Gain points for inflicted damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SnowDrakE, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

As mentioned in some other thread in the gameplay subforum, I think this idea actually has merit.

For about every 100 damage inflicted on infantry and 200 on vehicles, you gain 1 point. In order to keep things a bit more balanced, I would remove points for kills, but if you inflict around 100 damage, you would pretty much get a kill anyway, leaving no real disadvantage compared to the old system.

Pro:
    - much fairer distribution of experience based on actual participation
    - suppressive fire will also net points compared to killwhoring
    - counterbalances engineer point farming
    - anti-vehicle grenadiers will finally be able to get a few points as well
    - assisted killing will also count towards getting points

Con:
    - means a tiny bit more strain on the server, but cheap calculations
    - needs to be implemented by a coder

How much damage you need to gain 1 point is up for debate. I can see this working in 2 ways. Either you go with a higher number of damage and keep the points for killing, or you remove killing points and take lower damage numbers.

Personally, I would go for a hybrid:
    Keep points for kills, 200 damage on infantry, 300 damage on vehicles and tankdrivers don't get damage points, only kills, because tanks already kill pretty well.

This means a slight experience penalty when driving a tank, which doesn't strike me as a problem, because it will still behave the same as right now.

2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Huh, that's a good idea. Infact I like this idea. It makes grenadiers useful in that they still get points for shooting vehicles, not necessarily killing them though.

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Point aren't that important for many people because the stats are gone.

But generally I support this suggestion, I would only change some things:
    Still give one point, if enemy is killed / destroyed. But give additional points if
    200 damage inflicted on infantry or 400 damage inflicted to vehicles.[/B][/I]

Better idea see: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=247087&postcount=8

To find the right values, we need some test sessions. Even the best players of each team should not have more than 70 - 100 points at the end of a map (commander maps only).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  4. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

I concur. After 40 points, the importance is diminished anyway, but it should not reach astronomical values. Once you have access to all 4 skills, it's up for debate if you really need something like a "score".

Can experience be detached from the score itself?

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Points per damage has been brought up before, and remains a good idea. Nothing like chipping away at a heavy tank only to have it killed by a random shot from across the map.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Adding points per some amount of damage isn't a bad idea, but never forget this:

KILLS PAY THE BILLS.

people HAVE to be rewarded for killing, because the only way to make progress in the game is to kill.

If the point system is a kind of 'cap-and-trade' for what people should be doing anyway, then we should reward people for the kind of behavior that propels gameplay forward. Therefore, any system that doesn't reward points for killing (actually getting a killing blow) something/someone is stupid.

If you guys are insistent upon this point per damage system, as an alternative I recommend 1 point for 500 points of infantry damage, and 1 point for 400 points of tank damage, while keeping current kill rewards the same. Why? because when you're in a tank, damage just flies by. If you're using an HE med you frequently can hit for 120+ (infantry) damage per shot if you're hitting an entrenched position, and if you're in a chaingun/grenade APC it's just about as bad. Also, Grens do 105+ damage per shot to tanks right now and I think it would be really silly to give them a point every time they land a hit. It seems to me like the scores would be really broken in this scenario, and IMO scores right now are pretty much where they need to be.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Pickled, the reason they want to add this is in, is think of this:

You are in your heavy where damage flies by, you shoot another tank with everything you've got. Then a little LT drives by, shoots one shoot at the tank and gets the kill. Should you not be rewarded for anything you did against that heavy, except repair duty on your tank?

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

But heavy tank can have up to 2600 health. So we have to think about a system, where you won't receive to many points.

What about an assist point system?
    1 point for killing/destoying enemy.
    If another player has done a certain (maybe 50%) percentage of damage to the enemy he will also receive an assist point.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

that is exactly why i disagree with this idea, killing 3 guys that have low hp and possibly not getting even a single stupid point is just ridiculous , in a high dmg game like empires having high hp doesnt mean auto-win on 1on1 , let alone 1 on more. Low hp players can still kil you often even if you have high hp, how exactly balanced is that they get a whole point for a burst of bullets when you have to put alot more effort to get it?

that problem is far less important for vehicles because of their toughness and "rarity", but getting a killshot on a veh should still give you a point (not really for jeeps) for exact same reasons.

