Few suggestions.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BitterJesus, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

You've probably seen these before, but I'm going to say them anyway:

On money, sometimes, at the very beginning of the game, a commander decides for an APC rush towards the enemy base, and it is quite hard to build barracks as it is constantly under attack. What experienced commanders do, is place 2 barracks, one in the front that blocks the shots incoming and one to actually serve the proper purpose (server as barracks). Even if the front barracks go down (as they are taking shots), it will take a considerable amount of time before they full disappear (the darkened remainders). It takes somewhere between 10-30 seconds to disappear, which is very valuable time when you are trying to prevent an enemy team to kill spawn into your base and rape you into oblivion.

Suggestion: After a building is destroyed, and the dark physical shape is remaining, make the "disintegrate" time much lower, so it is possible to shoot the targets behind the destroyed building.

Engineers: get rid of cameras

It is unfair how engineers are able to do so much against pretty much anything.

They can find infantry effectively, they can bring down buildings in a flash, and they can fight off vehicles with ML turrets. I know that some of this is going to be fixed in 2.2, but I propose that scouts should have an ability to plant cameras just like "ammo". Ex: if you are a scout, in your 5th weapon slot you will find a portable camera, just like a sticky nade, once you throw it on the ground it will deploy itself. You may only have 1 camera stable at a time (just like you can only have 8mines at a time) and after 40 rank points, you are able to plant 2 cameras.

All I ever play after I get 40 points is the engineer class. It is simply useless to play as anything else (other than maybe grenadier with defuse) once you are late in the game. You can revive your teammates, heal them, repair your tank, build buildings efficiently, give yourself/your vehicle some ammo, plant 2 lvl3s anywhere you want them.

There needs to be some better perks for other classes

Scouts:
    Cooling Master - all negative effects from plasma mg, cannon and sticky stun nades are reduced or ignored
    Hijack - (yes I know that other servers have this) give scout an OFFICIAL ability to enter enemy vehicles as long as there's nobody inside of them. And give a 3-5 second hijack time

Grenadiers:
    Vehicle Detection - works just like the scout's infantry detection, only for vehicles

As well as squad powers:

Engineers:

Refill Squad Power - if engineer, repair bar fully filled, and full ammo on current weapon, if everyone else, full ammo on current weapon (should cost 1 or 2 points)

Grenadiers:

Massive Defuse Squad Power - all the mines with in the small distance of the squad leader are automatically defused

Scouts:

Distant Sabotage - the structure that is pointed at while using the squad powerup will immediately be sabotaged (this should take up a lot of squad points)

Riflemen:

Iron Will - during the activity of the powerup, everyone in the squad will have: Health upgrade, accuracy upgrade, melee upgrade, and all other upgrades in the General category.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Its actually better if you make each suggestion (or group of suggestions if they are similar) a separate thread. It keeps the discussion focused and increases the chances people will read your thread.

3. communism

communism poof

Hijack is a horrible plugin and it WONT be added that has already been stated

4. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

vehicle hijacking = awesome

vehicle hijacking plugin = not awesome

5. Wilson

Wilson Member

When it comes to your first suggestion, about buildings, I've heard somewhere that in 2.2 it wont be as easy to quickly put up a forward rax within mere seconds.

I agree that engineers are a bit to powerful at the moment(note my "remove engi mg turret" thread), but i dont think removing the camera is acctually going to change anything except for making engineers less useful in teamwork.

Giving scouts cameras: Well, since they should be used for spotting enemies and sending info back to their teams about enemy movement and such (that would be the original "scout" idea) i think they should have something more reliable than the current binoculars.
    Personally if think the should be more ways of detecting stuff than the current commander attackorders (which feels a bit like abusing), the engineers camera/radar and the spotting ability.
    Maybe give the scout a building radar? Detects only buildings, deploys instantly, and helps out grenadiers and artillery.

Squad powers: Current squad powers are fine imo, and i cant really see what this would improve/balance, except for adding more varity to the game.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Moving cameras to scouts has been discussed at length in other threads.

Vehicle hijacking has been discussed at length and is a terrible idea. Seriously, do you really want the game to end because one idiot on your team abandoned a heavy, one enemy scout stole it, and they drove right up to your comm and killed it before anyone realized there was an enemy driving the apparently-friendly tank?

Even if you have tanks magically change appearance when hijacked, it's still a terrible idea. A big heavy can cost 600 res. Having those 600 res essentially transferred to the enemy team because of one hijack is an absolutely terrible suggestion; hijacking would, after all, mostly be random (you can't force people out of vehicles, so it would just be random chance if a scout happens to come across an abandoned / empty one.)

What would it add to the game? What problems is vehicle hijacking supposed to solve? How would it improve anything? Etc, etc. For a suggestion like that (one with major issues), you need to give equally good reasons why it should be added to the game, and I don't think anyone has beyond the fact that it's OMG COOL.

Regarding the squad powers -- which ones are you suggesting we replace? Or do you think that every class should have three or more squad powers, even though most of the existing ones don't get used already?

And fiddling with the engineer too much is dangerous. They will always be, by design, an essential class, and you never want to put people in a position where they'll say "Fine, I'll be the engineer, even though I hate how it plays now." That isn't fun. The engineer has to be useful and fun to play at almost every point in the game, because it's necessary at every point in the game, and we don't want to force people to play a class they don't enjoy. It's all right for scouts, riflemen, or grenadiers to be useless under some circumstances, because people can just pick other classes; it is not acceptable for the engineer to have the same issues.

(That doesn't mean it couldn't stand to be tweaked a bit, especially with regards to the speed at which it can throw up / nadespam down raxes. But that's already being dealt with.)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  7. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I like all of these ideas, except for the scout's distance sabotage. Commie that hurts. and why does everyone keep saying hijack is on other servers. It should only be on nachos. If it isnt it's been leaked and i want names...

8. Gnar

Gnar Member

engines, and grens are in fine shape. its just the scouts and riflemen. scouts have snipers. riflemen have... nothing. if u gave the stciky nade to another class, rifleman would never ever be played. that needs to be the front line solider defending engines and always one in a sqaud. It would make it more fun and encourage discovery more of the class (whatever that means)

I know 2.2 is suppose to be the motherload of all fixes and apparently the savior of all our problems. but as long as there is a suggestion thread, things are going to be suggested +P even stupid things.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Uhm, I dont agree.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Riflemen have been given a range boost, while other classes have been limited to close-medium combat. A rifleman with a long range rifle really will save your ass now.

11. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

honestly, I don't understand the hype about infantry vs infantry and infantry vs tanks combat - seriously, tanks are the best, and with the removal of 9mine (one of the few ways infantry can reliably take out tanks without having 6+ grenadiers shoot at a tank - no, stickies are not reliable), all powerful on the battlefield (unless your team is retarded)

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The next versions of Empires will address these issues, don't worry.

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

hopefully infantry become more powerful, and not have the tanks become metal boxes that are completely useless - you know, like artillery tanks. NF mediums, jeeps, and the scout

14. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Unban me from your server dammit :(

15. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

If i am corrct didnt you register on our forums? post a ban appeal!