FA2 drama and a hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cpugeek, Jun 30, 2006.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I don't know if you guys have read up on the fighting between some of the old members of the firearms mod team and the new fan-based team of the sequel.

Basically, a little more than a year ago, the old team decided that they were not doing a sequel on source and that there would never be a sequel unless they wanted to make it. So, some fans decided that they wanted to step in and work on the sequel. Well, the old team didn't like that idea and refused to let them use the name. Despite this, the fans went on ahead and started developing it. After a lot more arguing, some of these fans hijacked the official fire arms site as a form of protest and praise for the new mod. This all happened a year ago and its still currently in development.

Heres a link to what happened according to some of the old team members: http://www.firearmsmod.com/

Heres a link to a pro-fa2 fan response: http://forums.firearms2mod.com/showthread.php?t=1734

So my question to all of you is, if Empires suddenly got shut down by the devs, how much trouble would you go through to make a fan sequel or continuation?

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Over my dead body.

3. Jn.

Jn. Member

Dev got shut down by Empires.

I don't think we have to worry about Krenzo. He's dedicated and likes what he does :D

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I don't think even if something happens to Krenzo and empires dies (Not that it will ever happen :D) I think this comminuty could carry it along in the dev process, the community maybe small but its quite dedicated

5. Jn.

Jn. Member

Amen.

6. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

CPugeek! Why must you stur the troubled soul in all of us!? This is blasphemy! And yes, I think the community would at least still have servers running and we would at least fix glitches... I just hope that if it did die, it would die AFTER airplanes :)

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Which reminds me of how Paroxysm died, just before I got into the team. :( Krenzo hear me: MAKE GODDAMN BACKUPS OF THE GODDAMN CODE AND MAKE THEM WELL AND PLENTY!

To those who don't know what happened to this HL1 mod: Some of the main team stepped down and coding job got transfered to a fellow named Lagrange. A couple of patches were released and everything was going well. Then the disaster struck. Lagrange had HD crash, big time. No backups. The previous coder/leader Polymorph didn't have the code anymore either. Everything came crumbling down just when the Mod was about to pop into exsistence with a massive community made map pack(my dear childe included)...

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I make a DVD backup of all assets of Empires every release (wanna play Empires V0.3?), and the code is mirrored to a Subversion database on a private server with updates to the code every few days.

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Pretty shitty to just steal someone's idea and use it as your own.

They should just do as the supreme commander devs are doing.

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

There are a couple of 3d artists around the comminty... Maybe some programmers... so I think if things really go bad, some of us can find the spare time to work for empires

11. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I wondered what happened to them... Why didn't they have someone reconstruct the HD?

-Sheepe

12. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

What are the Supreme Commander devs doing? :confused:

Good to hear that Krenzo. :) I can rest well tonight.

Sheepe: I don't know. Everything just collapsed. Forums went down, etc. :) KingNic(haven't seen him for quite a while. Last I heard was that he went into Unreal mapping), ReNo(he got a job in the gaming industry last april), CampaignJunkie, CrackerJack(haven't seen him for a while either), BlisTer... Well almost all of us mapping people involved are at Snarkpit nowadays.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  13. ^Dee^

The people who made total annihilation are making supreme commander but since they don't have the rights to use the TA name, they're dubbing it the "spiritual successor" of TA.

14. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

That game is going to rule all. Hands down.

15. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I thought I saw some pretty heavy similarities with TA in the trailer. :p Damn I loved Total Annihinlation back in the day. Do you know any ETA for Supreme Commander?

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

17. ^Dee^

They even have a few weapon sounds taken straight from TA in some of the videos :)

And yea, TA was awesome and way ahead of it's time. Even ahead of today's standards in RTS imo :)

18. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I heart TA, its so amazing... 3d terrain and all that... I'm also going to buy a new computer for it... and its blue.... hehehehe

-Sheepe

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

TA > Starcraft

20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

TA Fans might be intrested in this: Spring