Exercises in creative writing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lazybum, May 18, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Time is ticking down, hands spinning fast on the clock, heart racing, can't stand this pressure. I'm about to give, surrender to the situation, then...

"FINE, I can see you are as uncooperative as always. We'll stop for today, I do hope you see it from our point of view though. You can keep hanging around for a bit longer though, red is such a nice color for your face." With that the lady in the suit stands from her chair and walks out the door. Even from this this predicament I can at least appreciate the nice view she gives me. Looking down at the shackles on my feet, I can't help but wonder why they would set up shop in this old ass castle. Cobwebs all over the ceiling aren't helping the feeling of being trapped here much longer then I actually have been.

Been here for only 3 days, but won't be here much longer. I know my brother is coming, he wouldn't let me down in a time like this. Especially when it's his fault I got stuck here in the first place. "Oh it will be quick and easy" he says,"quick in and out job, grab and go" he says. Quick my ass, plan sure fell to pieces real quick and he was sure quick to bail on me.

I will say there is something about the thrill of helping this incompetent fool, much more thrilling then my usual day job of being a janitor. Though now looking at my situation I can see why even though his plans always go awry he never actually gets caught. He has someone else get caught, and as I stare at a spider weave another web I can't help but not be angry at him, no it's simply amazement, amazement he keeps pulling shit like this and gets away with it.

I do ponder a bit though, why there's so much interest in that old book we stole. Admittedly it's not quite stolen, it's still here in the castle, I hid it behind a loose brick in a wall before getting caught. Also admittedly, with a slight apprehension to even think it, my brother might only come bail me out simply to get the book himself. Hmm, maybe I'll get a chance to read it when we get out. BANG

The door drops down on the floor, with a resonating thud. He's here, the smug bastard. Got a big shit eating grin on his face too. "Hey bro, how's it hanging? I'm gonna get you down in a jiffy, so just hold on for a second while I take care of this lock." I interrupt saying,"hold on, take these binds off my hands first, so I can stop myself from dropping on my head." He nods and cuts the binds off my hands. I proceed to deck him square in the face.

He stumbles back a bit, but his smile doesn't fade. "Oh come now, don't be like that. I came back didn't I?" He then gives a straight jab to my gut. "Now settle down for a sec, we don't have much time to fool around like this." After a unceremonious drop to my noggin I stand back up, quite a bit woozy from hanging upside down for so long. "Now, lead on to the book. I know you hid it and there's no way they would keep you hanging around if you told them where it was." With a gruff "hmph" I lead on, feeling just a tad better to finally be able to get out of here.

So yeah, I'm totally out of practice and I just know there's grammar errors, especially with dialogue I think. Deal with it. Also feel like writing something yourself? Go for it, let's see what ya got.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. Ranger

Ranger Member

I've done some writing myself. What I can tell you is that the language you use should fit the time your story takes place. I read castles so I suppose it medieval? Game of Thrones is uses such language. The Witcher games are also an example. Skyrim not so much but it does have its medieval charm here and there.

For example you can't say "motherfucker" or "okay" or "bro" because these are modern words and also a fair amount of expressions.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just because he writes castle doesnt mean its in medieval times, theres still a lot left. the guy hanging around is jaintor, a modern job, the language is also modern like you said.

the first picture that jumped to my mind was the castle from avengers 2. and i also imagined a similar setting, a bit more agent-thriller or some sort of heist action movie maybe.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  4. Ranger

Ranger Member

just saying

5. flasche

just saying aswell :D

6. Lazybum

"Time for a walk." Ohh, walks. Haven't done it all day. Happy happy. Pad up to him, shove face into his gut. "Whoa now, not there. Stitches haven't recovered yet, but it's good to see you excited. Come here for a second" Stretch neck out so it's easier, hurts less this way. Stat pacing, getting excited. WHOOSH, cold air feels great. No snow, it's ok, still see grass. "Just a quick walk now, can't be out too long now." Start slow, he doesn't like going fast. Check local notice board, Mitzy and Brutus were here. Maybe couple hours ago, I sign off. Got to let them know I'm here. Go to turn but he pulls me right."Going a slightly different route this time, you're gonna meet someone new." He gives me a smile, makes me happy. Don't go often this way, exciting. Turn into new house, never been here. Wonder what's in there. "Ok we're here. Give me just a moment, got to get her attention. I'm sure she'll be excited to meet you." She? Curious. Knock knock, door opens up. Woman stand there, tall, tall as man. Smiling at man, makes me uneasy. She looks down at me, her smile fades.

"Holy shit! Is that a tiger? Why do you have a tiger? Why are you walking it around like this? Are you crazy?"

"Hold on there Darcy, she's harmless. I've had her for the last 8 years, never had any problems. I wanted you to meet her, after all we're seeing each other right? So that means you're going to be seeing more of her too." He pets my head. Feels nice, but I feel troubled. Why does he keep smiling at this woman?

"This is, this is crazy. Tigers are dangerous, you can't expect me to just jump into this like I was meeting a dog or something. Wait, noooo... That injury! She caused it didn't she? And you say she's harmless? She harmed you!"

"Now see here, it wasn't intentional. She would never do that on purpose. I just made a mistake is all. You remember that accident I had? When I went for a walk with her a couple of weeks ago she pulled me to safety, she just used a little too much force is all."

"You said the car did that! You mean you lied to me?" I don't like this, they keep getting louder.

"Well that's what I told the police, I couldn't say she did it. They would have taken her away from me, with claims of her being dangerous or something. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to get the wrong impression of her."

