"Free" Jeeps

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wertbarg, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Jeeps do not count against max vehicle limit, but in order to compensate, they explode after being empty for 20 seconds.

(they still cost resources, they are not actually free)

Pros:
    -Deployment from main base is much easier for infantry.
    -Jeep armies.

Cons:
    -Jeep armies.
    -Potential server lag due to jeep limits being unlimited.

2. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

i Can see the horror already

(OMG!!! JEEP RUSH!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVEZZZ!!!!! AHHHHH(getting gunned down by all the jeeps) JESUS CHRIST RUNNNN!!!!! (BOOOMMMM) Sound of Comm getting Fed up.)

Thats what this would do.

I love hit-and-run tactics, but jeep armies.....scary

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Honestly, while I love the idea of free jeeps, my problem is that I believe a big part of the reason for the vehicle limit is because vehicles put extra strain on the server, and that includes jeeps. So having certain jeeps not count against the vehicle limit is potentially dangerous.

(If I'm wrong about that, I suggest having all jeeps not count against the vehicle limit -- have them count against some separate 'jeep limit' instead, to prevent absurd spam.)

4. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

yeah, I envisioned the exact same things as you guys, but if there was a way to have them have their own separate limit, that would be best.

5. o_O

o_O Member

Then people would build jeeps when the tank limit is at max. Either there would be horrible lag or the tank limit was too low in the first place. Sometimes the server lag starts even before max tanks, max tanks + 4 jeeps would just be awful. If jeeps could be fixed to not lag then sure.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

This defeats the purpose of the vehicle limit which is to cap the number of vehicles because the server can't handle more (without serious lag).

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Maybe just make jeeps explode over time. I usual leave enemy jeeps I find alive for this reason

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Only if the jeeps explode 20 seconds after being made whether people are in it or not.

9. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

As hilarious as that would be to see, it would be pointless. I would like to see jeeps randomly blow up though. LOL.

10. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

It doesn't sound that bad but the time before deterioration would need to be a bit shorter to prevent idiots spamming them, and also if no limit jeeps were enacted I'd hate not being able to one hit the damn things. I also thought we could just make the jeep limit on each soldier one so they can't be just spammed and parked.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  11. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Perhaps a personal construction "Cool down" time of perhaps one minute could be applied to all players, so they cannot make a vehicle more than once each minute. This could also only apply to jeeps, in case the VF gets mined and you can't make a replacement.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

maybe make jeeps spawn at solid time intervals next to the barracks and make them not build able at the vf

something like... 1 jeep at each long side of the barracks every 2 minutes with a max jeeps per team at one time of 6

jeeps would not count for vehicle limit

would fix "ammo begging at rax" for a good part aswell

maybe commanders could "upgrade" the barracks with something so the jeep spawning is enabled?

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Again, that's an excellent idea, but the problem with it is that the vehicle limit serves a technical purpose, not a gameplay one -- some servers just can't handle more than X vehicles without lagging, and despite their weakness jeeps use as much of the server's resources as any other vehicle. So having them not count against the vehicle limit (or even have a reduced value against the vehicle limit) is unfortunately not possible.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in my suggestion, the amount of jeeps would be limited to 6,

i took them out of the vehicle limit because there is no need to add them in the vehicle limit, and 6 vehicles lost as jeeps is bad for any team

15. o_O

o_O Member

6 jeeps costs ~6 tanks worth of server thinking power (probly a bit less, due to no turret or guns). Adding a separate 6 jeep limit means reducing the tank limit by ~6, or else massive server lag.

Convince servers to not use any CPU cycle's on jeeps and we will all back unlimited jeeps. Its a code/hardware/optimization/source issue.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

1 jeep =/= 1 NF commander on server load

also since the chance that all 6 jeeps would spawn in the same location is nihil (place all barracks in the same sector does not happen often)

additionally, vehicle server load is decreased in the SVN by quite an amount as i have learned from testing my server with the svn