forced engineer

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, May 25, 2006.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what if EVRYONE spauned as an engineer at gamestart and the comm can enable/disable the forced engineer?

when i last played the server started a new round 15 vs 15 and of our team i was the only engineer

but to top it

i was comm to!

why not make evry player engineer at start until he gets 10 points then other classes get available

or evry player engineer at start
    then when comm thinks the time is right, they make other classes available for all players or maybe for each player seperate?

as some kind of reward?

so starting bases do get built!

2. turen

turen Member

yo dude... i spose that would be an interesting idea... sept i can think of several ways people could abuse it...

It only takes 1 n00b comm to lose a game

3. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Anyone can build, the engineer just does it faster. Forcing people = not fun.

4. Jn.

Jn. Member

I agree with l3tuc3. If people are forced to play a game a certain way, they won't play it anymore. If there are players who don't know what to prioritize at the start of a map, well that team deserves to lose :)

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

If people are smart they will start out as an engineer anyways. I amost always start out as an engineer to get some easy points.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the idea someone had in some thread on one of the old boards, just put enginer at the top of the class list in the change class screen; that way the noobs go engi, not whatever is up there and anyone who has played enough to learn how to change classes can still choose other classes.

7. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

I go with l3tuc3.
    Noone should be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. There is no fun then...

8. Ermm ok!

Ermm ok! Member

i think it would be good if there was a comm command to request a player to change class.

9. FLH

FLH Member

That would just get spammed, best to stick to text or voice ( minus the racist brit bashing though ) and be polite eh....

Starting out with the 1st spawn of the game as eng would be wortha fair bit though....

10. zachtos

zachtos Member

taking strategy out of an real time STRATEGY is bad.

11. TheGreatHegemon

TheGreatHegemon Member

I would just commit suicide instantly if i spawned as an engineer - i refuse to play an engi at all.

12. Chahk

Chahk Member

A good commander should have a microphone. Then this issue simply disappears, as it's much easier and less intrusive to ask your teammates to switch to whatever class you think you need at the time.

You can also give "guard" orders. Even the newest of the n00bs will probably realize that when commander tells them to guard an unbuilt refinery, he probably means for them to change to Engineer first.

Well, maybe not the newest of the n00bs. Perhaps for them we'd need a new type of order. The right-click is defaulted to "Attack" for enemy units, "Guard" for friendly ones and "Move" for no selection. And then there is the "Abort" order which I've never had to use as a comm, and only had it spammed on me once. How about another button, "Build" that will give voice prompt "Build this structure!" or something similar.

13. zachtos

zachtos Member

I agree alot of this can be solved by good commanding/communication in conjucnction with noobs reading the book.

I'm hoping a training map will be released w/ the final version.

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

sometimes i feel forced to be an engineer, does that count? sometimes its a handy class to be, if you want to use turrets etc and build/repair like a good little person, but its much more interesting in general to get to be a grenadier and play with the tanks (i find), tho they can generally retreat quickly enough to stop me rocketing them to death :(

whats that about brit bashing anyway? the only negative bit i've heard over the mic is 'omg is everyone american?' etc. good commanding takes talking to people, which is one of the reasons i utterly suck as commander

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what if you ALWAYS spaun as an engineer and can change it once spauned when you are in an armory? (so not even when you are dead)

this way more ppl will play as engineer and the other classes get available when the comm builds an armory

i think this is the best way!

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

they can also change in the baracks.

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

instead of force people, tell them that what they are doing is only decaying their mental capacity further.

Like I said so many times before, Empires has enough stupid people. Too bad they aren't emo too because then the problem would solve itself.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

... crap in a bag

that is so "not" helping anyone

19. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

3 words "Vote kick commander"

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

my god, the commander is always first to be blamed!

but mostly the team behind the commander decides the game

as long as your team is good, you dont have to be a very good commander to win the game!

a bad commander is not as bad as a bad team!