Equalibrium

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grayclay88, Aug 12, 2006.

1. sgman

sgman Member

that movie was just a rip off of the bood farenhiet 411(somthing like that), almost the exact basic story.

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

that sounds like a firefighter movie combined with that fat guy who makes documentaries.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

in an interview with the author, that i had read alonh with the book, the brave new world guy (forgot his name) said if he had to write the book over again he would have had a 3rd culture. the 2 in the book (the future one and the savage one) were 2 different forms of insanity; the 3rd culture would have been a sane middle ground.

on topic: the best part was the gun fight at the very end with the 2 clerics trying to keep the pistols from pointing at them

i didnt bother to post spoilers cause i figure if your this far into the thread you hsve seen the movie, or sont care about spoilers.

4. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Fahrenheit 451 was a book about censorship, fascism, and some other stuff. Basically, controlling society by controlling information.

And it was writtin in the 1950s.

5. Chahk

Chahk Member

And by none other than Ray Bradbury. Most of his works would make excellent sci-fi movies.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Except that Fahrenheit 451 has, as far as I know, had horrendous movies made of it.

:-/

Oh well. Starship Troopers got messed up bad, too... Poor Heinlein. Poor Bradbury.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Starship Troopers the movie was great. I hated the book. The book was full of itself with all the military jingoism. The movie made the characters a bit more down to earth.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The series of Starship troopers was also pretty good, with the soldier reporting everything with his camera.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

the book was great, the movie was great just in a different way, the 2nd movie was worse than cube2 or trimmers3, and i only saw a few of the cartoons but the series looked real good.

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I used to watch the series all the time. Was a pain in the arse that they stopped making episodes during the earth invasion =(

11. Chahk

Chahk Member

Anyone played the god-aweful excuse for a game they dared to call "Starship Troopers"?

12. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I tried but it hurt my happy :(

13. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Which one? I assume you mean the most recent one, so yes. It was a discrace just like all the others. And just like the sequel to the first movie sucked.

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

it was dumb. the movie was awesome, but the game was an awful excuse for a game-movie conversion.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

IMO, the movie was decent... AS A MOVIE. As something based off the book, however, it was an absolute failure. On an aesthetic level, where the hell's my power armor? Gimme my damn power armor??? And why aren't the bugs shooting? Why are they biting? WTFerskaets?

On a deeper level, I can understand how sometimes it's hard to fit a book into a movie, but...

Jeez. That was just plain bad.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The skinnies were the ones who were somewhat human and could shoot. The bugs still acted like bugs. I guess if you really loved power armor you would be disappointed in the movie.

17. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I played the demo... It was crap, plain & simple.

18. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I just watched the movie (starship troopers) for the first time tonight. I read the book a number of years ago but i think the movie is just as good if not better. The biggest difference (imo) between the book and the movie is that the book was written seriously, while the movie is a satire. I really loved how the movie was done, and i'm definately bringing it with me to college this fall.

While we're drifting off topic (oh, btw, i have yet to see Equilibrium), has anyone heard the song Starship Trooper by the band Yes? I don't know if it was written after the book (though theres a good chance) but its a kickass song from the best prog rock band ever.

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Robert A. Heinlein is a freakin' psycho.

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Starship Troopers was written in, I believe, the late '50s. Strangely, some of the military concepts got used in Vietnam.