Free Map Hosting

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Qwerty, May 29, 2006.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Hello, I'm also the same Qwerty from the Sven Co-op Forums, here broadening my original donation of what is known as the "VHE FTP" (http://www.hlrse.net/vhe). I'm donating free webspace to Empires Mod, and Empires Mod only. This will be nicknamed the "EmpiresVHE FTP," and its root at http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe.

Announcements:
    Of August 5th, 2007, the FTP password has been changed to roxrox.

FTP Software Listing (Required to Connect):
    WS_FTP Lite/LE/Pro
    SmartFTP
    BulletProofFTP
    FlashFXP
    FireFox FireFTP Extension (a Built-In FireFox FTP Client)
    FileZilla

FTP Details:
    Host: hlrse.net
    Username/Login: empiresvhe (or try empiresvhe@hlrse.net)
    Password: roxrox
    Port: 21

Instructions:
    Simple. Just hit connect and you should be in. Once you connect, make a folder based upon the name of your Empires Mod Forums (enouresnid.com/forums) username. So if your Username is Qwerty, you create a folder called Qwerty. If your username is l3e7hax0r, then create a folder called l3e7hax0r. This is your username:
    [​IMG]

You will upload your maps to your own folder. So for myself, I upload emp_testmap.zip (my Empires map) into my Qwerty folder. The URL (Address or Link) to that file would be http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/Qwerty/emp_testmap.zip. :D

Your folder will be monitored, so you may only upload the following files in these extensions:
    *.zip, *.rar, *.jpg, *jpeg, *.png, *.gif, *.txt

If any file extension beside these are uploaded, they will be deleted immidiately; and you will be warned through a PM on these forums. You may only upload YOUR Mapping Related stuff, as in: Map Source, Release of your Map, Screenshots of your Map, etc.
    Map Source = Like the *.rmf or *.map file or whatever the Source extension is for your map in a ZIP or RAR file, so people can view the 'source code' of your map.
    Release of your Map = Compiled version of your map in a ZIP or RAR file, ready to be downloaded and played by people.

You may contain three *.txt files, each no bigger than 1MB. They can contain descriptions of your maps, and the location to the screenshot that belongs with it. I would suggest having one TXT file with all the descriptions in it if you want. Having a *.TXT file is OPTIONAL.

Use your common sense and don't fiddle around with anybody's portfolio/folder other than yours. You cannot touch or play with .htaccess or .ftpquota files. If caught that this service is being fiddled around with, it will be terminated. Use your brains, ok? :cool:

An additional rule - you may not upload anybody's work to your own account's folder. You must upload it to the authors. For example, if BillyBob32 made the map emp_meadow and gave it to Shadow_Lurker to upload, Shadow_Lurker must upload it into a folder /BillyBob32/ - NOT /Shadow_Lurker/. The reason for that is to keep an accurate, formal, and organized record of portfolios. If you start your own folder (or portfolio), you can only put your work in there. Another example is my portfolio at http://www.hlrse.net/vhe/Qwerty/ - everything in there is 100% mine. Any custom models you see there are not mine, but I display my mapping work there. That's the secondary purpose. :)

I do not care if you leech or direct download. Go ahead and eat my bandwidth.

You may not upload anything else not related to the above paragraphs, they will be terminated immidiately. Please do not ruin this offer, consider it as a once in a lifetime offer. Don't break the rules, and this offer will be fine. Enjoy it. Thanks.

Regards,
    Qwerty

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. Jimather

Jimather Member

ok You Ungrateful Bastards I Want To See A Big Round Of Applause For This Very Generous Guy ^^^^^^^^

3. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

Yah, round of applause, it's not easy to find free webspace like this! =P Thanks buddy!

4. Edgar

Edgar Member

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Thanks for the mucho contribution man! And Edgar thanks for the link as well.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I'm personally using Edgar's service, but Qwerty's is very appreciated all the same :) gj

7. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Yeah, nice work there qwerty :)

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Would it be possible to get this thread pinned/stickied in this Forum?

9. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

Done. Thanks again for your generous contribution! >;D

10. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Sven coop rox.

I just wanted to say that I will have a map for you to host within the next couple of days Qwerty.

Thanks for helping out!

11. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I just uploaded emp_cyclopean to your FTP, Qwerty. Feel free to check out this release! I also posted a thread on it over at STORMED.DE to see if they might host it so I can test it with more than 3 people.

Thanks again!

12. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  13. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

This thread should really be used to ask technical support related questions. ;) It has come to my attention that it is rather a little ironic to find that these forums are missing a forum that is dedicated to releases of any sort for Empires mod. ;o I see your point of view, halbalbador.

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

K, I'm using FireFTP for firefox, i'm logged in, and i can see a bunch of folders, stuff like hellion, qwerty, that kind of thing. How do i access those folders? I get dropped from servers when I don't have the new maps, so I must assume that a lot of people have used this service, help me out. I double click on the names and nothing is happening.

edit: Okay, I've figured out how to download stuff, and it's all going smoothly. I don't see gauntlet on there, that means I'm in trouble. I don't know where else to get it. I've played it once, then I couldn't join games again because i didn't have the right version. I'm guessing this no longer is applicable in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  15. Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz)

Cyber(Gunner_Yeyz) Member

Since I suck at FTP can someone please take my Emp_MazeV1-1 and host it? Sorry but I am bad with FTPs.

16. katana9000

katana9000 Member

17. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Bleh, I should watch this thread more often. I've placed this into my Opera Shortcut bar. Anyone need help?

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

yay all the old people are coming back!

19. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Its the insane 1.08 hype. I've been going crazy because Angry, RPG, and few others were testing it out today. I can't wait.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

too bad it was just a april fools joke, I fell for it, thinking I was actualyl downloading empiresmod, I bet surprise buttsechs feels like this.