Fix Canyon, ermahgerd

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PreDominance, Jan 11, 2013.

1. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

if im not the first, then why is it a problem now? :P.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Because you're the only one willing to be enough of a douche to actually do it.

3. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

There is no problem if BE keeps the choke point on the east. BE only is in trouble if they lose the choke. The hill only gets mortared if BE loses the choke. They better make damn sure they dont lose it.

The only refinery that is a problem is the one i draw an arrow with. that is the only ref that is "unfair". as NF I can open fire from NF territory at begining and kill the ref. Sometimes I get speed upgrade as gren and I'd blow up the ref before engines can build it.

Again, I dont see a problem with the hill... unless BE sucks badly, then gg.

The refinery in middle is fair. Either side can return fire.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I never thought I'd say this, but Alucard actually has a fair point. Both middle refs can be hit by both BE and NF. And to be honest, if BE are getting hit on the hill, then they don't own that chokepoint. In that case, NF do, so BE can shell that ref in the East passage. If BE do own the chokepoint then that hill won't be getting hit.

It might be faggy but I'm not actually seeing much of an imbalance with regard to refinery placement, though there are other imbalances in Canyon.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The best way for canyon to be 'Fixed' with this particular issue is to create a gorge like terrain instead of this hill being cut into. The slopes should go way up, like a rockey creek bed in the mountains imo.

[​IMG]

Image from The Last Remnant for 360

That cliff with a river cutting through it is sorta how I imagined most of these basin type maps like canyon. Adding most of the clips as 3d skybox with some brushes to block mortars would be interesting.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'm just arguing against the entire feeling behind it. In order to shell the ref, you have to sit in one spot for awhile just left-clicking. To defend the ref, you have to stand in one spot, as an engineer, just left-clicking. It doesn't create strategy, it's a play that necessitates counter-play where both are fundamentally boring and a pain in the ass.

7. Trickster

Same goes for artillery. My point is, it's not really a map issue so much as a game issue.

8. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

my only suggestion is move the eastern choke point ref. thats really the only change needed (besides non-ref balance issues).

problem is if u move the refinery, it causes imbalance due to distance from start base. this would mean moving oen of the NF refs to match the change in ref position for BE.

honestly.. id be more worried about slaughter :).....

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's a respectable critique of a shitty "strategy." I remember reading that TF2's Medic has a medigun so the player can effortlessly heal a teammate and worry about other stuff like dodging or spotting enemies for the heal-ee. I don't know how that applies to this problem, but I'm always impressed at how TF2 has so many elegant solutions to multiplayer problems.

10. YouzY

YouzY Member

You have honed your skills really nicely. I am proud of you, my apprentice

11. Trickster

Fuck's sake YouzY.

12. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i can think of a few maps where NF has an adavntage because of map and mortars.

but for the most part, these advantages only exist of BE sucks in the first place.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So true. NF is so much better. We should just remove BE from the game completely to save it the shame of losing to NF all the time.

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I meant that these advantages appear if the BE team sucks and they lose certain areas which allow this to happen.