Kill-Assist system is waay better for inf combat

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Frankly, the only shot that mattered was the one shot that killed the heavy tank.

Otherwise it's just a meaningless conflict where the drivers can retreat, repair their tanks, and drive away with a warm fuzzy feeling because they got a bunch of points.

No... the more I think about this the more I am opposed to it. The kill needs to be rewarded with a point, not damage dealt.

11. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Of course kills need to be rewarded with points, but doing some damage should actually get you some as well. And as for what you said about the RPG, I didn't know the actual numbers and just proposed something. With that much, I'd say something like a point every 1,000 damage.

And that is why we need a point system. It's nearly impossible to gain points as a grenadier because as soon as you really damage a tank, it drives off.

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Rofl. This is a problem with the grenadier class, not the current point system. LET'S PAY PEOPLE TO STAY UNEMPLOYED BECAUSE THAT WILL FIX UNEMPLOYMENT! YEAH!

13. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

boo to this idea. way to many potential problems, anything from, no let the light tank go and only kill the heavys so we can keep feeding off him to the scout class being way to strong as it used to be , i mean if i aint gotta kill anything ill take the silencer skill camp on a ridge and just shoot people one at a time untill ive got all four slots filled, riflemen can nade spamn for massive points, engineers turrets would be giving partial points all over district, its more then just grenediers we gotta think about..

beyond that after your four skills make it ever 20 and 1 squad point is added to your squad lol.

14. Empty

Empty Member

I think you should be rewarded more for taking down a 2600 health heavy, because it's a shit ton harder than taking down a paper AFV.

I require sense in posts to understand them.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Empty:
    You are rewarded by the advantage for your team, because the enemy just wasted a lot of resources.
    Ok, but for most players this doesn't count.

So here an improved version of the assist point system:

You always get one point if you do the last hit.
    Assisting players will get also one point, if they do more than the defined damage. The percentage will be calculated from the base health including the repaired and healed health.

No assist points:
    (Jeep, camera, turrets, armory, refinery)

Max. 1 assist point:
    (Infantry, APC, AFV/LT)
    Min damage to get assist point: 51%

Max. 2 assist points:
    (Radar, vf, barracks, Medium Tank, Arty)
    Min damage to get assist point: 34%

Max. 3 assist points:
    (Heavy Tank)
    Min damage to get assist point: 26%

Max. 5 assist points:
    (Command vehicle)
    Min damage to get assist point: 17%

Example:
    4 players kill one Medium tank.
    First player does 50% damage --> 1 assist point
    Second player does 40% damage --> 1 assist point
    Third player does 5% damage
    Fourth player does 5% damage and final kill --> 1 normal point

If we use this system the points for promotion and squad skills should also be changed.

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Except that doing 1,000 damage is a LOT. I'm pretty sure keeping it high would very easily avoid your doomsday scenario.

I like that!

17. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

18. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

The problem with "certain amount of damage" to a tank is the following:

Shoot a tank. Do 70% damage. Tank flees, gets repaired. Engineer gets points. Shoot tank again. Do 60% damage. Tank gets repaired, engineer gets points. Shoot a tank. Do 95% damage. Tank flees...

You see what I am getting at? Why keep grenadiers and riflemen out of this loop?

If you change that on engineers, I would go with the assist system. But as it is currently, I see the experience imbalance towards engineers at 80% of the time. ESPECIALLY since a engineer tank driver can repair his own tank AND recieve points for that.

19. Helve

Helve Member

i like the idea

20. Empty

Empty Member

We also need some more vehicle skills for scouts and riflemen.

I reckon armor detection should go to scouts along with speed, making them hit and run drivers.

Riflemen maybe should get a skill to boost tank vs infantry effectiveness, keeping their anti-infantry role.

Grens might get a tank hunting advantage, perhaps both the gren tank armor skill (buffed) and the rifleman damage skill (buffed) and maybe even the engineer cooling.

Engineers would stay as they are, the middleground.