explodable ammo crates.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by pixelized, Jul 11, 2009.

1. pixelized

pixelized Member

Grenades, rpgs, and mortar shots, tank shells should cause enemy ammo crates to explode damaging nearby players and vehicles.

Also the ammo crate should be reusable and have a health bar when the bar runs out the ammo crate is empty and has to be picked up. The crate slowly refills when when not deployed.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I like

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Remote explode without hurting teammates, ofc.

4. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I can see this being used as a form of griefing, how about they just can only be hurt by explosives, or removed with sabotage without exploding?

though as interesting as making the ammo crate have to be picked up to be reused, I predict that it will only result in a lot of littering with only a few engineers who want to keep the battlefield clean.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It's the kind of suggestion that sounds ZOMG COOL, but that I'm not sure would actually help the game.

What are you trying to accomplish with it? Do you want to keep people from dropping crates on the frontlines or using them for cover, say? I'm not sure that's a problem (engineers have walls anyway, and if anything, they should be encouraged to drop ammo up on the frontlines.)

I definitely don't like the idea of it being useful as a weapon. Engineers don't need a weapon like that.

Forcing people to pick their crate back up also strikes me as a bad idea. It encourages engineers to only use their crates for themselves, in places where they intend to spend a while, rather than dropping it for teammates. Not what we should be trying to do at all.

6. zenarion

zenarion Member

Crates aren't meant to be cover.
    OP has a good idea.
    Fund it and implement it.
    Shadow, what the hell? Yet an other rage-inducing weapon for the Engi?

7. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

But it doesn't make a difference whether they're cover or not, since engineers can just drop walls anyway. It's totally irrelevant to gameplay.

A much more important question is whether this encourages engineers to drop crates in places that are useful to their teammates or not... and the answer is obviously no. In fact, it means that an engineer could easily screw over their teammates by placing a crate in a bad place.

It seems ZOMG AWESOME, but its actual gameplay effects would all be bad.

And if you don't want crates to not act as cover, just make it so bullets go through them. Easy.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If it hurts the enemy team too its like a det pack.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I like the idea for many reasons.. I think that grenade spam will finally calm down a bit. You will be able to kill it so you can place a ref or forward rax with out having to wait for what seems like forever. Gives grens another way to help the team.

It also will make armory's more valuable. Plus it's another thing to protect.. I hate when a lone wolf tank is in your base and he runs out of ammo so he just hops out drops a crate and keeps killing you.. If we could kill it he would have to fall back or use team work.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What about letting the engi decide if he wants a (dangerous)
    ammo crate or some ammo packs. Like the engi can refill the ammo
    of one soldier and the ability has 5 charges. Oh and he cant give ammo
    to himself that way (same as healing). He can refill the ability in armorys
    or barracks.

EDIT: Make it so your team gets 25 damage from a exploding ammo crate but the owner of the crate gets 130 damage :3

11. o_O

o_O Member

Only if we can put these asploding ammo packs into the back of a jeep :)

srsly though, it would cut down on nade spamming and stuff, but it would also be harder to get people to drop ammo and there would be alot more sitting around loading up as soon as you spawn.

I would say, ammo boxes should be destroyable but not explode.

12. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I use the NF ammo crate for cover all the time. Just go prone behind it and *presto* instawall!

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

fuck yeah, im all for goldeneye ammo crates

14. zenarion

zenarion Member

I think I misunderstood the original post.
    Blow up the enemy ammo crate by throwing nades at it, why not.
    Blow it up for explosion, additional damage?
    Or blow it up to just make it disappear?

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Tl;dr. @ Shadow: Remote explode is stupid. No. It's an ammo crate, not a bomb.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Congratulations, you've now guaranteed that no engineer is ever going to risk his life by dropping an ammo crate for anyone else while they're in combat.

If I drop an ammo crate for myself, I can easily dart someplace hidden and out of the way and re-arm, or drop a wall for cover and use that. If I want to nadespam, it's easy to do it from cover -- that's the whole idea of spam, not having to see the enemy or expose yourself to their shots. You'd force people to drop a wall in addition to their crate, but so what?

The only time I have to drop ammo crates in places where the could be blown up is when I'm dropping an ammo crate for other people, because there's no easy way to get people to use my ammo crate unless I drop it right in front of them, in an easy to see spot (which means the enemy will see it easily, too.)

You will also end up with teeth-gratingly annoying situations where you drop an ammo crate someplace for your team, and they fail to defend it or one lucky shot hits it randomly, blowing it up and annoying everyone. Again, you get the same result -- this is an "keep engineers from dropping crates for other people" suggestion.

It's just poorly thought out. It won't get rid of the things that people want to get rid of, but it will discourage engineers from doing what they're supposed to be doing. It feels like it's fueled more by a desire to RAAH PUNISH nadespam or engineers who are hiding behind their box, rather than actually solving the problem.

If you want to stop engineers from using their ammo boxes for cover (which, again, I think is an utterly stupid and unimportant concern, since walls do the same thing just as easily), make ammo crates not stop bullets. If you want to stop nade-spam (which, again, I don't think this suggestion is actually going to fix), change the way crates dispense ammo.

And, basically, dropping an ammo crate for your squad and having it immediately destroyed would be teeth-gratingly annoying. What, are you saying there should never be ammo crates near the frontlines? That means no dropping ammo for your teammates, basically, because they're not going to know the hidden niche where you dropped it, or know where to fall back to.

Engineers are supposed to drop ammo crates right up against the front lines where there are nades and bullets flying everywhere. That part isn't a problem; it's something that should be encouraged, not discouraged.

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I see stupid people.

Seriously now, wow, I thought you better than that. Making Nadespam harder is a shit argument against something. It's an amazing argument for something since nadespam is stupid. You sit there on an ammo crate chucking nade after nade. There is no skill involved. I hope the devs get around to MOOtant's intended but ever implemented anti-spam changes.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

That's not what I mean. Everyone hates nadespam.

What I mean is, the suggestion here won't make nadespam harder, because people who are planning on nadespamming you are, ideally, not going to be placing the box where you can see or shoot at it anyway (because if you can shoot at the box, you could easily kill them with a nade or mortar yourself, and probably with a rifle unless they're perfectly lined up against you personally.) At worst you're forcing them to drop a wall and a box, but usually not even that. If you could hit the box behind the wall, you could hit the player throwing the grenades, too -- the suggestion doesn't accomplish anything.

Some people tried to argue that making boxes explode would prevent nadespamming, and my point is, it won't. This suggestion discourages engineers from putting boxes where their teammates will see them, yes, and discourages engineers from dropping boxes for other people in high-activity areas more generally (because a box in a high-fire area won't last long enough to help multiple people anyway, you'd be better off saving it for yourself -- never mind the abhorrently bad extension of having its explosion do damage to every friendly nearby, screwing over your entire team), but it doesn't stop nadespam the way people were claiming it would.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  19. zenarion

zenarion Member

How about ammo boxes have X ammount of HP and just break, without any damaging effects when out of HP?

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

See, this isn't completely retarded.