"Well it doesn't seem like this panned out like you planned. I think she's dangerous, you say you had her for 8 years and she did that to you? What would she do to me? And to think you lied, you jackass." I growl, stand in front of him. She's not going to harm him. "AAAH!! I told you!" She goes to close the door.

"Hold it!" He stops the door from being closed."I know you're new to this neighborhood, but everyone here knows how sweet she is. She's just getting defensive because she doesn't know you, and you keep raising your voice at me." He keeps talking to her, it's upsetting.

"Dale, I can't do this. Not right now. Just take her away, she's scares me. Please, do this for me." She shoves his arm off and slams the door."Dale, I like you, I want this to work, but this is a lot to take in. Just, just give me time. Just a few days. I need to think it over." I look up to him, he's not smiling. He almost looks sad.

"Ok. I can do that. I can give you time. But, I'm not going to ever get rid of her. It's a package deal, me and her, so if you can't find it in your heart to love her, then this is the end for us." Tears start forming in his eyes. He looks at me, and smiles. Pets me on head. "Come on, lets go home. It's getting cold out." Happy we are getting away, but sad to see his tears, his expression. I don't want him to be sad.

Well this is a bit different, more dialog. Feels flat, but I'll get the hang of it. Writing in this fashion is also hard... Inb4 tigers don't act that way. Oh, Last thing is I'm kinda making a promise to myself to only post in this thread if I actually write something. After all it's all about creative writing.

7. Lazybum

"Now I have a thing or 2 to say about that", I say pointing at the corpses that now litter my floor."You know how hard it is to get good minions these days? Takes ages, that's what. Gotta test for reliability, gotta test for loyalty, gotta test things like smarts and strength. It's a pain is what it is." I take a swig out of my glass, at least whisky never fails to disappoint me. "Whelp, it's just me now. Time for my evil monologue I guess..." I stare slightly unfocused at the ceiling for a second, trying to think up a good one.

"Evil monologue? Do you think you're the villain here? That's my job! I'm here to get back at you for all times you troubled me, all the times you thwarted my plans, all the henchmen I've lost to you. You think you can just go where ever the hell you please and make my job unbearably difficult. Then you have the gall to be praised a hero, and even get money from it! Meanwhile, I'm living in sewer compound because I can't make any cash because you, you asshole, keep taking it from me! Well no more! I'm here to take you out so I can finally be free, free to do whatever the hell I please!."

"Hey, that's not a bad monologue, mind if I steal it?" I give a slight applause, it didn't sound bad to me. Maybe a bit childish, but he is a bit of a kid. He says,"Hell no! It's mine you insufferable twit. Now get down here and fight me!" I shake my head a bit, I say, "I'm not entirely up to this right now, some guy just destroyed half my secret layer and murdered all my minions. I rather like having minions. Can't you come back some other time? Preferably with a bottle of whisky?" I look down at my empty glass. Damn shame that.

"ARRRGGGHH, THAT'S IT. You're dying now." With that he raises his arm with a contraption on it, which starts making a couple of beeping sounds. That's not usually a good sign if it comes from an arm. I quickly dive off my platform before it explodes. Glass still empty, I look around for a second to see if I stashed a bottle somewhere. During my search I hear another beeping sound. Ahh, found one hidden behind a crate. I join it to escape another explosion, though the crate did a less then stellar job of shielding me from the blast. I cradle the bottle in my arms as I get propelled into the open. I got some shrapnel in my back but it's not bad, body armor doing it's job. Another thing that usually doesn't disappoint me. I hear another sound behind me, a couple of clicks and a sorta slosh sound. That can't be good. I dive behind a pillar as flames envelope around me. I'm not in direct line of fire but it's not going to last, so I quickly pop open the bottle and take a swig from it. Clears my head it does. I turn around, jump, and kick off the pillar to grab onto the platform above me. I can see him start to move around the pillar, and I throw the bottle at his head. It's a direct hit, shattering and spilling out it's content the alcohol ignites from his flame thrower, setting his pants on fire.

"Oh dear, have we been telling lies? Tut tut, that's no good." I hoist myself up while he puts out the flames. He yells, " GODDAMN IT, would you take this seriously for once?" I yell back, "NEVER! Your anger fuels me, ha ha ha. Seriously though, that looks like it smarts, you ok?"

I lost where I was going with this, derp. Was fun while it lasted. Also going to use this italicized font for when I'm talking.

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Please think of the poor moderators that have to read this.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I ate a chocolate cake yesterday.

10. Lazybum

The nefarious moderator strikes again, deleting posts that don't align with his agenda. This time will be different, for we, the glorious Dark Craterians, will launch a political assault on the tyranny gripping our fair Kingdom's forums. We will get the word out that the we have been shackled long enough, oppressed to the point of meeting in dark teamspeaks and other forums, but no more we say! People, posters, and possibly players, stand up! STAND UP! Stand against this, for if we band together, if we make our voices heard, they will be forced to comply. They can't ban all of us, else they will be left with a wasteland. They know this, a situation they desperately want to avoid. After all what good is power with no one to use to against? Abuse it against? They desperately seek to flaunt their power, for it is all they have here. So if we strike back, they will be forced to give into our demands. It will be a great day for us, for we shall have justice.

I can't keep this going, it's too silly. Honestly though, why you reading this? Afraid of my secret messages to other dark craterians? Or just don't want to deal with terrible writing? I'd have shoved it in the bears arsehole but sadly that place isn't here anymore. I wouldn't worry about anything potentially ban worthy, I'm a pg-13 kinda guy after all.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I like turtles.

12. FN198

FN198 Member

^fox and the grapes

13. flasche

the tiger story is actually pretty nice