Future of the scout and what I think some people misunderstand.

Discussion in 'General' started by -Mayama-, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

yeah k thx great contribution

2. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

but i like my sniper rifle and my hide :(. h8ers die!

3. communism

communism poof

No, thank you.

honey.

4. De_Ghost

De_Ghost Member

have anyone ever though to just remove the scope? and decrease the power by like 15-20 points?
    it would take 3 body shot instead of 2 and less noobing
    cuz seriously the scope is useless
    it would probably promote more roflmen who can rain bullets which is like 100x more useful

5. Demented

Demented Member

Nerf it and people will whine it's too weak or useless.
    So long as it's available, people will try to use it, and if it doesn't meet their expectations they'll want it changed until it does.

That's the real problem. So long as it's available, it will cause trouble. It's kind of like ordering cabbage on your pizza. Maybe someone likes it, but it ruins the pizza for everyone else, it's not really that good of an idea to begin with, and you cannot make it better.

The moral of this story is, don't order cabbage on your pizza. Please, just don't do it.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Well the cabbage is now the last option on the menu, so problem solved.

7. Mr.Scout

Mr.Scout Member

The scope is fine, not hard to master, just tricky, beat the tricky and you can win games with scout sniper, and letting your team know you just busted their comm up who was all alone building turrets in some isolated area..Sometimes situations arent setup nicely for a headshot machine to be effective.But from my experience of only playing scout sniper for over a year now I can say it's awesome sauce and very effective if played right..Idk my newly pressed 2 cents on the thing right thur :)

8. ba'al

ba'al Member

Great... you headshoted the enemy commander half a map away... what then?.. you haven't accomplished anything...

9. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

Because people don't want it removed REGARDLESS of what "plans" have been made without, or against, their choice.

Another reasons is because people can join a empires server right now and go scout as long as they want, have fun, then think "hey they want to get rid of this fun weapon instead of making it more user friendly", and come back to forum to say it shouldn't be removed.

I think right now you should think of it like this. Their's only 4 servers running for this mod, and the sheer number of people complaining about scout rifle represents a major chunk of the community that still plays this game. It also indicates that given gigantic maps, sniping is a desired way to play as infantry.

Do you really want to kill this mod, because it's sick and dying right now.

Here i got an idea... allow ANY player to build structures fast. There a scout up front can make barracks and ref's and still be a scout that sneaks and kills far from home. Then all players are really engineers and the choice of class choosing is not between NON COMBATANT ENGINEER or INFANTRY WITH SPECIAL WEAPONS, MORTARS, RIFLES.

10. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

Ya that's a really dumb move by the mod maker if they want to say what people want, and take away (many months from now with the next version) what people grew attached to and enjoy, and completely ignore the way people actually play the game, and totally listen to the forum trolls that run in fear of a snipers bullets to the point of coming here to complain how the scout should be removed for ruining the mod. Lol @ the trolls.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  11. Empty

Empty Member

The sniper rifle annoys more players and ruins more games than it doesn't.

12. FocusedWolf

FocusedWolf Member

You are a fool.

He delayed the enemy team!!! (which just that alone could of won the game for his team!!!) and forced the enemies initiative to be solely on recovering their CV (because they can't conquer new terrain without a commander dropping buildings). And the sniper can further delay enemy recovery of their CV by killing them as they come. This will give his team an incredible edge because they can attack the enemy CV and/or conquer new terrain, conduct more research, and knock down more enemy structures.

The full extent of damage this type of sniper kill can do to the enemy team is unmeasurable and incredible.

Isn't 9-mining the com a common occurance? why aren't you saying how useless that is? It's the same thing!

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

haha...

14. Alceister

Alceister Member

Said situation occurs rarely. Experienced comms avoid getting out of their vehicle whenever they can and let the grunts do the work.

Now I'm going to say a few things. An experienced sniper can rack up kills like nothing else, like on crossroads. Once while on crossroads, I saw one guy basically do nothing but snipe. But he managed to rack up around 25 kills by game's end.

Sniping can be highly effective, because that one guy put a pretty big dent in their refinery-placing (we lost because the commander was an idiot -> A certain Private.Hawkins) and we pretty much managed to hold the east end until we got beaten back by heavies.

On the other hand though, most people simply aren't productive a lot of the time while sniping. They effectively lie on their belly the whole game and completely fail at hitting anything.

Plus there is the question of what exactly is the Scout supposed to accomplish. Are they supposed to be lying on their belly shooting at people from really far away? As far as infantry go, Empires has some amount of work to do on them.

Also, don't call him a fool. That makes you a clown.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you're going to post that we're fools to do what we want with the mod WE'RE making, then don't bother.

16. Disposable_Hero

Disposable_Hero Member

When inside the radar or perhaps next to the comm-vehicle, the scout should be able to listen to the enemy team's text and voice chat.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I pity the fool that tries to make empiresmod as unique and well structured in gameplay and design that is practically possible with the resources it has...

[​IMG]

^^

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh man I bet he can crack a walnut with that frown

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

Then you have people running around who can build structures to rearm, heal, and defend themselves in addition to having an incredibly powerful rifle or other weapon. Fucking brilliant.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well a class system is not ultimately neccesary for team play.

You could if you wanted to, remove classes, and have it so players can't use all their abilities at once.

If they want to heal, they have to stop shooting, and need other people to cover them, the same goes for building, if they want to use an AT weapon, they have to stop using their infantry weapon.

Make it take time to switch between roles, and you've got a system that benefits from players being in large groups performing different roles, but doesn't require classes.

I doubt you want that but I wouldn't dismiss it as impossible.