Fix the stupid targeting system

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Sep 26, 2010.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Everyone now has an engy camera and radar bolted to their head minus the attack diamonds.

Some of the things you broke:
    • Every aspect of stealth
    • Rushes
    • Scouts being marginally useful
    • Knowing where the fuck that guy behind the rock is
    • Commanders having to do something besides research and build
    How the idea ever made enough sense on paper that you guys implemented it, I really don't know, but now that we've tested it and realize it's terrible, at least have the common sense to revert it to the system we've used for the past three years...

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

mootant basically just did it because he wanted tbh

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

This is the first time I actually liked anything that came off the keyboard of recon.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I havn't tried 2.26 because I don't want to rage at empires for all the crap that everyone else is raging for. lol

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

oh noes, mootant removed mandatory wall hacks :(

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

this is exactly what he didnt do

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

nearly Every game i've played where one commander gave targets and another did not, the team with targets won.

Targets were an amount of stupid that many people still have not realized. Wall hacks never added anything to the game. It didn't give the com something to do. Maybe leting the commander highlight enemy units on his own screen and having to communicate their location to players might work. I think the minimap is fine though.

Commander targets did not add anything to gameplay.

8. n00bzor

n00bzor Member

^^

I disagree It was part of the gameplay..

I commanded this morning. It was boring. If a jeep got past out line i could easily see it and where he was hiding. It made it boring for me. THe task of giving targets and building research ect ect was exciting. It was a little dud when i was researching i had nothing to do.

The next map i played. Well you couldnt do the sly behind the enemy team as there you are on the radar like an idiot trying to sneak behind them.

I perosnally think it has tkaen away from the gameplay. I ended up rage quiting. it doesnt feel the same.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I duno what the wall hacks were meant for originally but, they basicaly became a band aid fix for people who had no idea what strategy was. If you were incapable of figuring out what the enemy was thinking you died. You learned from your experience(sometimes) and kept plugging on. With the wall hacks its just... wait till they come out from behind what ever it is and shoot.

10. n00bzor

n00bzor Member

No the commander cant give specific targets he needs dealt with.

No one listens to the commander.

The mini map is flooded with red and blue. Its really taken away from the game and its a shame.

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

solution: remove comm mass targets

12. Fishstick

Fishstick Member

They did. Now we have a buggy minimap.

I can't count how many times I've looked at the map and started to run back to destroy the ninja rax near our main just to realize it was our own armory. :/

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The minimap has had random glitches since 2.2 at least.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mass targets was the real problem. I'm sure a single target should come back in, but either way you can still paint a target on the ground in the general vicinity.

That's not an issue. That always happened depending on the team and the commander. Most people listen to me tbh, targets never influenced that at all.

Yeah, that needs to be fixed. I'm pretty sure most of the community think it's a bit OTT. Camera's should reveal, sure, and radars etc...but everyone revealed is NOT the main goal, because it still means tactics are reduced.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Exactly.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

As much as in RTS you can see all your enemies' units on the minimap, this is a different game where the people on ground are actual people, and hiding tactics are the only thing that can save their hide, not to mention flanking opportunites that are impossible with super wallhax.

17. n00bzor

n00bzor Member

If they brought targets in, maybe it was only in the vicinity of the slected infintry..

So when the "bad guys" leave the area the targets are no loner selected...

Either way the minimap has changed game play alot.. Its more rush this rush that no more sit back and tactics..

18. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

before that. but you never noticed because everything was squares before 2.22. It's due to network optimization, and probably not going to change.

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I just didn't want to rewrite minimap from scratch just to do that. I ended up with something that doesn't work well.

20. Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan

Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan Member

Continuing this discussion from at least the 3 other threads trying to fix the new targeting system, there is a better solution than mass targets. In addition to the million-and-two other suggestions, another could be a limited number of targets that the commander can assign, whether it be an absolute number (say, some derivative of the number of players on your team) or a number of targets per player (5 red diamonds, just to pull a number off the top of my head). The latter would effectively make smaller games much like the last version of Empires, which is what some people seem to want, while larger games would have an element of randomness to it. If the com spams targets, sure they might know you're there, but every sweep offers the chance that you might lose the diamond and be able to sneak away. That element of chance might be just the kick the FPS players need.