Gaben says Source 2 will be mod-friendly

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So gaben did an AMA and was awesome as usual. Source 2 came up.

We gon get modz.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

No fucking shit, why would valve not support mod all their platforms are based on user generated content.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm a a little suspicious.

There are services like green light that essentially limit the games that can exist on steam.

I expect that mods will be able to exist on source 2, but will they be on steam? How will valve decide which mods get to be on steam? Will a mod have to pass green light?

I'm not sure if we'll see a source mod renaissance. I think there are other ways for valve to let users create custom content. I could see steam thriving with content that doesn't have a lot of source mods.

Or they won't be free-standing source mods as we think. They will be more like free to play games. They will have some sort of business model that funds development. Is that still a mod?

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Clearly, I'll have to port Empires to Source 2 just to prove you wrong.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Skip Source2013 and lets directly go for Source 2!

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ok so someone doesn't know what they're even talking about. Again.

All content providers go through a process of green lighting, Valve didn't invent the term, it's a business process that providers do to see which products that have been proposed to them they can afford to provide and those which they can't at that time. The Steam greenlight is that process given to the users instead of the company valve, who used to do the greenlighting work, because the business ideal of Valve is that the gamers should choose what games they want to have on steam, not the provider's. So it doesn't limit anything, it's the exact same thing as before just now it's transparent and the users do it instead of the company workers.

I don't think you know what mod means. Mod is short for Modification. A modification could be from small addons that change the GUI of a program, to a completely different video game (which is called a total conversion, like Empires). The goldsrc engine, the engine which precedes Source, is a mod of the Quake 1 engine, Half-Life though isn't a mod it's a full game because it was built on that engine. Counter-Strike is a mod because it used Half-Life as a base to be created. No amount of money can change that title.

"Mod" isn't a buzzword, and although you seem to love throwing buzzwords everywhere, programmers don't use buzzwords, they use legitimate terms that can have no other meaning. Like bit, or widget.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Oh, that's great to see. Because, you know, Source isn't mod friendly at all.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

To make a point, they might do something like UDK, where you can freely do whatever with the tools and release your mods for free, just that if you make a decent profit the developers would take a chunk from your profits. To answer the "how will valve monetize this." question.

Like originally from what I could tell HL2 made some good sales from the fact you needed the base game to play mods, but now that they released tf2 and by extension the 2007/2013 base they aren't going to make any more money from mods. (Well not unless one of those mods require specific content from one of their games.) I wonder if source 2 will be free from the start or require the base game to work, or if they do something like the UDK.

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Good question, actually. It's too bad that we literally know nothing about Source 2 other than that it is going to be a thing.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We'll finish the port to Source2013 and Source 2 will come out and make us have to start all over again.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

IF you do start all over again, I won't mind waiting

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you make an account to only play F2P games like tf2, dota 2, and the others, you can't add friends or join groups (they can add you though), can't trade in-game items or sell them on the market unless you either purchase an in-game item or purchase a retail game, so they'll still be making money regardless. If someone get's attracted to a mod and uses tf2 to get it free, and they want more flexibility on their steam account, they'll eventually drop some dollars. Valve's philosophy in that regard is in attracting potential customers, even if one joined free, the service that Valve gives may want to make them make some monetary transaction.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Uhm, don't they get those privileges from buying any game? Not just a source game? I was talking about the sale of valve's games.