It doesn't take a whole game to build a gameplay style. Starcraft's gameplay still consists of clicking to move-and-attack and a group of guys.

see Star Void for the best example I currently have of the halfway point between a fps and rts.:|ove:

6. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Yeah, I know. But since that won't happen and would likely turn the game into another game.. This is the RTS part we have.

7. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I get what you're saying but development is slow around here and it's such a massive change that everyone would get butthurt and it would never happen anyway.

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

This suggestion is so incredibly vague and ambiguous, I don't even know what to say about it.

I want to say it's a good idea, but I don't want to call it an idea because I don't see any explanation of, well, anything.

9. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

Everyone keeps acting like I'm demanding this be in Empires right now. I didn't even demand it be in Empires.

Empires is a rts/fps hybrid, so I mentioned an rts/fps hybrid idea. Suddenly, the non-existent idea that I want it in Empires is what everyone assumes.

It's all detailed well in the first post. Some will read it and think, staying positive. Don't make any assumption, no implications exist. Hopefully, people can just read and think it over without making assumptions or getting confused.
    :confused:

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

@op so if you dont think empires will and should change, whats the point of the post?

11. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

The same point as this forum and this section in it. Discussion of our thoughts.

Your move.

12. flasche

no - i agree with you. id actually would love to play a game that goes even further and have everyone play both fps and rts as a requirement. pretty much warcraft3 in a modern setting just that heroes are fps and not 3rd person ...

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Development resources are basically non-existent. Feel free to use this part of the forum as you wish, but don't ever expect any of your suggestions to ever be implemented, ever. You can, however, expect the community to ruthlessly rip them apart and belittle you mercilessly.

Welcome to Empires. :|ove:

14. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

As usual :|ove:

Everything has to be about conquering something. :headshot:

I didn't mean EACH player plays fps&rts at the same time. I meant they choose one or the other. You could hybridize the two though; that's already been done by Star Void.

People also have to remember how important bots are...... a multiplayer game doesn't exist without the multiple players. Only the more popular multiplayer games actually exist since people are playing them. Bots cause EVERY multiplayer game to exist as a playable product. If someone made this idea, I'd suggest that they put much effort into bots.

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Really the discussion is about an entirely different game. The thing that makes Empires both great and very frustrating is that there is only one RTS player and a bunch of human FPS players.

As an RTS game it is great, pretty demanding but equally rewarding. If you make mistakes your whole team pays for it. People are not always understanding, if you command regularly you are kind of in charge of peoples enjoyment for the evening.

I like lots of the RTS/FPS cross overs & I'd probably enjoy playing the kind of game you descrie as I can make it out. Perhaps one where everyone is an FPS/RTS player with some decent AI squad members and you can order them around achieving things, gaining points & when you get enough points you can enlist/buy other players, AIs, vehicles, etc to order around. But its an idea of an entirely different kind of RTS/FPS game.

Its not a bad idea as a discussion, but it is a direction I imagine no-one here wants to see Empires go down. Most people have now played this game for 3+ years at least and wouldn't still be playing if they didn't love the mechanics as they are, all people really want is new features, vehicles, shiny things, maps, etc. Decent AI would be nice, even just to have engineers that walk around building stuff and shooting things randomly, but as I understand it & you will understand if you take a short look through the suggestions forum - there is no where near enough man hours in the dev team to make something like that happen unfortunately.

16. flasche

can you please link me to this star void game? i can only find some moba/rts crossover something and a space game, id be interested ...

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The why bother posting it in the Empires forum at all? You'd certainly get a better response in all sorts of other forums.

18. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I think it would be cool to have a game that you pick a genre at the start of the round and play against another team full of different genres.

Like the rts guys build bases and command bots and the fps people just go around being overpowered as fuck and the rpg guys spam aoe everywhere and the puzzle people are off to the side playing tetris

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

No, they'd be like hackers or something and they'd hinder enemy progress just like scout sabotage does at our place. Only each time you are faced with a different puzzle.

20. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you want my opinion, I think you're suggesting that empires become a different game. Your suggestions are so core to the game that they would change it into something unrecognizable as empires. I want to make it clear that this entity might not a bad game, but it wouldn't be empires.