*facepalm :pathetic:

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by angry hillbilly, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'd say science is a religion, but one higher than others, in the way that you actually know what's true, instead of believing in an all powerful being we've never seen.

2. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

What pisses me off about certain religious types is when you read a letter in a magazine saying something like: "As a <Christian/Muslim/whatever>, I found your article about <subject x> offensive. Don't print this kind of thing again."

I mean, excuse me? Ever stop to think that maybe a lot of us find your attitude offensive? Where the hell do I write my complaint letter? You don't like what you read? Fine, don't read the magazine/newspaper again. But you can't tell the rest of us what we can or cannot read or discuss. It's the arrogance and self righteousness of some of these people that really gets me.

Most Christians and Muslims I know are cool, they don't generally mention their religion unless they are asked, and they don't shove it down your throat. There are just some people out there that need to learn they share a planet with several billion other people with their own views of the world and they can't tell them what to think and believe.

3. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Well like i said in another post, reigions are ment to control what u think. God is said to know everything about you (what u think, do...etc) and thats whats ment to be the fear factor. As a part of my GCSE's were doing poems and in one of the pre-1914 poems its about a catholic who has lost his son. And the catholic wrote the poem and says in it that he thinks HE killed his son because he took pride in him more than mr G. Does this sound questions answered. I mean look at the old 7 deadly sins, how much more controling can you get:

Pride
    Envy
    Gluttony
    Lust
    Anger
    Greed
    Sloth

I read them on BBC news and went *facepalm :pathetic:

*Edit: So just remember kids, when ur having a wank, just keep in mind that god is watching. :p lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The 7 sins have little to do with actual "The Man" control, seperated from everything they teach you very valid points:

Pride - you become arrogant, ignoring other people's views this will lead to your downfall; so your "Hubris"

Envy - You think what you have is never enough; you look at other people and desire what is theirs. Look at the celebirty cults we have today...

Gluttony - over induljunce; look at how obese the western population is; food has become an escape for many, genetics or diseases are in no way related to this; if anything obesity is generating new diseases...

Lust - Desire for another will make you do some stupid things...

Anger - Well this one combined with pride and envy caused some pretty bad things...

Greed - Enter capitalism, people will do some pretty bad things for extra cash...

Sloth - Being lazy to do anything, so you are basicly all bark and no bite...

If anything those set an important moral framework to which you should adhere as a human being; not because of some man in the sky, but because you know what those things are warning you about are real dangers, that will mess you up moraly. It is not about control. Control is exhibited once enough people believe a visible framework; and are sent to kill others for some pathetic reason, enter the crusades are jihad; that is control, not the actual belief...

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I can almost hear the Russian accent :P

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But isn't science about beliving? Beliving something, then to test if it's true.

But there we got what differs Science from other ''religions''. You find out if it's correct.

7. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Thats why I like science becaue every day it is challanged without a problem ^^

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The average person doesn't even know why shit turns on when they plug something into the outlet; and why it is an alternating current. In reality only a select few ever contribute anything towards the "Challenged" part the rest of the people will happily sit on their bums accepting what they are told. Slight diffrence if you ask me if you blindly believe in either...

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

People only believe what they hear because it makes sense, and it can be shown.

With the exception of nuclear physics and cosmology which is mostly theoretical, and it might as well be the primitive stages of forming a religion right there.

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Unfortunately the name scientology is already taken.

anyhow, religion mostly gives people the impression that there are consequences for their actions. if you had no consequences, there would be no morals. People also fear death. So if a religion gets people to behave on the promise that they will not simply disappear after they die, then I'm all for it.

There are multiple reasons for religion, whether it be to help with solitude, ie make you think that there is in fact someone who wishes you well in the world, or giving people a reason not to wage war, murder, steal, etc. I think religion has been perverted into something that it was intended to stop. Instead of preventing wars, it is now starting them. I think religion needs to end as it is, and be reformed to what it should be.